Spare Wheel or Not - Help and advice please

enodreven

Hi,

Just purchased a new Fiesta and it doesn't have a spare wheel just a pump type system which I believe fills the punctured tyre with foam or something.

My question is what are the for's and against's in not having a spare any advice would be welcome I can purchase a spare with jack etc. for around £100 should | or should I stay with the pump system.

Sorry if it's a bit 'after the horse has bolted' but you should have ordered the car with a spare wheel. It would only have cost you £50 then not the £100 it is now.

The dealer we bought off automatically orders a spare wheel unless you ask them not to.

And now to answer your question, the only puncture we have had in any of our last 4 Fiestas was a screw through the tread in a repairable location but it was only discovered late on a Friday evening and if we had only had the pump & Goo would have meant leaving the car without a wheel in Birmingham until we could get the tyre repaired the following day. As we had a spare it was no problem.

So my view is spare wheel every time!

Keith.

Hi, Keith

Thanks for the reply and I do take your point regarding the situation you describe so with that in mind I think I will probably purchase a spare wheel.

I have just checked on the dealers web site and the optional extra of a spare wheel which I could have chosen when ordering is £95 plus Vat making it total at £114, and I have just found a brand new one complete with the jack and brace plus the insert which holds the jack etc for £90 so on this occasion I seem to have done the right thing.

http://hartwell.co.uk/new-cars/?lnk=202&make=ford&capid=52751

Keithl - 2011-11-08 6:02 PM

Sorry if it's a bit 'after the horse has bolted' but you should have ordered the car with a spare wheel. It would only have cost you £50 then not the £100 it is now.

The dealer we bought off automatically orders a spare wheel unless you ask them not to.

And now to answer your question, the only puncture we have had in any of our last 4 Fiestas was a screw through the tread in a repairable location but it was only discovered late on a Friday evening and if we had only had the pump & Goo would have meant leaving the car without a wheel in Birmingham until we could get the tyre repaired the following day. As we had a spare it was no problem.

So my view is spare wheel every time!

Keith.

I must admit it has been some time since we last had a puncture but having said that the last ones we have had would not have been repairable with goo so for me it's a no brainer I quite simply would never buy a vehicle without a spare though I don't mind it being a space saver.

Must admit that it's not that long ago that we got a puncture in the car, when we'd just pulled out from a carpark after being round a car boot sale on a Sunday ... fortunately we were able to change the wheel and were on our way 10 minutes later. I don't know how we would've got on had we not had a spare and had to use goo instead, but I think we would have got home with it okay. It turned out that we'd picked up a screw which was still in the tyre when hubby took it to be repaired ... for once he didn't have a 'screw loose'!!! (lol)

Many vehicles have what is called a 'spacesaver' which is a mini wheel. It is designed to get you home but using it for towing has raised a lot of questions. However, as many vehicles have what one could call 'huge wheels' the actual act of changing it can be a hernia inducing experience especially if it is on a busy road. The change from studs to bolts has meant getting alignment is a slightly more hairraisiing act than before. I would assume all on this Forum have a torque wrench in the boot, but the general public?? So, many people just call the recovery service and they will either pump it with goo to get you home, fit the spare whatever it is, or recover the vehicle to a safe place for a professional outfit to change.

Whcih path you should follow depends on a)your physical fitness and b) your knowledge of what you are going to do and c) the space to actually do it.

When my father had a puncture in the Suzi he decided to ditch space saver and get a full sized replacement, I thought he was overcautious to do this, but the car (now passed to me after my fathers death) has averaged a puncture every 18months 8-)

colin - 2011-11-08 8:12 PM

When my father had a puncture in the Suzi he decided to ditch space saver and get a full sized replacement, I thought he was overcautious to do this, but the car (now passed to me after my fathers death) has averaged a puncture every 18months 8-)

When I first read your post Colin I thought you must live in the Newmarket area but then I saw it was Bedfordshire which is not the first place you think of when it comes to shed horseshoe nails.

I have had one in the 'van in over 100,000 miles and that was a horseshoe nail after some very rural roads on the Devon/ Somerset border.

The goo might be a quick solution to get mobile but due to the weight of our vehicles its almost certain once the tyre has deflated and whilst coming to rest the rim will have pinched the tyre against the road damaging the fabric. It may not be immediatly obvious but the only safe course after a puncture is to get a new tyre.

Goo will plug punctures but it cannot deal with structural breakdown.

There is an issue with a numbver of vehicles in that the wheel well will not take a full size spare, so you have to carry it loose in the boot or back, not such a good idea. I also repeat the wieght of the wheels as an issue having struggled with my Volvo alloys. Trying to do that at the side of a busy road in the rain holds little appeal.

George Collings - 2011-11-10 4:41 PM

colin - 2011-11-08 8:12 PM

When I first read your post Colin I thought you must live in the Newmarket area but then I saw it was Bedfordshire which is not the first place you think of when it comes to shed horseshoe nails.

I think it's just an unlucky car when it comes to punctures, none of our other cars has had so many.

Dave225 - 2011-11-10 5:11 PM

There is an issue with a numbver of vehicles in that the wheel well will not take a full size spare, so you have to carry it loose in the boot or back, not such a good idea.

My father cut a sheet of insulation to make boot floor flat and placed carpet on top, I now have the best insulated boot on the road :D

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2011-11-08 8:12 PMWhen my father had a puncture in the Suzi he decided to ditch space saver and get a full sized replacement, I thought he was overcautious to do this, but the car (now passed to me after my fathers death) has averaged a puncture every 18months 8-)
18 months8-).................You is lucky...........I've had 2 this year8-)................I put it down to the fact that we now have third world roads*-)........but first world budgets8-).............Makes you wonder where all the dosh is going;-)...........Paving roads or pensions?

Archived