A few new panel vans

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2012-09-29 10:23 AM

JudgeMental - 2012-09-29 9:35 AM

just seen that it is on the 3500kg MAXI chassis...does that mean stronger axles?

I also notice that an extra lead on rear suspension now a Fiat oprion

I seem to recall Nick(euroserve)going in to a bit of depth on which/how many leaves(leafs?) the springs on different Fiat models had...

...I think it may'be been one of the, "MOT failure/Bumpstops" type threads... :-S

Although,no idea how "current" that info' would be now though....

just noticed spelling: lead = leaf

Yep and thats what I thought when I saw it on options list..That some have failed the MOT on this and now it is an option is surely an admisson that extra springs should br there anyway, ot that builders should specify when ordering ....

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental

New Possl 2014 revolution model with electric bed..

is this the fastest electric bed in the west. well it is that I have seen, unless video speeded up! A great idea as I can keep our expensive electric bikes in van and still sleep above on route than when on site can lock bikes up outside and sleep on bed in lower position...

Its a high top so fuel consumption/handling probably not so good..I still prefer the french bed model(Oh! la la:-D) posted earlier. if only Possl would make the bed arrangement mor practical with easy flip up.

anyway the van comes with fly screen door, masses of storage for a panel van. + an electric closing door. I would guesstimate a LHD on the road here for circa £45K

in video it is the 4 berth twin bed version..pretty daft in a panel van, Just enough space for 2 let alone 4!

http://www.promobil.de/test/premiere-poessl-roadcruiser-quer-gedacht-6499251.html

also a new Possl Relax model with no front dinette and very large bathroom for a panel van, it is after the electric bed model in this photo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgkrAHDbR-M

As per usual the germans charging on with innovation :D

The POSSL van looks fantastic and probably better than anything I have seen in the UK. But my worry is the size. At 6.36m that is larger than anything I would want to own as it negates some of the advantages of panel van ownership and for me would be that much more difficult to swivel into my drive off a narrow road and park in car parks which are limited to 6m slots. Others might find the same difficulties.

My current van is 6m and I notice a tremendous difference in agility over my previous 5.5m panel van so an additional 0.36m is not inconsiderable. I know people say it is not that much longer but it does make a difference. Indeed a coachbuilt is only a few inches wider but the increase in size is the difference between a relaxing and stressful driving experience. But for those who need space and are tempted into panel van ownership these vans look an ideal compromise but for existing panel van owners why is upsizing necessary as that negates some of the reasons for taking the sensible decision to become a panel van owner.

I'm not a fan of double beds either as sleeping 2 up in temperatures of close to 40 degrees C is too hot for me and I do not like the idea of climbing over or being climbed over by my other half in the middle of the night for Thetford usage.

As for the springs issue I thought this issue had been resolved in the sense that the suspension resting on the bump stops is an integral part of the vehicle's design and is not a reason for MOT failure.

Very interesting post, Eddie, thanks.

Here in deepest Devon, we are relying on 3G for comms but generally getting 2G.....so not so good for pics and videos but never mind, got the idea.

Our van has a French bed and feels far mor open than some we have looked at, the bed needs to be high enough for good storage but low enough to be able to sit up for the morning cuppa!

The bed in the 636FR looks about right, no step required possibly?

I'd do a hands on test of sleeping with one half of the bed tilted up to accommodate two large electric bikes as you would end up sandwiched between the sidewall and ethe bikes or the wardrobe and the bikes depending on which portion flips up. I would imagine either to be very claustrophobic?

Also, what sort of bed can be made up using a dinette in the front, all received wisdom suggests a lumpy jigsaw of a bed.......

I understand the issue with electric bikes outside, ours are on our rack most of the time and we are checking out garage versions to keep them warm and safe.

Picking up on the Possl Relax version, again have only seen a couple of images, a front lounge rear bathroom would be good if a drop down bed can be engineered. They have done it over the rear section of a panel van but, apart from La Strada, not much yet.

In fact, the nearest to this concept is still Pilotes small 6m A class with over cab bed and good lounge, along with double floor and full winterisation. Worth a look if you want a small van with loads of internal space.

Good luck on your search .

Cor, Eddie. That's just taken up over half an hour of the morning and my tea's gone cold. The German and Adria vans are so far ahead of the traditional Autosleepers in design. It'll be interesting to see whether the UK markets moves away from tradition to the more enlightened take on the PVC.

Guest JudgeMental

It was PKC I think who alerted us to this new van a few weeks ago....more or less dismissed it the time as I prefer the lower roof french bed version, as Chris says it has an open aspect unusual in a panel van. where they usually have a bottleneck in middle..Chris there is a step up to french bed, shame you cant access video/photos so easily, but as for now it does not easily accommodate bikes so still mulling this one over...

It is probably 8K + more then the french bed. the french bed is king size @1500 wide so hardly cramped and wider then many CB FB models that have the bathroom wedged in next to it....... The electric bed in "revolution" model is not a transverse bed it is designed as a long wide double, can be slept in either way but we would use as you would twin singles so no climbing over..it is in fact 1900x2000 so enormous!

