First motorhome

tonyclaire

Hi all. Going to look at a used van today. Although it is what we are looking for (autoquest 145) we are a bit concerned as the owner has used it as a rental vehicle. Will this be a problem when we come to sell it? Also the add says it is petrol, we think this could be a mistake as have not seen any petrol autoquests during our search. Any advice please?

Hi Tony,

If you could tell us what year and base vehicle the Autoquest is on then you may get a few more replies.

Also remember that petrol engined vehicles are exempt from the Londen Emissions Zone (LEZ) so an advantage if you want to travel within the M25.

Do you know the reg number, if so enter it into the Tfl LEZ vehicle checker and it may tell you more...Link. For example if it is a petrol it will say exempt.

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental

I can only see a 1989, 2.0L Petrol model..is this it?

Rental vans suffer a hell of a lot of wear to the camping side. Mechanical side not such a concern as the base vehicle is designed for high mileages, well.. diesel ones are (as long as serviced)

But you think about it.. these hire vans are out all the time and probably in 6 months get many years worth of normal use and wear and tear. The effect of this constant use depends on the quality of the van in the first place

In Germany they hire them out for six months then sell on, and start over again

There was no petrol option on the Peugeot range at that date, so it'll be diesel 2.2.

Such a slip (though it may of course be genuine) would make me at least slightly suspicious about the seller and 'van.

As has already been noted, hire 'vans can take some hard use, and if it's a private sale, you have little comeback after purchase.

I have also, in the past, been asked to certify that my PX 'vans haven't been used for hire. (It wasn't a condition on the last one I did, however).

There's no reason not to go and see it, if it's what you're looking for and the price is right, but don't let things run away with you, there are other, similar 'vans up for sale around the country.

tonyclaire - 2012-06-17 12:06 PM

Hi Keith. The base vehicle is described as a Peugot 2.2 petrol on a 2009/59 plate.We would use it abroad where petrol is more expensive than diesal and fear it would be too thirsty.

IFAIW no petrol engines have ever ben fitted in a x250.

p.s. cross over with robin

Guest JudgeMental
If plated 2009 it could well be manufactured in 2008.. so could have "juddergate" issues. The dealer will deny this of course....Check paperwork carefully, and call Fiat with VIN to see if fix's have been carried out

For info for others, this is what Brian said on the other thread with the same title/question:

Brian Kirby - 2012-06-17 1:00 PM

tonyclaire - 2012-06-17 9:07 AM

Hi all. Need more advice please. Going to view a used van today. It is what we have been looking for ( Autoquest 145) BUT the owner has used it as a rental vehicle and it appears to be a petrol engine. Will we have problems when we resell as it is x rental and did peugot produce a euro4 vehicle with a petrol engine? if so would it be expensive to run?

Very few, AFAIK, private owners rent out their vehicles, mainly due to insurance complications and fear of what may befall their precious van! So, I would suspect this van has been company owned until proved otherwise. Make sure you see the V5C logbook and confirm that the registered keeper is the seller.

Whatever the outcome, examine the van very carefully for damage inside and out, with especial reference to the underside of the chassis, the top front and sides of the overcab area, and the rear panel and quarters. Look for signs of repair and if you see ANY, I would say walk away there and then. A hire van is a means of earning income, likely to be repaired "quick and dirty" to get it back earning as soon as possible, and not necessarily to restore it to a fully weathertight condition.

Simple answer to last question is no, AFAIK it will invariably be a diesel, which somewhat suggests to me the seller is not that familiar with what he is selling, further suggesting his "ownership" is in name only. Be very, very, cautious.

Regarding choice of layout, I agree with the comments above that a large luton is very likely to give the van the handling characteristics of a galleon, and the aerodynamics of a barn door! Many happily accept that, but it is something else to be aware of.

Also, be aware that even light drizzle is clearly audible inside most vans, and anything heavier makes a surprising noise, so do not anticipate undisturbed sleep on wet nights!

Be further aware that the bulbous luton will become the natural heat sink for the van: hot air rises, and it is the highest part of the van. Most have relatively poor ventilation, and even in those with opening rooflights it is seldom practical to sleep with the rooflight open if there is any likelihood of rain, as to the best of my knowledge none of the popular brands of rooflight reliably keep rain out even when only slightly open, especially if there is wind. Of the others, especially those with only one window in a side wall of the luton, expect stuffiness and airlessness on hot nights.

It should also be expected to rock on windy nights, which I know some find uncomfortable.

What it seems most do, is to convert the lounge to beds at night, benefiting from easier access and egress to/from the bed, reverting it to lounge during the day, and use the luton merely to store bedding and other light items. This removes the need for luton headroom, so no great bulge over the cab, which to some extent ameliorates the galleon like handling and aerodynamic shortcomings of this type.

Final thought. Have you considered hiring before you buy? It would enable you to test your assumptions at far lower cost that buying, and then discovering you have misinterpreted how you and your preferred layout will interact.

Hi Tony,

If it is the one I have found for sale with nearly 18,000 miles on the clock for £22,500 then the price does reflect the high mileage for such a young vehicle (although the ad I have found makes no mention of ex-hire, it just says 'Private' sale).

Remember if buying privately that you have NO come back on the seller if things go wrong after you have handed over your cash. Whereas if you buy from a dealer you are protected under the Sale of Goods Act.

This model of Autoquest can be found for between £33k and £36k brand new so do not pay over the odds for it.

Keith.

Hi again. Having spoken to the dealership that sold the motorhome in 2009 it would appear it did not have a service in 2011 so no continuation of warranty re water ingress from Elddis. Plus it is due for the first mot in september and that makes me wonder why is it being sold now. Anyway not going to get too stressed as looking for a motorhome to" live the dream" is a nice problem. Thanks again for all your help.

Archived