motorhome parking

uptonogood

motorhome parking  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Keithl - 2012-05-03 6:03 AM

2 Bays = 2 Tickets!

Simples!

I'm not sure it is "Simples".

There can be no doubt that, as long as whoever controls the car-park is comfortable with the idea that one vehicle can occupy multiple defined parking 'bays' provided that all the bays used have been paid for, you'd need to buy two tickets to use two bays.

However, if a car-park has a sign demanding that a vehicle must park within the defined boundaries of a bay (as many car-parks do), if a vehicle overlaps a bay in any direction then it will plainly breach that rule. In such a scenario, I'd argue that a motorhome occupying two bays becomes eligible for two penalties - one penalty for the back of the vehicle not being within the defined boundaries of the front bay and a second penalty for the front of the vehicle not being within the defined boundaries of the rear bay.

Just for fun...

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2050340_woman_refuses_to_pay_fine_for_parking_in_two_bays

Did she get off with it or is she still languishing in jail?

A friend's husband got booked for one of his tyres actually just touching the sideline.

He was sent a letter with £50 fine.

He gave the money to his wife to pay it at the council office.

When she got there she was told it was reduced to £30 because of her prompt payment.

When she told me, I said "Don't tell your husband". (lol)

If that photo is of the actual "infringemnet",then when she says:

Quote:

"I concede that the side wheel may have been across the lines of the next bay but only slightly.."

Then she is,at best,mistaken.. :-S

..and what's all this:

Quote:

".. I’m a middle class, British, white mum..." cr*p?..

So because of those characteristics,laws/rules shouldn't apply to her then...?!. *-)

If she's "too busy" to park properly in a near empty carpark,it makes you wonder what else she's "too busy" to do when she driving the thing?...Indicate?...check mirror?..

(...What's the betting she had her phone to her ear when she got out of the car?.." yes,I'm there now..I'll be around in a bit.." etc... ;-) )

uptonogood - 2012-05-02 10:21 PM

Anyone know the rules on parking in car parks and taking up two bays ,sorry but if your going to have one have a big one ........

Not sure if this is your first motorhome uptonogood but in addition to the parking in two bays issue there are others:

Do not be tempted to park in coach only bays.

The car park may have a weight limit which is often in unladen weight e.g. 1.5t unladen.

Local Authorities make their own Parking Orders on car parks and conditions (as well as cost) can vary widely.

We don't have too big a van (6.36m) but if the bays are particularly small in length we try to reverse into one where the rear can overhang the verge.

If in doubt study the parking instructions which are usually always displayed in council car parks and/or a parking attendant if they are around.

David

Guest 1footinthegrave

There is no simple answer, and that's the problem in the UK. I once had a "penalty" notice for parking my van in the HGV bay on a motorway service area, apparently I had not parked in a designated area, problem was there was no Motorhome designated area, only caravans, cars, coaches, and HGVs had there own area's, and of course there was no one I could ask. I now make a point of NEVER parking anywhere if the parking is controlled in any shape or form, which is becoming more and more difficult to find. Our local car park has the usual intimidating notices about being outside the marked out bays which are around 4.8 metres long, as are so many others in the UK and if they are not end to end the way as they are marked out on a road, what chance have you got to occupy two in any event.

I might be paranoid, BUT I do believe the barstewards are out to get us. >:-(

Guest 1footinthegrave
colin - 2012-05-03 9:23 PM

There are no national rules on motorhome parking, best bet is to look a grahams site, which at moment I can't find, this lists most local authorities rules.

p.s. found it, had it filed under travel not motorhomes.

http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/

As Colin states there is lot of information on that site, how you react to it obviously depends on the individual, perhaps I'm a pessimist by nature, that's why I felt like blowing my brains out after reading through it all when I first came across it some time ago, wade through it all as I have done and I think it's hard not to come to the conclusion what a M/home unfriendly country this is, no wonder there is an almost permanent queue of us Brits crossing at Dover.

Just take this one snippet at random, there are loads more though..........................................

On 29th September 2008, in response to a follow up request, the Council provided the following information:

None of the car parks in the Borough of Gravesham are able to be used by motor homes unless they can fit into a bay designed for standard car lengths. We also do not allow overnight camping / eating in any of the car parks either. :-(

uptonogood - 2012-05-02 10:21 PM

Anyone know the rules on parking in car parks and taking up two bays ,sorry but if your going to have one have a big one ........

It depends entirely on the local regulations in force.

As others have said, sometimes you are only permitted to park within the confines of a single bay, sometimes you may occupy and pay for 2 bays if required, sometimes there are no rules about it at all.

Check the car park signs carefully to see what is allowed. Personally I think that if the signs don't say anything about parking within a single bay you would probably be wise to pay for 2 if you are too long to fit in a single one.

Andy

nuevoboy - 2012-05-03 3:02 PM

Did she get off with it or is she still languishing in jail?

A friend's husband got booked for one of his tyres actually just touching the sideline.

He was sent a letter with £50 fine.

He gave the money to his wife to pay it at the council office.

When she got there she was told it was reduced to £30 because of her prompt payment.

When she told me, I said "Don't tell your husband". (lol)

In Preston city centre there is Winckley Square with metered parking bays around 3 sides of it.

An article on our local news Granada Reports said that new rules for parking meant that if a

vehicles wheels are touching or outside the marked box it would be a automatic penalty, plus

if the nearside wheels are more than 30 cms from the kerb edge this would also mean a penalty.

1footinthegrave - 2012-05-03 9:40 PMI might be paranoid, BUT I do believe the barstewards are out to get us. >:-(

That's not being paranoid, merely reflecting the 'couldn't give a dam' attitude of so many councils. Still there is hope, Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk has a dedicated motorhome parking area for five vehicles at it's Ram Meadow car park and what is more you get four hours for less per hour that the other car parks, 'tis true that it's a bit of a walk to town but even at my geriatic age I did it to town and back three times recently so it's not all that far.

One car park I went into in Germany was 5€ /day for Motorhomes, 7€ /day for cars, now that's what I call sensible oh! and of course you could stay overnight for 2€.

Like Mike (1footinthegrave) I really can't be bothered to take the Motorhome out in this country rather spend my hard earned cash where it's appreciated.

Archived