My dealer says he can engineer the FR model so it accommodates one bed down and one up to accommodate bikes, this would suit us better but would prefer if Possl had this foresight! incidentally Adria much more practical design (and mattresses) when it comes to beds.

If you want a panel van that can really challenge a CB you have to look at the 636 metre vans...they are after all one foot longer then a 6 metre.....Yes they are harder to reverse, I cant reverse mine into my drive and easily did with the euromobil which was a lot bigger. BUT! I dont have to reverse it in, I can either reverse all the way up the drive or drive straight up and reverse back out..both simple maneuvers compared to my CB!

Chris they are very well winterised..want a double floor get a La Strada :-D

http://www.camperscaravans.nl/campers/1206429/Possl-Roadcruiser-Revolution--1.html

http://tinyurl.com/pn8m6oc

Hi Judge;

the Globecar looks very practical, maybe I'd have issues with the length, but if the layout had been available when we had our van conversion done (or more particularly an 18 month old one had been available) we may not have had to go the bespoke route. Our layout is similar, but our "french bed" allows us both to get up in the middle of the night with minimal disturbance to the other. I think we have better storage too. Panel vans are an acquired taste, no doubt about it, but it's good to see some fresh ideas, rather than slimmed down versions of "standard" layouts, which are bound to disappoint ex CB advocates,

regards

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

Mine an identical layout version of our last CB and we are more then happy with it. same size gas, fridge, and tanks as well so eminently practical.....Yes I don't know what they will think of for next year, as some of the latest panel vans have really pushed the envelope....a model available for most tastes.....even you know who! :D

Snowy, Have have you thought anymore about that swing out bike rack, as I'm sure Hugh would kindly send pictures of his if you know someone who could fabricate them....

Eddie, spent weekend at Autotrail launch event at Brownhills en route to France where main launch was the V line PVC conversions. Whilst these are certainly built to a good spec they seem poor value for money, around £50 000, and some certainly appeared to have strange design features. The 600 layout for example required back doors to be opened to access both toilet and gas! Full details on autotrail web site, but not sure they will appeal to van enthusiasts, never mind dyed in the wool CB fans like us!

Guest JudgeMental

Hi R&J, Crazy prices..Thats the UK for you! On top of that you then need to add the essential extras!

As Tom Jones said "its not unusual" with van conversions to access the gas bootles and more rarely the toilet from behind rear doors. I love sitting in bed on a hot summer morning having a cuppa in bed with both doors swung back...

here is the autotrol V line. but a 6m van at over 50K when I can get a seriously good one from germany for less then 35K so not for moi (that's french for me :D) Plus the steering wheel and sliding door on the wrong side!!:-D

http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/news/motorhomes/autotrail/auto-trail-v-line-sets-new-standard-of-van-conversion-luxury-$21382983.htm

JudgeMental - 2013-09-12 3:14 PM

Snowy, Have have you thought anymore about that swing out bike rack, as I'm sure Hugh would kindly send pictures of his if you know someone who could fabricate them....

Certainly - just say the word.

I'm very happy with it - just back from 6 weeks/5200 miles around Europe, uphill and down dale, and the rack's been great.

Surprisingly (to me anyway) - no feeling of tail wagging dog despite extra weight and length on 6.3m van.

The Roadcruiser bears more than a 'passing' resemblance to the original Hymer Exsis layout wise and is what the 2nd incarnation should have been. Still wouldn't like to have to get in and out of the upper bed though - tried it in the original Exsis and it weren't easy!

Guest JudgeMental

Mel Check this out girl..... http://www.poessl-mobile.de/de/modelle.html

And you will see the H line and Vario range of high tops with beds up high are more like the original hymer exsis. Possl/Globecar ( same vans except for graphics/upholstery) now have a range of sixteen vans...

Hugh, I will probably stick with my 6 metre van if I could get a swing out rack like yours, but not paying 1200 euro for one plus fitting which according to your ( and mine) dealer is tricky and needs professional installation *-) So come on Snowy! Get your finger out! :D

JudgeMental - 2013-09-13 8:12 AM

Hugh, I will probably stick with my 6 metre van if I could get a swing out rack like yours, but not paying 1200 euro for one plus fitting which according to your ( and mine) dealer is tricky and needs professional installation *-) So come on Snowy! Get your finger out! :D

It's floating to the surface Judge; but so is a load of other stuff; so little time!

I've not looked at the fitting aspect, but it would certainly be more involved than a Fiamma bike rack.

regards

alan b

robertandjean - 2013-09-12 4:29 PM

spent weekend at Autotrail launch event at Brownhills en route to France where main launch was the V line PVC conversions. Whilst these are certainly built to a good spec they seem poor value for money, around £50 000, and some certainly appeared to have strange design features.

