Peterbourough advice from Warners on camping!

chris

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just resized a couple of photos of the water so let's see if I can post them...

No, Sorry this dam'n'd forum won't let me attach photos Error 500 :'( :'(

And then how many times did it post the failed attempt :$ :$ :$

Edit. And this damned website won't even let me post photos to a Gallery!

What has gone wrong Warners?

Has all the rain got to your servers?

For the people who still wish to defend Warners......including the traders ,Dave, have a look in the program site map, you will see that there never was going to be a non booked area ! WHERE IS THE YELLOW ?

How many days or even weeks ago would that have been printed hey, and traders are not going to have a go are they.........cos then they would be banned from Warners shows , maybe a good thing EH ! !

Answers on a postcard please to Maxine Shepherd at the Bourne address......she needs some serious help in organising along with poor Stephen Warner.

Me, Eddie ,Tracker and the gang of misfits on here could have made a better job ! ! !

Phil

Manu - 2012-04-29 6:57 PM

For the people who still wish to defend Warners......including the traders ,Dave, have a look in the program site map, you will see that there never was going to be a non booked area ! WHERE IS THE YELLOW ?

How many days or even weeks ago would that have been printed hey, and traders are not going to have a go are they.........cos then they would be banned from Warners shows , maybe a good thing EH ! !

Answers on a postcard please to Maxine Shepherd at the Bourne address......she needs some serious help in organising along with poor Stephen Warner.

Me, Eddie ,Tracker and the gang of misfits on here could have made a better job ! ! !

Phil

Now there`s a thing!!

Makes my 2nd post half way down page 3 carry a lot more weight !

peter - 2012-04-29 3:30 PM

We went on thursday and got bogged down to rear axle as soon as we went on the field. Rear wheel drive won't help in these apalling conditions. Got pulled out backwards by tractor on friday afternoon and parked up on access road to field. Cleared off on sat' morning thoroughly fed up and couldn't be bothered to march round all the stalls etc as it was purgatry. I am a bit cheesed off with LeVoyageur also, as the blanked off hole in the front bumper did not line up with the hole in the chassis member for the towing eye. Not good enough for a van costing the thick end of £100k.

One thing that warners could have, and should have done as a matter of course, considering it's been raining for weeks, is,to have erected a marquee for people to go in the dry to eat the food they have purchased at the stalls. Just not good enough. We will also not be pre booking in future, preffering to pay a bit extra if it's fine, and giving it a miss if it's wet and windy/cold, as it was this year.

All in all a total waste of time and money £42 for camping plus fuel. You live and learn.

I really feel sorry for the traders and people hoping to get off today and I was informed that only one tractor will be available on monday, heaven help the stragglers.

The whole thing was a disaster, darling, as they say on strictly.

Just with a nodding acknowledgement to comments made on another thread..............our front wheel drive IH drove onto the camping field on thursday and off again this morning with little difficulty Peter. We didn't spend anything like £100k on it though.............and if we had needed towing off the towing eye is perfectly accessible.

Funny how there are good and bad points with all motorhomes isn't it?

david

Guest Tracker
david lloyd - 2012-04-29 7:27 PM

Better than funny at times David - bloomin hilarious I reckon - mind you it couldn't have happened to anyone more deserving!!

Wer went to the show arriving Fri afternoon and got back this morning. Camped with the ASOC as we always do. Had originally booked until tomorrow but the weather was so bad we gave up.

Fri afternoon wasn`t too bad walking around and neither was yesterday but it rained continually last night and everwhere was a shocker. 8-) Got off the pitch ok tho. Too many people were over revving and digging themselves in. Considering it`s been raining heavily on and off here for the past 3 weeks the ground wasn`t as bad as I expected on arrival but it was last night`s downpour that seemed to finish things off.

My garden`s similary as waterlogged .....maybe I should blame Warners for that?

Guest peter
Tracker - 2012-04-29 7:51 PM

david lloyd - 2012-04-29 7:27 PM

Better than funny at times David - bloomin hilarious I reckon - mind you it couldn't have happened to anyone more deserving!!

You really are a nasty little sh1t aren't you dick. You seem more concerned about my predicament than I was. I got bogged in and got pulled off, so what. There are more important things in life to worry about. At least I haven't blamed the organisers for it, and I was actually there. What a prat!!.

