Motorhome M.P.G. ( actual )

Wooie

Hi folks, just got back from a 3 week tour of Scotland including a week on Orkney.

Here are the figures,

1,870 miles.........285.39 Litres = 62.78 Gallons...........29.78 M.P.G.

Now i don`t think that is too bad for a van weighing 3,850 kgs ( and it was fully loaded )

and as anyone who knows Scotland there are no motorways north of Glasgow and

Perth and then north of Inverness is where real Scotland starts.

We went up the A9 then had to come back down via Altnaharra to Lairg to get out of

the weather for a couple of days. The weather soon changed and we went back up

and across to Orkney, did a full tour of the island then a very lazy trip across to Durness where

diesel was a dizzing £1.62.9 a litre. Then down the west coast nice and slowly taking in all our favourite places.

We always make good progress and do not hold people up so how some people only get 20 or so M.P.G. has to be down to the way they drive. This was proved by the 2 lunatics who overtook us on the road down to Loch Eribol ( how they made it round the corner beats me )

One last thing the dreaded " Midges " are early and out with a vengence, on the way back at Luss on Loch Lomond the wardens arms, legs and back made me cringe........ the poor guy had nearly been eaten alive !!

Thank goodness for Avon skin so soft me and the wife came out ok.

Guest Tracker
Those figures would have some meaning if we knew what van, base vehicle and engine size you have!

Tracker - 2012-05-31 9:01 PM

Those figures would have some meaning if we knew what van, base vehicle and engine size you have!

2006 model......26,138 miles

Compass Castaway 500 LL

Peugeot Boxer 2.8HDi

Adjustable Turbo Tune DT tuning module

Extralube ZX1 in both the engine and gearbox

Anything else ?

No idea what mpg our MH does, other than it is rubbish, 'cos it's ancient, and overloaded, and has the aerodynamics of a brick.

But it only cost about a quarter of the price of a modern, gleaming white gin-palace, so I reckon I've got about £40,000 worth of extra dosh to spend on fuel/site-fees/tolls/wine etc.

When it's nearly empty I just fill it up again, and continue chugging. Slowly...... :-D

From filling up at Arques to the last fill at St Martin Bolougne round trip to St Tropez using non Paege roads a total of 1630 miles av mpg 28.92 a couple of days we had heavy rain and head winds for most of the journey which really hurt the fuel consumption. Average price p/ltr £1.109 most expensive £1.137 and the least £1.080 at an exchange rate on av of 1.243e = £1 from Nationwide on my credit card . 2010 Peugeot 2.2 130hp 6 speed now showing 12845 miles on clock.

ips - 2012-06-01 4:33 PM

Out of interest what kind of speed in general we talking

I set the cruise to 55/56 M.P.H. on the motorway and i`m limited to 50 M.P.H. on the A roads

because it`s over 3500kgs.

On the single track roads of which we did an awful lot whilst in Scotland i just use common

sense but it tends to be somewhere between 30-40 M.P.H.

Not like the 2 lunatics i mentioned in my original post. The section in question has a

national speed limit although it is single track and they are obiviously ones that have to do it.

Wooie - 2012-06-01 4:45 PM

...and i`m limited to 50 M.P.H. on the A roads

because it`s over 3500kgs. .

Graham,

NO YOU ARE NOT!

This is a common myth that the lower speed is for vehicles with a GVW over 3,500 kg.

In fact it is for vehicles with an UNLADEN weight over 3,050 kg. (Yes 3,050 kg not a typo of 3,500 kg).

Here is a link to the Motorhome Info website giving the speed linits in a table.

Keith.

Hi Wooie

I check my mileage after long distances, ie. after a total holiday, and tend to spend 3 months a year on the continent. One long and one short trip. Last year, we had 9 weeks in Croatia - over the alps and the Croatian coast road is not exactly flat. We very rarely use motorways in any country except Germany and certainly not toll roads. This year, for our first short break, we went to Brittany (and, oh did it rain!). She who must be obeyed has got strict instructions to start prompting me if I go over 55 mph. I have a Fiat van 1.9 which is not exactly economical, smaller engines loaded to capacity don't make for good mileage consumption. The Croatia trip was just 29 mpg, Brittany trip 30 mpg, both of which I was quite pleased with.

