Do Windscreen Covers really work?

Dimples

Hi

We have got some reasonable quality interior silver screens and apart from the fact the suckers that attach them to the windscreen are pretty poor, they do add some insulation and if they do stick they cut down the condensation in colder weather. However we still have to put an absorbent towel at the bottom to soak up the condensation that forms. So in our experience interior ones work but only to a point. 'Does anyone know if you can replace or rejuvinate the suckers'?

Dave

Do they work? They black-out the screen and cab door windows when fully fitted. They reduce heat loss through windscreen and cab door windows; the better ones are thicker and more costly. The external ones reduce, but do not always eliminate, condensation on windscreen and cab door windows, the internal ones do this less well.

Are they worth the hassle of fitting? Only, IMO, if you are travelling during cold weather. We have an external screen, and travel April to early November, mostly in continental Europe. We have the Remis concertina windscreen and cab door window blinds for privacy, they provide negligible insulation. We get condensation in mornings if the night has been cold. It is easier dealing with the condensation than fitting/removing the external insulating screen. So, the screen is only fitted in winter, when the van is laid up with a low wattage heater inside. I would not wish to have to fit, remove, or store, when wet, the external screen.

WE used ours twice before we sold the van . Cannot remember the company but they were the dearer version Silver screensmaybe ?. Anyway we used it in the South of France and it kept the sun out and the camper cool. And we used it up the French Alps when stationary for over a week , I have to say we only use the outside one and we did not pull the inside fitted blinds. We had no condensation and hubby keeps the van redhot because he likes his creature comforts and the children have to be warm as they couldnt say if they were cold.

When we sold the van we hung on to them just incase . I would say yes they work.

Condensation is a function of ventilation, with or without screens you will have condensation, its just that with internal screens you are preventing the screen being warm enough to stop the water vapour condensing on the inside.

i have had both types and personally prefer internals, although condensation does form on the inside its a lot less hassle than trying to deal with a set of floppy externals after a wet/snowy night......

Are they worth it? Is the caravan portion of your MH double glazed?

We find it extends the livable area into the cab (with an A class or any other type with swivelling seats) and reduces the heat requirement so saves on gas. With internals you can use the large piece to act as a sun screen to keep the van cooler too while keeping the side windows open to aid cooling.

We use our van throughout the year(UK only)and we use internal screens...yes,there can be some condensation but that's only really an issue on the morning of departure and easily cured with a quick wipe... ;-)

(..and I've never really liked the thought of having to store wet external screens.... :-S )

I dare say external screens would keep the front of the van slightly warmer..but in all honesty,if it's getting that cold, that any difference between to two types becomes an issue,then I'll be packing up and heading home anyway... (lol)

Silverscreens external every time now.  We had internal screens on our Rollerteam and had very bad condensation....and that moisture has to go somewhere like down the back of the dashboard.  We decided to invest in what we thought to be the best available and since having our external Silverscreen we have had 'no' condensation...it is easy to fit and remove....it insulates in winter...helps keep the inside cool in summer and has a centre section to pull down during the day to allow us to 'spy'....so money well  spent.  Highly recommended.

The first set of internal screens we had(Transit)were,I think,Milenco?

(...although they were shaped to fit the Transit cab,the suckers on the side screens, fell on the "quarter light" pillar *-) )

Not sure of our current make,as the dealer supplied them..but I doubt very much,that they'd be overly expensive ones...

(..To start with we did have trouble with the "suckers" not holding but after some use,if anything,they now sometimes hold too well and can be a bit difficult to get off... :-S )

..as for any condensation that may run down into the dash'..we just tuck a couple of tea towels at the base of the windscreen..and then,once the screens have been removed,just use them to wipe the windscreen if need be..

Yes silverscreen all the time ,in summer the fixing over door allows for windows to left open for air flow,great for stopping condensation,We brought the Silverscreen that allows you to drop the front down during day so you can see out so no need to remove if staying on site.

ips - 2012-02-07 4:10 PM

Yes they work, however we have used ours twice in two years. I dont like the fact that I cant see anything out the windows, I feel somewhat enclosed.