Guest Tracker
peter - 2012-04-29 10:27 PM

You really are a nasty little sh1t aren't you dick. You seem more concerned about my predicament than I was. I got bogged in and got pulled off, so what. There are more important things in life to worry about. At least I haven't blamed the organisers for it, and I was actually there. What a prat .

Thanks for the second good laugh Peter and yes I do have to agree with what you say - you are indeed a pratt!

I must apologise for not adding some smileys to my posting so that you would have known that it was only a joke, but you are quite wrong if you think I was concerned about your predicament - totally wrong again in fact!!

You were there it seems - but given all the warnings and advice available and you still went I would keep quiet about it if I were you as it speaks volumes for your judgement!

Anyway by all means keep this spat alive if you want to as from my perspective of having more sense than to pre book a flood liable venue and much much more sense than to attend when I knew how bad it would be I for one am really enjoying your misery and embarrassment!

Best laugh I've had for ages and really makes up for all the unprovoked venom - sorry you call them jokes because they have smileys with them - you have thrown at me over the years!

For all the other people that had a poor weekend I do feel a lot of sympathy - especially the traders - but not for you - it couldn't have happened to a more deserving bloke!!

Oh such glee!!

Keithl - 2012-04-29 6:40 PM

I've just resized a couple of photos of the water so let's see if I can post them...

No, Sorry this dam'n'd forum won't let me attach photos Error 500 :'( :'(

And then how many times did it post the failed attempt :$ :$ :$

Edit. And this damned website won't even let me post photos to a Gallery!

What has gone wrong Warners?

Has all the rain got to your servers?

OK. I've added a few photos to Flickr and here is a link...

http://tinyurl.com/bqmp666

Sorry no mud, just water!

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
nothing like a picture is there! looks familiar enough to me.......reminds me of 2000/2002/2006 on and on and on... :D

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2012-04-30 9:20 AM

How I yearn for the 2006/2007 years when forum members were able to appreciate Frank Wilkinson, Starspririt and Peter engaging in friendly, witty, civilised discussiion. Those were the days...

Me too!

How I yearn for the 2006/2007 years when forum members were able to appreciate Frank Wilkinson, Starspririt and Peter engaging in friendly, witty, civilised discussiion. Those were the days...

Absolutely agree with you here, Derek....what a pity we seem to have a handful of contributors who cannot be at least civil and polite, and also accept that other people may disagree with them, but are just as entitled to their own views.

Surely it's about time the moderator intervened - some of these posts are frankly rude, totally unnecessary,and quite objectionable, and i think should be removed.

After all a forum is for constructive discussion about various topics, not for personal insults, I always thought.

I am sure that like me, quite a few contributors just tend to lose interest in these hi-jacked threads.and the whole forum is in danger of becoming downgraded and uninteresting.

Keithl - 2012-04-30 8:27 AM
Keithl - 2012-04-29 6:40 PMI've just resized a couple of photos of the water so let's see if I can post them...No, Sorry this dam'n'd forum won't let me attach photos Error 500 :'( :'(And then how many times did it post the failed attempt :$ :$ :$Edit. And this damned website won't even let me post photos to a Gallery! What has gone wrong Warners?Has all the rain got to your servers?
OK. I've added a few photos to Flickr and here is a link...http://tinyurl.com/bqmp666Sorry no mud, just water!Keith.

Nice Pics pleased I was not there reminds me of a campsite near Port Grimaud in May 2010

Derek, I totally agree. Some people just want to stir up an arguement. Very offputting for new and novice members.

Chris

Admittedly we were in the cattle shed, but from our point of view as traders it wasn't a bad show.

Reading other forums it seems most motorhomers there enjoyed themselves despite the wind, rain and mud. As is often the case, the old "blitz spirit" comes to the fore, and all the threads I read elsewhere are about motorhomers helping each other out in so many different ways, and having a fun time in general.

Maybe not everyone would agree, but for me motorhoming is about the spirit of adventure and sense of community, and that's what's coming through loud and clear on the other forums.

Just my 2.5p worth.

Steve :-)

Brit_Stops - 2012-04-30 7:16 PM

Admittedly we were in the cattle shed, but from our point of view as traders it wasn't a bad show.

