Energy pod trailer

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Thought I'd start seperate thread re converting my new trailer into an additional source of power for the camper ;-)

The plan so far is two 80watt solar panels on the roof, connected too a couple of 110 batteries in the trailer.

Initially I thought to get the power to the camper I'd wire up both the trailer with caravan sockets?.............But........I've had another brain wave :D

Why not hard wire a inverter [what size?] to the batteries.........short bit EHC........staight into the back of the camper EHU socket.........and BINGO it will feed my zig unit and make my 240 sockets live?:D :D ...................

Or will it? :-S

Guest JudgeMental
So Pelmet, your not going to treat yourself to a more recent van for your retirement?

Do you really need all that extra power?

We've got two solar panels, totalling 125 watts, on the van roof, and 2x 125Ah leisure batteries. The panels charge both leisure batteries and vehicle battery.

We're often static, wild-camping, for 4 days or more at a time and this hardly puts any dent at all in the amount of juice in the leisure batteries.

(I have, to save 12 volt usage, changed all internal lights to LED's, and also our 12 volt TV/DVD player is a little desk top one (looks a bit like a netbook computer).

Maybe just stick more solar panel surface area on your roof, and get another, or bigger, leisure batteries? That way you'll max your 12 volt power with or without trailer in tow.

Guest pelmetman

No point in changiing the camper Eddie.........Its cheap to run.......comfortable and uncomplicated........Especially as we will only have about 12k to live on.........I cant afford £300 for a new wing mirror ;-)

Our existing battery capacity has been fine for the last twenty years Bruce......lasting up to 4days without EHU...........but as we intend to longterm on sites, I reckon if we dont need eletric we'll get a cheaper deal ;-) .............Plus a trailer is essential for all the extra clobber we'll need to long term,and as we dont have the payload to put anything more on the camper, putting the solar and extra batteries on and in the trailer makes sense to me :D

It's an interesting idea and would work in principle but there are inefficiencies involved. If your EHU powers a battery charger then you would be using trailer batteries, via inverter, to charge 'van batteries and there would be losses.

You'd probably, with the setup described, quickly end up with a lot of partially discharged batteries - not good.

One trailer battery would ironically probably be better, or an increase in the solar array on the trailer, or some additional form of generator like a wind turbine on the trailer. That way the trailer battery would stand a good chance of retaining a high enough state of charge to actually contribute.

More efficient all round to figure a way to plug the solar array from your trailer directly to the habitation batteries on your 'van and then just plug it in when you park up.

Dave..off the main jist of the thread but is it *totally* out of the qustion to throw a some money at the van itself,suspension wise...and get it uprated?( ..and then stick the panels on the roof,with maybe a roof or back box for "clobber"..? )

...or is that just not financially feasible....?

Sorry..ignore me...Just realised you've already got a trailer... :$

Guest JudgeMental

The trailer makes sense, for all your long term gear..but asa pod energy unit does not IMO. simply because you might not always want to hall trailer around....

I would fit panels and battery's to van, (camper much less likely to be stolen then a trailer) less cable, means better efficiency. and just transfer all your stuff to trailer and simply use it as a load carrier....

Guest pelmetman

The problem we have is no payload left.....zilch.......sweet fa........nuffink at all..........although we have spent the last 20 years blissfully unaware just how overweight we have been 8-)............

I've since joining the forum fitted airbags bought lightweight chairs etc etc........but with a full tank of water we are still overweight :$

So adding anything to Horace is sadly a non starter...........even sent an email to SV Tech but they never even replied......I guess they're still laughing:-(

Although as Crinkly said maybe two additinal batteries is overkill..........as our power usage is low lights, TV, satellite box if I ever work out how to use it!!!....charging gadgets phone laptop etc.

All our cooking, hot water, heating will be via gas ;-)

Hi Dave

You may be better off only having 1 battery & putting a spare Gas Bottlr in the Trailer

Clive Mott-Gotobed's presentation at the Peterborough Show

"63 X 110 Ampere Hour batteries hold the same energy as a single 6kg Propane bottle."

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Features/Editorial/National-Motorhome-Show-2012-seminars/_ch1_ft780_pg1

& scroll down to Clive's presentation, then click on Presentation Slides.

Guest JudgeMental

Have been in Benidorm over a month and electricity on meter has cost a whacking £1.30 a day!....fink about it :-S

like Flicka says gas very cheap down here.....

• 5 weeks later...
Guest pelmetman
My new baby has arrived :D..........been to the weigh bridge...........500 kg of extra payload B-)........and plaited at 730 kg :D

P1000265web.jpg.447a6428fe0a5c430001d552bb12671b.jpg

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2012-05-08 11:13 PM

Have been in Benidorm over a month and electricity on meter has cost a whacking £1.30 a day!....fink about it :-S

like Flicka says gas very cheap down here.....

You are of course both right............we have a gas bottle stashed at my old mans place in Spain......but my approach is to have a set up that will be very flexible...... ;-)..............some sites offer extended stays very cheap + electric.........so I reckon it'll pay back quite quickly when we start long terming ;-)....

