Amp tester

Caddies104

Hi all

Does anyone know if they make anything for testing the incoming amperage into the Van. Just that when you get to a site it's good to know whether it's 4/6/10/13 coming in. Don't know if one exists or not, but good if it does... Perhaps to plug into there box or inline, or into the sockets on board..

Hope this makes sense

Guest Tracker

As far as I know you can't measure current unless it is flowing because unless it is flowing there isn't any and I would be surprised if any device could measure potential mains current!

Each to his own methods and without criticising those who do, having managed for over 40 years without EVER using a site mains hook up I am at a loss to understand this paranoia with mains electricity?

Tracker

Where does one start, we are sitting on a beautiful site in Annecy, which obviously has Wi-Fi, we use electric bikes as we don't like using the van to go into the centre and it keeps us fit, hence bikes need charging, when we come back may need a shower or use the pool.

So I suppose the answer is we deserve our Luxury after working all our lives and if you don,t use mains I guess you are on Solar or gas on Aires.

No contest!

Guest Tracker
Caddies104 - 2012-06-13 1:15 PM

Tracker

Where does one start, we are sitting on a beautiful site in Annecy, which obviously has Wi-Fi, we use electric bikes as we don't like using the van to go into the centre and it keeps us fit, hence bikes need charging, when we come back may need a shower or use the pool.

So I suppose the answer is we deserve our Luxury after working all our lives and if you don,t use mains I guess you are on Solar or gas on Aires.

No contest!

I don't begrudge you your 'luxury' and we all have a different idea of what luxury is but there is nothing that you do with mains that we can't do with 12v, inverter, solar and gas!!

So why would I need or want to faff about unwinding and winding and plugging and unplugging cables and adapters plus dealing with unpredictable rcd trip switches and dodgy continental wiring when all I have to do is stop the van, pull the handbrake on and use it - after a cup of tea (gas heated water of course)!!

Each to his own of course - but I still can't understand why so many people make a simple exercise so complicated?

This is not meant as a criticism of yourself or anyone else who uses ehu!!

AliB - 2012-06-14 9:58 AM

Caddies104, The circuit breaker at the hookup point at a campsite may have a rating on it (5, 10 or 16 Amps)

Current can only be measured as it is drawn from the supply.

Or, you could just ask reception. They'll know, because they'll be brassed off with folk trying to draw too much and tripping the supply! :-) If in doubt, assume 6A, but I'm sure they'll tell you.

I am sure I saw a feature in MMM a couple of years ago for a device which you fitted in the incoming supply wiring and it had a digital display, much like the item in Brambles link, but then had an option to switch a warning buzzer or something like to various current settings.

When you hooked up you set the switch to the rating of the supply, eg 3A, 5A, etc, and then if you started to draw near that load it buzzed.

BUT, I am d*mned if I can find any reference to anything like it!

Does anyone else remember it?

Keith.

Just realised I have the equipment to measure current flowing into van.

Have adaptors so that hook-up can be plugged into standard 3 pin socket, and also adaptor so standard 3 pin socket can plug into hookup lead, also have a plug in meter that measures voltage, current, power and kwh, couple then all up together and hey pressto.

similier meter to this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Power-Meter-Energy-Monitor-Esocket-Plug-in-KWH-Watt-Electricity-Meter-UK-/220940130975?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item33710eda9f

Guest Tracker
A very handy device for telling you, should you wish or need to know, how much energy you are actually using Colin - but as, like all measuring devices, it can only measure actual current flowing and not the current limit at which the trip will trip it does not answer the original question - save to confirm that you cannot measure that which does not exist!

Keithl - 2012-06-16 9:13 AM

I am sure I saw a feature in MMM a couple of years ago for a device which you fitted in the incoming supply wiring and it had a digital display, much like the item in Brambles link, but then had an option to switch a warning buzzer or something like to various current settings.

When you hooked up you set the switch to the rating of the supply, eg 3A, 5A, etc, and then if you started to draw near that load it buzzed.

BUT, I am d*mned if I can find any reference to anything like it!

Does anyone else remember it?

Keith.

.....If you're thinking of the same thing as me, they've been around for some time - and I've seen a very recent reference to one somewhere, but like you, I don't know where.

AFAIR, it is essentially like a user-set MCB, inserted into the input side of the electrics, with the ability to set a variable "trigger" current. The idea being to set it at (or just below) the rating of the site supply, such that it is your own breaker that trips on over-demand (and is easily resettable), rather than the site's (which may be inaccessible for resetting purposes).

Tracker - 2012-06-16 2:24 PM

A very handy device for telling you, should you wish or need to know, how much energy you are actually using Colin - but as, like all measuring devices, it can only measure actual current flowing and not the current limit at which the trip will trip it does not answer the original question - save to confirm that you cannot measure that which does not exist!

Quite true, but original question was answered in post 5, I'm now replying to post 7, where actual current is being drawn, do keep up Richard :D

Tracker - 2012-06-16 5:56 PM

Sorry Colin !

I should think so too, any more trouble and it's the naughty step for you :D

To OP, you say "very little on", what would that be? I would think it's very easy to go over 6amp, just an electric water heater will be close on max.

Caddies104 - 2012-06-16 9:48 PM

Colin.. IT WAS the electric water heater, good guess, now give me 6 numbers between 1 and 49!!

Thanks for all the replies, wasn't such a stupid question after all!!

.....so which setting did you have the water heater on?

Assuming it's the combi fitted to the latest Apache, the higher setting is well in excess of 6 amps. :-S

(The lower setting is, in round terms, 4 amps, so it wouldn't take much additional consumption (fridge, charger, etc.) to be very marginal.

Archived