Gas Safe Certificate

amzjb

My husband and I are planning to go to France next spring, and are wondering whether we'll need a gas safe certificate for our vehicle which is a self-built panel van conversion. We've heard that some French campsites require a certificate, but cannot find any more information. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Paul & Jocelyn Allen

Hi amzjb - and welcome to the forum.

Can I ask where you heard that from ?

We've been going to France for many years and have never heard of a Gas Safe Certificate - certainly never been mentioned on a campsite.

When we used the tunnel a few years ago no one asked for a certificate, so I'm interested to know where you got the info from.

Guest JudgeMental
This is something Paul & Jocelyn (Welcome by the way!:-D) have possibly picked up on a home built camper forum? As I have heard of homebuilt vans being excluded from some sites.....

We do have our vans origional certificate and always carry it, as with all the other documentation for the van, but we have been going 'over there' for many years and never been asked for any gas certification by either the carriers or the sites we have used.

There is possibly some requirement for an inititial survey and certification for a newly constructed van, though not from the gas safety authority point of view as motorhomes and caravans are specifically excluded from the Gas Safety Regulations (unless being used for hire or reward), but from the likes of the NCC (National Caravan Council) who lay down the requirements to achieve BS EN 1645. However a self build would not have such certification so maybe that is where this has arrisen from. Some insurers won't insure self builds either, but I have never heard of anyone being asked to provide evidence of Gas Certification.

Bas

I have built three 'Self Build' campers. Only been asked for any form of gas certification once, that was by the present insurers (first time of insuring). They required certification that the installation is to current safety standards etc. They were happy for Dave Newell to check the installation and provide a document confirming installation standards.

I have travelled into Europe many times during the past twenty years and have never been asked for any such documentation either on crossings or at camp sites. September / October this year we used the Channel tunnel where no questions were asked other than a check that the gas was turned off at the cylinder on both crossings.

They are required in Germany, and a test is required, I think, every three years. However, I have not, to date been asked to produce one on any German sites.

They are not, at present, a requirement in UK, though I have heard mutterings about compulsory MoT type safety checks for UK registered vans. As your van is a self-build, I assume there will have been some certification of your gas and electrical installation for insurance purposes, but can't imagine the average French camp site warden wanting sight of that or, to be honest, having sufficient understanding of technical English to understand one if presented!

Don't know if they are a requirement of the French tests but, as with others above, I have never been asked for such at any French site we have visited over the past 5 years, whether Municipal, or privately owned. However, if still worried, do as Art suggests, and contact the clubs.

amzjb - 2011-11-07 3:44 PM

My husband and I are planning to go to France next spring, and are wondering whether we'll need a gas safe certificate for our vehicle which is a self-built panel van conversion. We've heard that some French campsites require a certificate, but cannot find any more information. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Paul & Jocelyn Allen

When I bought my Hobby in Germany in 2005, the German dealer told me that German campsites were increasingly demanding to see a current 'gas check' certificate. I've no idea if this information was correct and, having never stayed on a German campsite, haven't been able to test it experimentally.

As far as I'm aware, (like the UK) there are no French regulations demanding that a leisure-vehicle's (motorhome or caravan) habitation systems be regularly checked and certificated and - during the last 13 years - I've never been asked for technical documentation when I've stayed on French campsites.

French campsites are regularly temporary homes to "gens de voyage" travellers with all manner of leisure-vehicles, and I'm certain they don't get interrogated about their vehicle's gas safety certification! It's commonplace on French campsites to see vehicles that look exactly like a commercial panel-van except for, say, a little roof- or side-window and (sometimes) an awning and nobody cares whether or not these are 'proper' camping-cars. There's virtually no chance that French campsite wardens will have the depth of knowledge to allow them to identify that your motorhome is a self-built PVC rather than a factory-built motorhome and, even if they could, no chance that they'd discriminate against it.

As malc d said earlier, it would be interesting to learn how you gained the impression that French campsites might ask for certification.

Many thanks for all your helpful, informative comments. It's hard to say exactly how we heard about this - must have picked it up on our travels. It sounds as if we've got it wrong. In any case, there's nothing mentioned on the Caravan Club website. So it's a relief to know that this is something we don't need to be concerned about.

Guest JudgeMental
amzjb - 2011-11-13 9:45 AM

So it's a relief to know that this is something we don't need to be concerned about.

did you install gas system yourselves or did you have it professionally fitted by converter?

do you have a wall mounted regulator in an isolated compartment and is the floor ventilated ?

JudgeMental - 2011-11-14 3:47 PM

Hmmm....Gone very quiet :-D

Information about motorhome gas system requirements is readily available from the SBMCC and from John Wickersham's "Build Your Own Motorcaravan" book. There are many more factors involved than just the few you've mentioned and I would question that a wall-mounted regulator is a prerequisite for a self-builder. Plainly there is a need for a sealed/ventilated locker if gas-canisters are to be carried, but Paul & Jocelyn's motorhome may have an external gas-tank. When you ask "...is the floor ventilated?" are you referring to the floor of a (potential) gas-locker or to 'drop vents' in the floor of the vehicle's interior?

• 10 years later...
Went to fill GPL tank yesterday in Ruffec. The attendant would not turn the pump on until we produced a certificate. I explained it was certified and the label was on the underslung tank. Shoulder shrugs and ok this time but if I wanted to fill again I must produce the certificate.

That Piece of Paper Means Nothing. Show me one how it look likes And what authority. Only a brand new motorhome has a proper leak test whit soap and water. At least Germany built. DVGW RULES. Not A clue rules in the UK. Running whit it on LPG is your own Responsibility. So be sure for yourself that your LPG or camping gas pipes are leak free in practice. No certificates needed on the run. Dixit gas engineer for 36 years.

Archived