Just as a side issue, 2 or 3 years ago, going over the alps. my engine started to overheat, which I found quite worrying. On returning home, I had a switch fitted so that I could turn the auxiliary radiator fans on early so that if I came to the bottom of what I knew was going to be a steep climb I could switch the fans on early to make sure the radiator was as cool as possible at the bottom of the climb. Whilst fitting this switch, my engineer noticed that there was a serious deterioration of the fins on the radiator so changed the radiator. I now find out that this is not an uncommon fault on the 1.9 Fiat. So anyone having trouble with overheating on a 1.9 Fiat should look towards their radiator, as mine was not leaking and seemed in good condition.

Sorry for being so long-winded.

Alan

I seem to get between 20 and 23 out of ours no matter how I drive it. I remember when I was looking seeing adverts on Ebay saying Swift Kontiki 30MPG at 70 mph all day long!. Ha flipping Ha! No chance.

Cant say im bothered though and my right foot always seems to get the needle creeping up to 70 on long drags.

Keithl - 2012-06-01 5:25 PM

Wooie - 2012-06-01 4:45 PM

...and i`m limited to 50 M.P.H. on the A roads

because it`s over 3500kgs. .

Graham,

NO YOU ARE NOT!

This is a common myth that the lower speed is for vehicles with a GVW over 3,500 kg.

In fact it is for vehicles with an UNLADEN weight over 3,050 kg. (Yes 3,050 kg not a typo of 3,500 kg).

Here is a link to the Motorhome Info website giving the speed linits in a table.

Keith.

Hi Keith,

thanks for the ticking off ( i`ll do the detention later ).......lol

It was me with the typo, i only saw it after i had posted and i hoped no-one would notice.

More chance of winning the lottery that that on here.

The Castaway has a MIRO of 3,347 Kgs this is clearly stated on the Certificate of Conformity along with

the MTPLM of 3,850 Kgs. I have this document having bought this new.

You could argue that the MIRO is not actually the unladen weight but even when you take off the allowance for the driver, fuel and gas that does still not come to 297 Kgs which you would need to get it down below the 3,050 threshold.

So by my reckoning i think i am limited to 50 M.P.H. on single carriageways.

Graham.

Hi with my 2003 2.8 hdi Peugeot A class 50mph equates to about 1750rpm in 5th gear.any slight incline or drop in speed and I have to drop down a gear. 60mph is about 2000rpm which the engine seems happier at, and with stories about 5th gear wear at low revs how do you cope with your 50 -55 speeds

regards David

davidmac - 2012-06-01 7:37 PM

Hi with my 2003 2.8 hdi Peugeot A class 50mph equates to about 1750rpm in 5th gear.any slight incline or drop in speed and I have to drop down a gear. 60mph is about 2000rpm which the engine seems happier at, and with stories about 5th gear wear at low revs how do you cope with your 50 -55 speeds

regards David

Hi Dave,

in my second post ( 3rd from the top ) you`ll notice i have fitted a Turbo Tune DT tuning module.

A diy fit in about 30 minutes.

I also put Extralube ZX1 in both the engine and gearbox which now changes as smooth as it should.

Couple this to the Cruise Control i had fitted at the Lincoln Show 3 years back and drive it really is a doddle.

I couldn`t believe the difference, It`s better on fuel and the extra torque is really unbelievable. You can adjust both the Torque and B.H.P. to a level that suits you best.

I have found that the medium setting for both suits me best, i tried both on high and spun the front wheels........lol

We normally get on the motorway at J29 on the M6 heading north and once it gets in 5th gear i only change when we are pulling into Southwaite Services near Carlisle for breakfast. On the way up we have the 2 hills south and north of Lancaster and the big one at Shap.