I too spent a couple of hours looking at Auto-Trail's new V-Line van conversions. Certainly expensive but when you begin to look at the detail you can see where some of that money goes. The removal of the steel roof panel and its replacement with a GRP moulded shell is not a cheap route to go down. The net result is a van conversion inside that gets rid of the crowded cab area with its head-banging cross beam. The cab area with its large opening roof-light is a revelation and an extremely pleasant place to sit. Double floor, grade 3 thermal insulation, pull out drawer storage under floor, compressor drawer fridge and excellent designed kitchen with a single toughened glass worksurface housing the sink, draining board and hob will be a dream to clean. Other detail adds to the expense such as the interior moulded roof panels which appear to be made from a high grade substantial plastic unlike some of the thin fragile plastic found in cheaper variants. The washroom is probably the best I have seen in any van conversion.

Whilst I was there the interest in the van was huge. Probably a little over my price bracket and not the layout I would acquire so not for me but good to see a UK manufacturer setting such a high standard. I'm sure Auto-Trail new van conversions will sell well.

Guest JudgeMental

Roof probably "looks" OK but over engineered to me and pointless. you lose valuable storage over cab, and you don't need empty space above your head when driving or even when swivelled around towards lounge, it would make sense if it accommodated a drop down bed

lots of bling, like a tarts boudoir (i should know!) simply eye candy....We are so starved of decent choice here. What they should do is work on supplying vans that offer practical value for money. maybe they could then sell in Europe, expand, + satisfy there Italian owners, then i and others would not need to shop overseas:-D

Anyway that's my take....NEXT! :-D

Having owned two low profile vans with a skylight overhead in lieu of storage, I can categorically say that tho open aspect and increased headroom is far mor to our liking.

Whilst I agree in a PVC storage might be at a premium, so is airiness and space in the cab area.

If we move to a panel van we will have a rear bedded model which means a front lounge. Small cramped lounges are the weak point of these vans currently and a higher roof with a skylight would help immensely.

We were not able to be at Sheptom this weekend as we are in Devon for another week but will check out the Autotrail, and others, at the NEC. Not sure if the V Line layouts will have a rear bed yet, it seems a front lounge and rear washroom or rear lounge models are the only ones available at present.

Neither of these would suit us, unless there was a drop down bed in the front lounge model.....I can't be assed to go back to making up a bed each night.

Rear bead great for storage and providing a separate area to read etc.

Yes, 50k steep, but these are surely pitched against Auto Sleepers which are directly comparable on price.

JudgeMental - 2013-09-13 5:40 PM

lots of bling, like a tarts boudoir (i should know!) simply eye candy....We are so starved of decent choice here. What they should do is work on supplying vans that offer practical value for money. maybe they could then sell in Europe, expand, + satisfy there Italian owners, then i and others would not need to shop overseas:-D

Anyway that's my take....NEXT! :-D

Have you examined one in detail? You're obviously aware of some pretty up-market 'tarts boudoir'. If it's 'bling' then it's pretty practical bling. I would imagine that the vehicle is targeted at a very specific niche market and designed purposely not to compete with any offerings from its Italian owners. From this thread I can see how it would be totally unsuitable for your needs as it would mine but surely that shouldn't prevent us from acknowledging that someone has done a pretty innovative and quality job of a van conversion that someone with deeper pockets than us will surely buy. Just like cars - models to suit all pockets.

bolero boy - 2013-09-14 8:06 AM

Not sure if the V Line layouts will have a rear bed yet, it seems a front lounge and rear washroom or rear lounge models are the only ones available at present.

Chris,

A rear bed model will be the third in the line up and is due next spring according to Auto-Trail. We spoke to the factory rep at the recent ATOC rally (where AT where showing the first model) and he said that he believes it will be a French bed layout.

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
grahamw - 2013-09-14 8:06 AM

lots of bling,:-D

Have you examined one in detail? .

No thanks..more overpriced british vans is the last thing we need..no wonder we cant compete!lol

your niche market of baby boomers with more money than sense that you see trundling around shows, may well be easily impressed, but its a finite market and they wont be around for ever.....

When I can get a perfectly well engineered van from germany from £30K why would I entertain or even give the time of day to a van costing well over £20.000 MORE..Unlike cars its still a Fiat commercial van! *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-09-14 10:50 AM

grahamw - 2013-09-14 8:06 AM

lots of bling,:-D

Have you examined one in detail? .

No thanks..more overpriced british vans is the last thing we need..no wonder we cant compete!lol

your niche market of baby boomers with more money than sense that you see trundling around shows, may well be easily impressed, but its a finite market and they wont be around for ever.....

When I can get a perfectly well engineered van from germany from £30K why would I entertain or even give the time of day to a van costing well over £20.000 MORE..Unlike cars its still a Fiat commercial van! *-)

Eddie: What do do about insurance when buying a van in Germany? Is it not the case that you can only insure a vehicle third party from the dealership to the Port of departure to the UK. If that is the case then that might be a concern for some. I would seriously consider buying a German van but I fear my motorhoming days are coming to an end.

Archived