Plus we intend to leave the trailer in France at Sue's cousins as it costs an arm and a leg on the tunnel 8-)......so Horace will revert back to being a solo camper in the UK, and we'll also revert to motorhome mode ie move every few days use EHU at friends and family.................which is why I want to set the trailer up as a independent power source :D

The Energy Pod will work, but will it be cost effective, do the sums, Dave

An array of Solar Panels + number of. Batteries + fitting costs, on/ in the trailer.

Bet you could fund hell of a lot of nights on EHU for less cost.

Guest pelmetman
flicka - 2012-06-08 8:53 PM

An array of Solar Panels + number of. Batteries + fitting costs, on/ in the trailer.

Your right John the numbers don't add up at the moment ;-)..........but being an ex boy scout dib dib be prepared and all that :D........................besides HWMBO is up a mountain burying his treasure as we type 8-)

Guest pelmetman

Been playing with the new trailer today........should've been working :D

Now fitted out to cart all our extra kit.......we have enough awnings and gazebos to become a small village on site (lol)..........had a bit of a brain wave whilst making the top section to carry the plastic boxes, thought it would make a good size table for entertaining ;-).....built the space for the batteries....I thought 2 x 100 amp Elecsol would be the better option as then they'd be interchangeable with the campers ;-).........next trip via the weigh bridge :D

P1000266web.jpg.e8ba155618f8d41e096642d8d8bdcd3d.jpg

P1000267web.jpg.715c7bb7d8553b155f30659e9e748a8c.jpg

P1000268web.jpg.c8cb56423169b0f429742f0598c6f23b.jpg

P1000269web.jpg.06bf53d44507d5d87c618c9b44815424.jpg

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-06-12 6:16 PM

BGD - 2012-05-07 12:53 PM

Do you really need all that extra power?.

Yep Bruce, He needs it to power his ready reckoner up. Tight b******d's always on it. :D :D

Dave

I'll have you know my abacus needs no power ;-)....................But as an aside?.........a how long is a piece of string question...........our camper will last 4 days before the red light starts to show............so if we had three fully charged batteries can I assume we'd last 12 days?............or is the science of 12 volt wigglies not that simple :-S

Guest pelmetman

As Eddie (Judge) said the leccy on his site was £1.30 a day.........so assuming my setup will cost possibly 2k 8-)..............the maths will work only when we start long terming..........and then only after 3 years......but being Independent for power appeals to me ;-)..........

Where is all the power going? What all are you carrying? We spent 18 months touring Europe and we were nowhere near our 185kg payload limit, three up plus the dog.

Most sites we stayed on averaged €200 a month including electric. Stayed on one site for two weeks with no EHU, never moved the van and the single 95ahr battery was just getting low on the last day.

We dont have any solar panels, no LED's, no generator. So why do you need all that power, and all that gear?

Guest pelmetman
Oor Wullie - 2012-06-12 7:27 PM

Where is all the power going? What all are you carrying? We spent 18 months touring Europe and we were nowhere near our 185kg payload limit, three up plus the dog.

Most sites we stayed on averaged €200 a month including electric. Stayed on one site for two weeks with no EHU, never moved the van and the single 95ahr battery was just getting low on the last day.

We dont have any solar panels, no LED's, no generator. So why do you need all that power, and all that gear?

200 euro a month well that's encouraging :-D...........As for what we're carrying around?...........just the usual small mobile village.....ie bike, BBQ, sun lounge, gazebo, library, dining room........study etc....nothing OTT (lol) (lol) (lol)........

The energy pod part is a work in progress.........the more I read the more confused I get :-S....

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2012-06-12 10:02 PM

Dave,

I'm disappointed, I thought you'd at least have had a pelmet over the door by now :'(

Keith.

Give us a chance *-)....I hope to have room eventually for one in my backdoor ;-)

pelmetman - 2012-06-12 7:14 PM

As Eddie (Judge) said the leccy on his site was £1.30 a day.........so assuming my setup will cost possibly 2k 8-)..............the maths will work only when we start long terming..........and then only after 3 years......but being Independent for power appeals to me ;-)..........

Dave

But then you will to start budgeting for a replacement pair of Batteries (or 3 with Horace's leisure battery :-S

Nothing ever straight forward, isit ;-)

You need to sit down (partake of the imported wine stock or have a beer) & work out your current 12v consumption.

You may make the figures work with a single extra battery.

Guest pelmetman
flicka - 2012-06-12 10:54 PM

pelmetman - 2012-06-12 7:14 PM

Dave

But then you will to start budgeting for a replacement pair of Batteries (or 3 with Horace's leisure battery :-S

Nothing ever straight forward, isit ;-)

You need to sit down (partake of the imported wine stock or have a beer) & work out your current 12v consumption.

You may make the figures work with a single extra battery.

Your right John ;-).........We need to spend a while long terming to decide whether we need to cough up a small fortune, on buying all the gear required to become independent for wigglies :D.............

Archived