2003 Boxer Suspension Mounting corrosion

AlanK

My 2003 Autosleeper Nuevo ES just failed its MOT because of excessive corrosion of the offside front suspension spring mounting. It has had two patches welded on by Marquis, and has now passed, but the nearside will also need doing. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Nor me. Had a 2002 Ducato in today which failed its MOT on leaking front dampers so I had to replace them both and no signs of corrosion on the strut turrets. Would be a right mare of a job to weld them as they're inside the cab under the dash and surrounded by wiring.

D.

I can't take any pics as it is not possible to 'see' up past the spring, but it IS the front offside mounting which was corroded. However I am satisifed that this is not a common problem with the Boxer - just 'take it on the chin', and get the nearside done later in the year.

Hello,

I am with Dave on this.... The tester would not be able to see anything up there, and is not permitted to move anything in order to do so. Very suspicious.

The worst thing that happens up there is that the small bearings under the top mount become corroded, even on the highest milage, highly abused vehicles.

Mmmm.

Nick

This story all sounds very odd, a MOT tester fails a vehicle for corrosion that can't be seen and a motorhome workshop (which generally doesn't include structural welding facilities, although this is not impossible, just rare) carry out weld repairs and the other side needs doing too but it isn't possible to "see" the corrosion?

I've just bought a 57 plate Ducato and had it on the lift this afternoon for a service and brake fluid change. I cannot "see" up inside the turrets without removing th roadwheels and even then vision is limited due to the strut and spring assembly being in the way along with a goodly collection of road detritus. I'm proper intrigued as to how the MOT tester could "see" serious corrosion in this area.

D.

Alan,

Where was the MOT test carried out?

At the MH dealer who then did the welding by any chance?

Can you possibly take the MH to another MOT testing station and ask their opinion on the corrosion of the other side before you have it welded?

Keith.

The work was done at Marquis Northampton which is where I bought it last year. Am off to Cornwall for 10 days now, so cannot take matters any further until I get back. However I have said that I will book it in again for the nearside to be done, and will ask to see the problem for myself when I do so. My experience with Marquis has been good so far, and do not doubt the honesty of the workshop.

Archived