It sails up these hills with no drop in speed and all you notice is a change in the engine note as the torque kicks in.

Hope this helps

Regards.

Graham.

The Castaway has a MIRO of 3,347 Kgs this is clearly stated on the Certificate of Conformity along with

You could argue that the MIRO is not actually the unladen weight but even when you take off the allowance for the driver, fuel and gas that does still not come to 297 Kgs which you would need to get it down below the 3,050 threshold.

Graham.

Might pay to check the manufacturers definitions of MIRO in depth. I only suggest this as our Rapido interpritation also incudes for a full tank of water.

There you are, another 100 kgs saved

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2012-06-01 8:17 PM

Graham.

Might pay to check the manufacturers definitions of MIRO in depth. I only suggest this as our Rapido interpritation also incudes for a full tank of water.

There you are, another 100 kgs saved

Rgds

Hi Tony,

Just had a look at the specification sheets and the official " unladen " weight is 3,292 Kgs

So which ever figure i use and every one seems to have a different idea.

Think i`ll stick with the Certificate of Conformity at 3,347 Kgs.

P.S. still waiting for the difference between MIRO and unladen if there is one ?

Regards

Graham

Hi,

I am realy confused as looking at the direct.gov website the table shows

National speed limits for different vehicles and types of road and no mention of unladen weight all speeds are rated at maximum laden weight

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Roadsafetyadvice/DG_178867?CID=TAT&PLA=url_mon&CRE=speed_limits

Comments please

Ray

Wooie - 2012-06-01 8:37 PM

P.S. still waiting for the difference between MIRO and unladen if there is one ?

Regards

Graham

Hi Graham, welcome to the mad house!!! :-D

Unladen weight: as it comes out of the 'factory' with no gubbings or caboodle on board, no fuel, water etc and nobody.

As far as I know the MIRO (mass in running order) is generally the unladen weight of the vehicle with the addition of fuel (around 90%), a gas bottle, and fresh water on board, plus the driver (they usually allow 75kg for him/her) - what it means exactly depends on the manufacturer as some include or exclude different things ...

... and of course you've got to include the weight of any extra's that you've added such as awning, aerial, solar panel, bike rack etc ...

Nothing's simple is it! *-)

Forgot to mention our MPG. :$

On our recent 5 week trip to France we travelled around 4,500 miles (door to door) and surprisingly got an average of 29 mpg, with one 'leg' showing as 32 mpg!!! This is very good seeing as we did a lot of mountain/valley/gorge driving, with some very bendy roads with lots of gear changing, and some motorway driving.

:-D

Our van now has over 15,500 miles on the clock and is only just over 2 years old ... we're not going to have to worry about our tyres being out of date and having to change them for that reason ... at this rate we'll be changing them before the end of the summer!!! 8-)

Guest pelmetman

Frankly I never cared about such things as mpg 8-)..................until my conversion to thrift :D...........but in the scheme of things I sussed out a while ago it costs the same in fuel to get to Gibraltar for a month or a year ;-)...............................

So the secret is don't worry about the mpg of your vehicle........the lpg ( life per gallon) is much more important and valuable B-)......................and the government cant have what you have spent on yourselves :D

Just back from Southern France, 2.2 Ford 130PS Hymer 522 weight of 3388 kilos inc. driver but not Mrs H.

Using Shell and driving at the appropriate speed limits ( lots of motorway miles but no peage ones).I got 30.7 mpg full tank to full tank. On cheapo supermarket fuel it dropped to 29.8. I must work out if the extra cost is worth it! Without doubt it seemed smoother and more responsive on the Shell stuff.

H

8-) I have possiably found a replacement camping car *-) with space *-) Im told it does 16MPG 8-) Im considering it *-)

Its been pouring with rain all day in Zurich :-( 8-) Forcast poor *-) may well spoil shopping,an umbrella is boreing in summer B-)

And yes i did have a glass of Swiss wine B-) Stromger than it looks 8-)

Archived