That's a very good point..We used to just fit them automatically when we pitched up but now because of the reason you state,we're finding that only use them when it's really cold(or really hot!)

We've only got internal screens from Van Comfort and find they are all we need.

We get very little condensation even in (just) sub-zero temps and find it very easy to wipe off with a chamois, it certainly doesn't 'run' down the windows.

They stay lovely and clean and we store them on the overcab bed when not in use. We also like the fact we can remove them without having to go outside and can get the full view from the cab windows with ease.

Finally I would not like to have to man-handle and store soggy wet external screens when the weather has been bad.

Just my personal opinions you appreciate!

Keith.

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2012-02-07 5:33 PM

Finally I would not like to have to man-handle and store soggy wet external screens when the weather has been bad.

Keith.

We hang ours up in the loo when its wet............and usually its dry by the time we stop for lunch :D

Hi

we have the Taylor made external scree which i rate as v good. For me i would rather take on and off in winter rather than deal with condensation - its quicker and i put in its waterproof bag if its wet and store in the shower. (about 2 mins or so to put on and take off)

When we used to go sking and stay in our previous van we used both internal and external to give maximum insulation - we had temperatures down to -17C for extended periods and for us they did the biz.

I don't bother taking them in the summer.

Peter

For us they work really well as thermal insulation in either very cold or very warm weather and they are essential in Winter. For example we went to a party in Braemar in February 2008 and were warm as toast in temperatures of -10C outside. They are especially useful in vans where the cab is used as living or "lounging" accomodation and eliminate condensation on the inside of the windscreen.

Guest 1footinthegrave

We have an external silver screen. It does almost eliminate condensation on the cab windscreen, but I do wonder where it ends up instead, it gets used rarely as a result.

Plus because we wild camp,and make use of Aires a lot, should you wish to leave in a hurry you need to get out to remove it. Only found ourselves in that position once, but was nice to just turn the key and go. ;-)

We have Taylor Made external, easy to fit but like Brian rarely use them and never bother to carry them from April until November. They take up far to much room and really make no differance unless weather gets really cold. Used once last year for three days in York during December, waste of money unless going skiing in the van.

we used to have 'solar/frost' silver screens in the other van, very thin, folded away to nothing, - good in a small van, and in one piece, so you could leave cab windows open for extra ventilation without it being noticeable from the outside.

Only real down side was - as said in an earlier thread - they made the cab area dark [also limited the amount of nosey parkering that I could do

unfortunately silver screens no longer make them.

we've some from JustKampers - 3 pieces - for the new T5, use them in winter to keep screen clear of ice, much quicker to remove them then de-ice windows, and summer when it's very hot

excellent idea,

never bothered with interior screens though - too bulky to store

PS - for VW types, try JustKampers - cheaper than Silver Screen and Taylormade

Dimples - 2012-02-07 12:58 PM

I am considering buying a silver screen for the front windscreen but wondered if they really do prevent heat loss and are worth the investment and hassle of installing each trip?

Views welcome? (?)

yes, they work, they (exterior screencovers) also stop condensation from forming inside the Windscreen, and keep the cab area from losing the heat.

Used mine in - 10c this year, wouldn't attempt winter camping without them.

In the Summer they keep the cab cool, the front Folds down during the day, so don't feel 'closed in',

after rain, I just give them a shake and pop them back into the bag, at the next stop I 'air them'

at the same time I extend the Awning canopy and dry that off too. Second nature.

Ray ;-)

External screens every time, they kill condensation dead, provide some insulation, they are waterproof so do not become soggy in wet weather, a quick shake to shed excess moisture, into their waterproof bag and stored in shower. As others have said a minute or less to fit or remove,, last week in SW Scotland 2 other MH's on site with us had horrendous condensation and frozen windscreens after heavy frost..

No contest in my opinion, I wouldn't be without them, we do have internal remis blinds but only use them in warmer weather..

Archived