Clive

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Tracker

Better still modify your fridge door catch to hold the door open about half an inch and you may well find that smells and mould do not congregate in the first place.

A wash out with washing up liquid and hot water, and then dry it before leaving it, at the end of each trip also helps achieve this.

In the old days fridge door catches used to come with two holes - one to secure it airtight and one to secure it just open.

It worked so well that it no longer seems to be needed - by the makers that is?

Tracker:

As far as I'm aware the design of all Dometic and Thetford 'leisure vehicle' fridges (whenever they were produced) includes a means of securing the door(s) slightly open for ventilation purposes when the appliance is not in use. Perhaps you've been looking at fridges from other manufacturers?

• 1 month later...
The red plastic boxes that Family Circle biscuits come in fit snugly into the high level cupboards of both coachbuilts that we have had. With their lids on they also stacked securely three high. Great container for medications, batteries, loose vehicle light bulbs and other bits and pieces.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chas we find the very veritile elastic band with 2 small hooks even better they can be used to secure any shape and size also they can sub divide compatments and the bands can be free from your local postman that are discarded on his rounds and the kooks pennies.

Another tip visit your local recycling area and in the recycled fridges are loads of all sorts of trays and wire baskets that can be reused with many having the "eyes" for attatchment, the plastic coated wire shelves can be bent and formed to all sorts of dimensions to be placed in all sorts of tiny awkward corners.

Curly (lol)

• 4 months later...

I don't think this has been mentioned before.

When going on longer ferry crossings, when the fridge will be off for some time, freeze your bottles of milk and water before you put them in the fridge.

Helps to keep everything cold. Has worked for us up to 24 hours.

That's a good idea, Malc, as long as there is room for the liquid to expand in the bottles as they freeze.

I found some small freezer blocks in Tesco the other day that fit perfectly in my m/h fridge's ice-box. I can freeze them before I go and whenever the fridge is turned on they will re-freeze.

J9withdogs - 2008-06-15 10:17 PM

That's a good idea, Malc, as long as there is room for the liquid to expand in the bottles as they freeze.

I found some small freezer blocks in Tesco the other day that fit perfectly in my m/h fridge's ice-box. I can freeze them before I go and whenever the fridge is turned on they will re-freeze.

They sound like the small blocks we used in our 'cold bags' and boxes when tent camping.

The trouble with them in a fridge is that they take up storage space, whereas the milk/water bottles are ditched.

• 1 month later...

Rear view camera......I got one for when I tow my trailer. However, I am reluctant to drill holes in the motorhome body if I can avoid it.

I bought a cheap desk lamp with a strong clamp fitted to the bottom from Homebase and took off the clamp. This I attached to the camera and when I need the camera I clip it to the curtain pelmet and run the cable through the motorhome and plug in to the "monitor tail" below the dashboard.

On arrival, I make it all up and stow it away. It also keeps the camera out of the weather, and although rain on the rear window will cause some loss of vision, I can still keep an eye on the trailer and reverse if need be.

ROON - 2008-08-23 3:47 PM

If you keep candles in a cupboard for emergency use, don;'t store your hob kettle in the same cupboard unless you make sure it isn't still hot underneath first ..... :-( :'(

I would have thought that using candles in a motorhome, even as an emergency, was dangerous. It would be safer to keep a windup torch, they are very cheap these days.

Yep Randonneur, Know what you mean.... it's a sort of hangup thing left over from my youth.. keep candles to hand for emergencies. I only lit one once when having a meal; wanted to cheer myself up and have a romantic meal for one... :'( but the smoke alarm went off and I havn't used them since .......... other than to weld onto the bottom of my kettle of course.

• 4 weeks later...

With the wet summer we've had so far, its a devil of a job to dry a wet towel in a camper following a shower.

If you wipe the excess water off your body with a face flannel (wringing out as you go), before finally drying off with the towel, you'll find that the towel will be barely damp and dry soooooo much quicker.

When parking on wet grass the tyres, being round and of narrow profile, tend to sink into the ground.

This means that when you drive off you have to get the wheels out of the holes before you can make any progress and this is when the driven wheels spin as they are unable to pull themselves and the rear wheels out of their pits.

For many years we have carried four sheets of plywood about 12" square which we place under each wheel when parking on all but solid grass.

This enables the driven wheels to grip right from first application of power and as none of the wheels are in a pit we usually get away without getting stuck although sometimes with a bit of wheelspin.

When the wheels do start spinning let off the power as much as possible and reduce the spin rate to give them a chance to grip again - but try not to stop once rolling.

Our 'pads' are made from 2 layers of three eighths - 12.5 mm - marine ply laminated together to form a pad six eighths - three quarters of an inch - 25 mm - thick - which seems adequate to take the weight.

If you have the storage space and the wood making them bigger to spread the load even further would be better still!

Ours have a hole in one corner with a rope loop to make them easier to retrieve and drop into the ubiquitous Tesco storage bags - which are then disposable when dirty (the bags not the pads!).

The pads can be further enhanced by fixing some old broken yellow plastic so called grip tracks to either side this gives more grip and makes them easier to clean.

If you have grip tracks already you may as well use them because the grip tracks themselves are too flexible and not tough enough to be of any real use in the real slippy stuff.

When staying on a Caravan Club site, you'll find a mop and bucket situated in the shower block. Following a shower, if you mop the dressing area floor with the aforementioned equipment (wringing the mop out as you go), the person using the shower after you will very much appreciate the gesture.

bob b - 2008-09-19 11:01 PM

When staying on a Caravan Club site, you'll find a mop and bucket situated in the shower block. Following a shower, if you mop the dressing area floor with the aforementioned equipment (wringing the mop out as you go), the person using the shower after you will very much appreciate the gesture.

and if the ignorant sod who left the shower in a mess before you had done the same you might feel more inclined to do the same yourself!

We bought one of those minute swim towels that need to stay damp, they are brill for drying off after a shower, then I just use my normal towel for a final rub keeping it dry.

Also I use a trouser coat hanger ( the clip type) to hang our towels up to dry.

Another useful tip, I bought 4 towel rings that hang over the door for hand towels.

And some useful over door hooks from Netto, I put them on the Wardrobe in the bathroom for hanging wet coats or just for a dressing gown.

This way The motohome stays intact without drilling holes, and I can take them on to any new van we have.