what car can i tow

motorcampman

I have licence to drive up to 3.5 ton and I have a vehicle rated at this weight Ido not want to upgade my licence .I want to tow a car instead of my motorcycle and trailer I thnk I am alowed to tow a trailer of not more than 725kg but Im not sure.I think a smart for two is around 750kg Anyone have an idea what car can be towed in my situation,or do I have to struggle on with a bike which is heavy to put on a traier and of course to take off. I shold mention I am 72 hence the struggle with the bike (?)

Hi - welcome to the mad house! :-D

You need to have a look at your plate to see exactly what you can tow with your vehicle - it will have the front and rear axle weight limits shown individually, your overall maximum weight (also called MAM or MTPLM) (should be 3500kg), and your maximum towing weight. If you can give us these figures we can help you more specifically.

I had a 'normal' bike trailer and struggled to load and unload my Honda Deauville alone. I bought a Ro Ro bike trailer, which lowers to form a ramp and I ride the motorbike straight on.

In this You Tube clip, the young guy pushes the bike onto the trailer, but I bought the optional foot plates which are fixed either side of the ramp. This means I can safely ride the bike on and also makes it easier to 'walk' the bike off.

If you want to keep towing the motorbike, I can recommend this trailer.

http://tinyurl.com/d5cds6y

Hi, I get confused by this licence stuff, so I decided to follow the link above. My licence shows that I am entitled to drive vehicles covered by A, B, BE, B1, t k l n p., but the link didn`t help.

Is BE the same as B+E, and what`s B1?

I suspect that my instinct is correct and that I am restricted to 3.5 tons with a trailer up to 750 kilos,but I suppose it would be nice to actually know.

AGD

Hi AGD,

I'll answer the couple of questions you asked as I understand the situation...

"Is BE the same as B+E?" Answer - Yes

"what`s B1?" Answer - Motor tricycles, quadricycles and three or four wheeled vehicles with an unladen weight no more than 550 kg (from Direct.Gov).

"I suspect that my instinct is correct and that I am restricted to 3.5 tons with a trailer up to 750 kilos" Answer - INCORRECT.

Yes, you are restricted to vehicles under 3.5 tonnes as you only hold Category B (and not C1) but with Category B+E your trailer weight is only limited by your towing vehicles plated weights.

Here is a quote from Direct.Gov...

"Example of category B+E: Motor vehicle with a MAM up to 3,500 kg towing a trailer of any weight over 750 kg."

Hope this helps,

Keith.

Hi guys I thank you for your input and I now know Kieths interpretation of the Direct gov.com,statement is correct.I also took a look at RO RO trailers but no decision as yet as to which way to go,I suspect my wife will have her preferance, so probably goodbye bike. :-(

Archived