How Soon would you pay?

maggyd

There is no point in getting wound up about something that should be a pleasurable (albeit for most of us at least mildly stressful) experience.

Frankly, you should forget any issues, perceived or otherwise, about Brownhills, and approach the deal in a clear, businesslike manner, as you should with any supplier.

A deposit, which I believe you have paid, demonstrates good faith, and is all you should pay until you are happy with the vehicle and have it in your possession. It will be at risk if the supplier goes bust, and generally if you pull out of the deal (unless specifically defined as returnable). One should therefore always try to minimise the deposit, but a supplier will generally want a decent minimum.

I have also bought from B/H in the past subject to inspection of the p/x, though I did know the people I was dealing with, and have my own damp meter.

My advice, since you appear to be now getting apprehensive, would be to get your current 'van to them and have the px value underwritten after inspection. (I think Brian is suggesting the same). If they won't underwite it, consider calling the deal off and demanding the return of the deposit. If it is underwritten, then so far so good, BUT, having paid a substantial deposit, no more money should change hands until you are happy with, and have been handed the vehicle and bill of sale.

A CHAPS payment can be arranged almost to the hour (banks vary on their method, but we faxed a release through).

The advice above is not B/H specific, simply good practice. If you are getting concerned, talk to the CAB.

BTW, don't hand over the p/x until the new vehicke is in your hands.

(apologies for being a bit disjointed, posting from France on 'phone)

When we bought our motorhome new at the Birmingham show the dealer did not ask for payment early, we agreed a part ex price subject to checking on change over.

On the due day we arrived, checked the new van over thouroughly, the dealer did a damp check and the once over on our van and was happy with the condition and then we changed over all our belongings.

Then and only then did we pay on Debit card. .

No reputable dealer would ask you for full payment a month before, if you do then you are very likely to lose the full amount and possibly your existing van as well if you put that in early too.

RD

We do have the completed Order Form which states less PX £xx.xxx which is signed by salesman and O.H and states the balance that they want us to transfer to their bank with acc no.

But as everyone is saying they cant stop us from paying by debit card and I will make sure we dont have any hickups by making sure I have all information bank will need if they ring us.

Guest Peter James
maggyd - 2012-08-28 9:08 PM

We initially went to Newark but they just didnt seem interested in selling us anything!!

Off topic I know, but like the laid back approach of the sales staff at Brownhills Newark - they let you walk round and see the stock yourself unhindered by sales staff, which I like, and it makes me more likely to buy. I would rather find out for myself whats available than ask a commission driven salesman. If I am pounced on by sales staff I tend to just walk away without buying anything.

Hi Maggyd

As has been said many times already don't pay for the new van until you are happy with the condition ofit and the final deal. It sounds like they haven't seen your van yet and may be they will try and re negotiate the px value on your van after doing an appraisal on it and looking for anything you haven't told them about, small marks etc. And it's difficult to cancel the deal when you have paid them most of the money already.

It could also be they have a cash flow problem with too much money tied up in stock and may have to pay the manufacturer for the van when it is delivered / registered which could be the 10 days before you are due to collect it. We all know that the banks are cautious about business's working capital and if there are several vans arriving / having to be paid for at the same time from manufacturers it could be a sizeable amount of money coming out of their account at the same time, it doesn't however mean they are insolvent.

Even so don't let them pressure you into paying early.

Gavin

kelly58 - 2012-08-29 8:34 AM

This may answer all your concerns as from 1st September the Brownhill site will be taken over by Marquis see link below from an e-mail I received yesterday.

http://marquismotorhomes.createsend5.com/t/ViewEmail/r/251C218283BFEDB1/353D980895A7DE8244D0DD5392A9C75A

That sums it all up very nicely!Brownhills wanted your money before handing over the dealership on the 1 st September.And where would that have left you if they took your money with them?I would ask them for written confirmation of how the change of ownership of the dealership will affect your purchase and more importantly after sales service.Keith.

This may answer all your concerns as from 1st September the Brownhill site will be taken over by Marquis see link below from an e-mail I received yesterday.

http://marquismotorhomes.createsend5.com/t/ViewEmail/r/251C218283BFEDB1/353D980895A7DE8244D0DD5392A9C75A

Thank you so much for that :-D problem solved. Do you know John my better half smelled a rat while we were sat in the office, he even asked the FM whats going on with all the suits ;-) nothing was the answer they are just having a look around ! yah right.I just hope everything goes alright, must admit to feeling less stressed now the end of August balance question has been answered. Wait till Mel see,s this she said yesterday she has a feeling something is amiss but she didnt have time to rummage (lol) seeing as she is picking up her van this morning :-D lucky so and so.

Keithl - 2012-08-29 9:03 AM

That sums it all up very nicely!Brownhills wanted your money before handing over the dealership on the 1 st September.And where would that have left you if they took your money with them?I would ask them for written confirmation of how the change of ownership of the dealership will affect your purchase and more importantly after sales service.Keith.
Thanks Keith good idea.