Reading other forums it seems most motorhomers there enjoyed themselves despite the wind, rain and mud. As is often the case, the old "blitz spirit" comes to the fore, and all the threads I read elsewhere are about motorhomers helping each other out in so many different ways, and having a fun time in general.

Maybe not everyone would agree, but for me motorhoming is about the spirit of adventure and sense of community, and that's what's coming through loud and clear on the other forums.

Just my 2.5p worth.

We were outside and on Sunday morning our exhibition trailer had a good inch of water inside 8-) , not funny! We pulled out on Sunday morning but overall we had one of the best shows ever trade wise, definitely aided by carrying out some fittings over the weekend. Anyway we covered our costs and possibly even made it into profit (if you don't count the wine that I bought ;-) ). Its taken all of today with the trailer outside in the sunshine and its still not dried out so its now in the shop with blowers going inside and underneath to remove the water from the floor timbers, the carpet has been hanging on the fence for about 6 hours and is nearly dry. Walking boots have been in the sun for 8 hours and are now dry and had a new coating of waterproofing treatment so we're nearly ready for Newbury! :D

D.

Guest Tracker

Glad you had a good show in the softie section - dry and mud free!

I don't see anything like the sense of community from motor caravanners these days that there used to be in the 'old days' of the seventies and eighties when vans were unreliable and most folk would stop if they saw another van that looked to be in trouble.

These days so many people are wrapped up in their own lives and 'have to be somewhere else soon' holidays that they have no time for anyone else and it seems symptomatic of society in general as much as amongst motorhomers to shut the door and turn telly on in the evening rather than offer help or gather around for a yarn swap.

Even on this forum there are a only the dedicated few that will offer their expert help and a few that will offer their own experience as help to anyone with a problem and far too many others that never offer anyone any help or advice that seem hell bent on being offensive and disruptive without cause.

Dave Newell - 2012-04-30 7:32 PM

Just my 2.5p worth.

We were outside and on Sunday morning our exhibition trailer had a good inch of water inside 8-) , not funny! We pulled out on Sunday morning but overall we had one of the best shows ever trade wise, definitely aided by carrying out some fittings over the weekend. Anyway we covered our costs and possibly even made it into profit (if you don't count the wine that I bought ;-) ). Its taken all of today with the trailer outside in the sunshine and its still not dried out so its now in the shop with blowers going inside and underneath to remove the water from the floor timbers, the carpet has been hanging on the fence for about 6 hours and is nearly dry. Walking boots have been in the sun for 8 hours and are now dry and had a new coating of waterproofing treatment so we're nearly ready for Newbury! :D

D.

Glad to hear you're finally dried out and all set ready for Newbury, and that you had a good show. Don't blame you at all for upping sticks Sunday morning. From all accounts it was Somme-like out there! We decided to take the coward's way out on Wednesday after enjoying the rain and hail outside at Cheptstow the week before! We may yet of course need to dry out before Newbury ourselves after the Carmarthen show...

Steve

There were some decent bargains. I bought a Regatta waterproof with taped seams that according to the label was marked down from £65 to £15.

Its not the wettest Peterborough show we have been to but it was only about 6 degrees c and blowing a hoolie from the east and felt like it was well below freezing.. The stallholders just had to stick it out and Had my sympathy. Several I spoke to said that trade was bucking up a bit.

We had to leave early on Sunday anyway but woke at first light. As it seemed likely there would be a lot of pull offs blocking access roads later on we decided to cut and run before breakfast. After a quick reccie saw there was 4 inches depth of water between us and the tarmac but underneath was reasonably firm and managed to drive straight out. Could it have been anything to do with the M+S marked Chinese tyres? £311 for four last year and so far so good. The gateman said we were were the second away.

We first went to Peterborough in 1998 and I remember correctly a great deal of work has been done on levelling and improving drainage over much of the site since then. Its not perfect but to give 100 % hard standing would involve a huge area. I walked to the top of the Malvern hills and got a view of the show there a couple of years ago and it stretched about 3/4 by over a 1/2 mile wide.

Thanks to anyone who attended the seminars. Andy Stotherts was standing room only.

The 250 miles home was hard work in near gale force winds and driving rain but the underside of the van is really clean.

Archived