USEFUL TIPS

Clive

bob b - 2008-09-15 10:40 PM

With the wet summer we've had so far, its a devil of a job to dry a wet towel in a camper following a shower.

If you wipe the excess water off your body with a face flannel (wringing out as you go), before finally drying off with the towel, you'll find that the towel will be barely damp and dry soooooo much quicker.

Many years ago I bought a Magic Towel this is a 2ft by 10inch piece of material you used find them on the carousels you often find in shops with camping nick nacks on, compasses and pocket knives etc with this towel I can totally dry myself after a shower if it gets a bit soggy just ring it out and start again.

Terry

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Elastic Straps (bungees)never seem to be the length you want so i use cut from a reel at B&Q about 5mm in dia elastic which can be used in any length. The clever bit is the termination to make it look neat and tidy so I cut a very short length of 10mm copper pipe squash it slightly so it becomes an oval and then you can get the elastic down inside and back out to make a loop which can be hooked on to anythink you like or a complete loop of any length can be made . Once you are happy with length and the stretch bit squash the copper in a vice and or centre or pin punch the copper and that will stop it moving. And it comes in bigger Dia. Mick

Oops spelling mistake Mrs Eve should have typed Bowl but in her defence she said it was my fault as I was bending over cleaning the Kitchen Floor as its my turn for the housework . Just wondered if spellchecker would have picked that mistake up who cares we had a real laugh with the reply Mick

• 8 months later...
Guest Peter James

Practically impossible to drive away a modern vehicle without the keys. So thieves will try every which way to get them. So have a second line of defence in case they do.

Get a steering lock (many places selling them off cheap now as vehicles have manufacturer fitted steering locks so people think they don't need another one).

But keep the key for the steering lock hidden in the vehicle, not on your key ring

• 2 months later...

To clean real dirty/greasy hands get a spoonful of any vegetable oil "Spread", rub well into the hands then wipe off with kitchen towel. The residue can then be easily washed off.

It leaves the hands so soft and clean I've considered putting it in a jar and selling it at ten times the price as a hand cream.......but it does get smelly if left on after a while. :-D

• 5 weeks later...
Randonneur - 2008-08-23 9:34 PM

ROON - 2008-08-23 3:47 PM

If you keep candles in a cupboard for emergency use, don;'t store your hob kettle in the same cupboard unless you make sure it isn't still hot underneath first ..... :-( :'(

I would have thought that using candles in a motorhome, even as an emergency, was dangerous. It would be safer to keep a windup torch, they are very cheap these days.

When I was in Canada it was common to carry two large candles in cars during the winter. They provided sufficient heat to keep you alive if the engine died on you.

Guest pelmetman

Blood, if you get blood on fabric, the best way to remove it is to use saliva......but it has to be the bleeders blood :D

So my usefull tip........ is to get your other half to spit into a cup before you beat them to death, as it makes cleaning up so much easier (lol) (lol)

Carrying Important Contact Details

It’s an unavoidable necessity that you have to carry Passport, Insurance, Vehicle documents when travelling abroad.

Originally posted  in Motorhome Matters, but I thought it would be better in this long standing “sticky”

Cattwg posted :- This may be an old tip but I thought it worth repeating for newer forum members or those going to Europe for the first time.

Before travelling abroad I always make two lists containing the passport and other important telephone, insurance policy and credit card numbers, one for my wallet and the other for my wife’s purse. There is also an emergency UK contact number.
If the worst happens and your motorhome is stolen it’s a stark fact but all you’ve got is what you are standing up in! So with these lists at least you have all the contact numbers needed. We always carry the mobile phone as well – based on similar thinking.
And of course we always hide all documents within the ’van with photocopies hidden in a different place.
Unless we are in a campsite we always carry our passports. In some countries of course you would need to carry them as ID.

I posted our solution (expended from the thread)

Scan the documents & save to a USB stick or SD Card.  (or 2 – one in the Motorhome & one on your person) Either can easily hidden in a secure place in the Motorhome or on your person.

If the Motorhome is broken into or Handbag/Wallet stolen resulting  in one being lost ,you still have a full set available.

If using a SD Card, get one that will fit your Camera & the documents can be read on its screen, using the digital zoom.

Pepe63 added :- insurance certificate,V5, etc., in the van..but with the stick/card idea you could have full copies of loads of stuff(..driving license, inc' paper section, passport, any medical insurance documents etc)  add -travel insurance
They could even contain photos the actual vehicle or any other valuables that you may have in the van, making reporting a theft easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Great tip about the memory stick to back up documents.

My tip I would add is, a couple of well placed sheets of loo roll in the loo saves on flushing water, not nice I know, but very effective, plus we have never used the expensive cassette loo paper.

• 1 month later...
Hi all, I imagine that the old timers will already do this but it seems like a good tip to me. I always do the washing up in the van after meals, (the wife does the cooking), before putting the plates into the bowl wipe them over with paper towel to get rid of any "bits". you do not want any excess food lying in your' waste tank. It seems that most of my wifes friends like the blue LCD "Christmas" lights. Get a set, now very cheap and string them around your motorhome,caravan extension to give it some"VaVaVoom". "A"

• 1 month later...
Hi our names are Don and Marjorie, just sold our Bungalow and are going motorhoming again, we have done quite a bit before, liken7000 miles travelling Europe. We are very old pensioners, 76 and 73, we are starting doing the British Isles first and then going, in the back end to France and Spain. (Spain to see Don's sister), hope we meet a lot of fulltimers to help us on our way. Look forward to hearing from our friends, Hope to start moving soon, when we've bought our next motorhome. Last one was a lovely Hymer. Regards to all Marjorie & Don X.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
When parked on soft ground, I always go back until wheelspin j-u-s-t starts, hold on brake, then drive forward. This uses the 'downhill' part of the wheel-dents to assist forward motion, so you zoom out of the dip. :-> :->

• 2 months later...

:-> what a fantastic tip

i am about ready to buy my first motorhome and have been reading about break ins while sleeping and was wondering what i could do you have just come up with an inexpensive solution

buy the way this is the first time i am on the forum

thanks