In light of the link above IMO the sales people there are looking to their 'pockets' asking you to pay so early.  With the site changing hands it looks like they were hoping you would cough up early to ensure they/he/she got their sales commission..............something akin to shady practice IMO and I would be pi55ed off if this had happened to me.  At best they were being chancers and at worst they were outright lying to you to get your money.........not nice, not nice at all.

Good luck.

RogerC - 2012-08-29 10:47 AMIn light of the link above IMO the sales people there are looking to their 'pockets' asking you to pay so early.  With the site changing hands it looks like they were hoping you would cough up early to ensure they/he/she got their sales commission..............something akin to shady practice IMO and I would be pi55ed off if this had happened to me.  At best they were being chancers and at worst they were outright lying to you to get your money.........not nice, not nice at all.

Good luck.

Thanks Roger your right we do feel (ill be polite lol) miffed !! and we just hope were not going to have any arguments with this new Dealership, and it just goes to show NO MATTER how nice the young man is he is only thinking of no1 himself :-S but now we are ready for them with plenty of ammunition and Im not going to worry anymore we are not desperate we have a lovely van if they try to offer less for it all deals are off.

Well I can report ALL is well :-D we have just had a phone call from MD at Brownhills He apologised profusely for the phone call we had yesterday he said it should never have happened and he assured us that they will let us know as soon as our van is ready and we wont be asked to settle until the day, we are now very happy and relieved.

Thanks for all the input. :-D

maggyd - 2012-08-28 10:15 PM

We do have the completed Order Form which states less PX £xx.xxx which is signed by salesman and O.H and states the balance that they want us to transfer to their bank with acc no.

But as everyone is saying they cant stop us from paying by debit card and I will make sure we dont have any hickups by making sure I have all information bank will need if they ring us.

Maggy, please believe me when I say I am not trying to influence your approach to this deal, just trying to put you fully on your guard. :-)

Have you read all the fine print on the order form? I would expect there to be something regarding payment of outstanding balances, and how these payments may be made. If not, then there is no reason why you should not pay by debit card. If there is, then, in signing the order, you have agreed to their terms of contract and are contractually bound by them.

In similar fashion, I would expect the form to say something regarding P/X values quoted "sight unseen". I simply can't believe any organisation would bind itself to a price given against photographs only. If they do, why then do they want to see the van beforehand? The only logical reason can be to confirm it meets what they expect, and to either reject it, or drop their offer, if they find it does not. IMO, there must be a get out clause under the circumstances you describe. If there is nothing, the P/X is fixed as part of the deal, and any move by them to vary their offer would amount to breach of contract. Firms usually protect themselves very carefully against that risk. I'm sure it will be in there somewhere.

Next point. Marquis take over that branch, including the staff, from 1/9/12. They say they will then refurbish the premises before a grand opening on 4-7 October. My reading is it is only the staff + premises they will take on, so I would expect all existing stock to go to B/H Newark, or elsewhere. By the end of September, the new Marquis branch will be full of new and used Marquis vans.

But, your deal is with B/H. So, could the deal be concluded on Marquis premises, as you appear to be assuming, by those who will then be Marquis staff? I very much doubt it. I would assume your new van will be delivered to Newark, and the handover will take place there. If there are problems with your new van (lets hope not), I would assume B/H will deal with them from Newark. Your salesman will presumably have transferred to Marquis, so you will presumably have to deal with someone else at Newark. I'm not suggesting any of these things will amount to problems, but I think it would be worth sorting out exactly who you will deal with at the end of September, and where that transaction will take place.

If that is the case, I can only assume the motive for trying to get you to pay early was to gain the benefit of commission from B/H as their employer, before the staff transfer to Marquis. Otherwise, as B/H will in any case profit from your sale, there would be no advantage to them in seeking early payment. It seems your salesman, and his immediate manager, were seeking to benefit from a deal they made, rather than letting a Newark salesman benefit from something they have put no effort into.

I'll PM you the next bit!

maggyd - 2012-08-29 2:51 PM

Well I can report ALL is well :-D we have just had a phone call from MD at Brownhills He apologised profusely for the phone call we had yesterday he said it should never have happened and he assured us that they will let us know as soon as our van is ready and we wont be asked to settle until the day, we are now very happy and relieved.

Thanks for all the input. :-D

That's a relief maggy ... from what's been said above I think you have an answer now to what was going on - I know the salesmen work on commission but it's extremely underhand if that's what they were doing. It looks like Brownhills may be better off without them and Marquis had better watch what they get up to too!!!

... our van's very nice by the way ...! :D

Off to bed now ... knackered!!!!! :$

Guest Peter James
Mel B - 2012-08-29 10:38 PM

It looks like Brownhills may be better off without them and Marquis had better watch what they get up to too!!!

I think that sums it up pretty well

Archived