USEFUL TIPS

Clive

As long as you avoid high risk places : for instance motorway service areas on the outskirts of large towns and cities, unless your house is a fortress you are probably at no more risk of being broken into at night in your motorcaravan than you are at home. The glazing is always the weak point.

The cheapest deterrent is probably a slightly hungry large dog.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After 4 years of motorhoming we had worked out exactly what bottles pots crockery etc we wanted soI

bought a large piece of foam, cut out appropriate sized holes with electric knife and also correct shape for cupboard. Al the stuff is now easy to get at fits neatly and DOESN'T RATTLE...most important bit for us!!! Also I don't get a cascade of things on my head when I open it

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

For people with no hang ups

A dismountable clothes line for the shower.

Basically take two lengths of 15mm dia plastic water pipe and drill 2 mm holes across. Thread nylon string through the holes from one pipe to the other.. The pipe drops into hooks screwed or stuck onto the wall. The length of string is adjusted to suit the width available and knotted . Out of use the tube is rolled up in the string and stows in a small space.

• 6 months later...
Lakeland sell a battery powered LED motion detector light, with a manual over ride button, stick it to the ceiling of the toilet area, open the door and on it goes, the manual over ride is great for those extended stays in the loo! *-)

• 5 months later...
Guest pelmetman
pelmetman - 2011-01-31 5:29 PM

Blood, if you get blood on fabric, the best way to remove it is to use saliva......but it has to be the bleeders blood :D

So my usefull tip........ is to get your other half to spit into a cup before you beat them to death, as it makes cleaning up so much easier (lol) (lol)

See....... I knew I once made a useful post :-D............2011 .........crikey I didn't know it was that long ago 8-)..............doesn't time fly when your a semi idle oike :-S.....

• 7 months later...

One I picked up on the net and it works.

Refresh faded black plastic bumpers or minor scuffs in interior plastic trim with a hot air gun. I did mine a month ago and they still look tidy. Some scuffs on the dash caused by carrying planks have almost vanished.

Try it out somewhere out of the eyeline and keep moving and you will see the surface freshening up. I needed the higher setting.

If it starts to bubble you have probably overcooked it.

I have often done this on Auto Sleepers with the black plastic panels on the sides, such as Duettos. Yes it does work, but you seed some skill and care, otherwise you will make a mess of the surface.

Note, we are talking hot air guns here; another name for a paint stripper and the air does get really hot!

• 1 month later...

Not a MH owner yet - but have been doing lots of reading.... will be purchasing March/April 2015.. retirement at 55 :)... bring it on!...

Another tip I read elsewhere.... worth sharing here me thinks...

Put a LARGE dogs bowl and one of those (large) studded dog collars ( attached to a lead) outside the door - of an evening :)

sounded like a good idea to moi... :)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Norma - 2006-08-14 6:12 PM

1) I must have lots - I can only think of a couple for the moment. We have a vertical cupboard that is inclined to open when we go round the bend. Especially if the tray attached to the door is full of wine bottles - as the tray appears to be designed for. Solved it with a door safety catch - the sort to keep babies out.

2) A van we saw on holiday had a large garage door that was hinged across the top. They had fixed rows of washing line across the width of the door to hang washing from while the door was open - brilliant.

3) We fill the fresh water tank with convential garden hose. Sometimes the pressure from the supply is so high the hose falls out. Another short (few inches) piece shoved in beside the filling hose holds the hose in place.

Regarding "lot 3" can I suggest you get one of these. It takes the place of the lockable filler cap when topping up your water tank. Iv'e had this one for 8 years and wouldn't be without it.

DSCF1962.JPG.3d88486d9e671245f56e903f8aeeee92.JPG

• 2 months later...
Ranger - 2006-07-09 8:50 PM

Yes Chas, brilliant idea, I use a similar idea in the bathtroom cabinet as the first opening on arrival on site was usually followed by a shower of littlle bottles, tubes of tooth paste, spare soap,spare loo rolls etc etc. Now everything stays where it belongs. I like Mels under bed storage ideas, unfortunately our under bed store is a huge drawer on runners, dodgey on roundabouts if not locked. Keep the tips rolling in ! ! ! What can you do with clothes pegs ? ? ?

This idea sounds great,but it's not simple to do that...

• 4 months later...

Probably obvious, but I spoke to the window cleaner and he said he could clean the Moho no problem, they have long brushes and all the equipment to do the roof.

So I don't have to risk climbing up, or pay someone to jet wash it with all the risks entailed.

• 3 months later...

we put a expandable net curtain rail behind the shower curtain, added four hooks (closed at one end and knobs on the other) so no sharp points and hang large bath towels on these, the original towel rail was inadequate and I told it so.

we also had a suction type hook and stuck it to the mirror next to the wash basin for the hand towel.

the toilet door opens towards the bed and the light switch is on the outside of the room, when you turn the light on in the middle of the night the light burns your retinas out, so we bought a three pack of battery operated leds from good old poundland and stuck one just under the cupboard, just the right amount of light for a visit to the toilet.

When we pull our blinds down at night there is a gap at the bottom which lets in a surprising amount of light, so we invested 87 p for a length of pipe insulation, which clips on the bottom of the blind and blocks the light, just pop it behind the seat backrest during the day.

Pete

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My top tips, Screwfix, Screwfix, and Screwfix, amazing what bits and pieces I can get from there and on a Sunday as well, seriously I got a garage cargo net from there which does limit the stuff in the garage moving around, and also a roll of stick on velcro, comes in black or white, lots of fun and uses for that.

Also (and not a Screwfix product) if you are up for a melamine crockery or plastic drinking glasses change out look at the Brunner range with the non stick ring on the underside, stops it sliding off the table but also limits the noise when stored in the cupboards, of course you could also adapt the Scerwfix velcro to do something similar, lol

• 3 months later...