Basic Motorhome Wiring

whatsupdoc

Could someone give me some pointers to basic wiring in a motorhome?

I don't necessarily want to start doing stuff myself, but I would like to understand what's going on - is there a central "junction box" and if so does everything pass through it?

For instance, how would extra 12v or 240v sockets be added?

And, for example, if I get someone wewe to fit an MTTP regulator for a solar panel, how could I be sure that it's been wired in such a way that the vehicle battery gets a trickle charge?

As I am a complete novice in these matters any info would be very gratefully received!

You might like to consider John Wickersham's "Motor Caravan Manual" published by Haynes. Available from Amazon, or possibly Halfords. Make sure you get the latest edition: £14.79 from Amazon, with free delivery here: http://tinyurl.com/amur4jt

I don't have a copy, but I know a man who does, and he thinks it very good. Contains lots of useful information beyond electrical systems.

230 v Sockets,Easy way is to  find a cable that feeds an existing socket, make SURE that the power is off, cut this cable and fit a junction box and another cable  to run to where you want the extension socket, connect all up and test, you now have a spur, do not try and run all the sockets [spurs ] at the same time as you  could over load and trip your supply, if you feel competent enough you could run a string of sockets with a cable returning to your  fuse  box/ consumer  unit and  create a Ring Main, Be sure you use  mains power cable.
 12 volt sockets, the easy way is to fit a 12v socket where you want it, run the cables back to your battery through a fuse as close to the batteries as  you can and connect the cables to the battery , be aware of  a Polarity, live to live , neutral to neutral.fuse size depends on what you want to run from the  sockets,and cable size.

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-02 2:17 PM

I don't necessarily want to start doing stuff myself, but I would like to understand what's going on - is there a central "junction box" and if so does everything pass through it?

As I am a complete novice in these matters any info would be very gratefully received!

Sounds like me "whatsupdoc" I like to understand, but when it comes to adding sockets etc 12v or mains, I'd leave it to an electrician, or find a local MH service garage,

regards

alan b

Most people's interest in Motorhome wiring is for fault tracing, but a wiring diagram is often of little help, as it doesn't show the wiring routing.

I'm still trying to trace 12v interior lighting wires in our Adria, as I want to add lighting in the garage.

The plain and ugly truth is that no aspect of modern motorhome wiring could be called basic - it's overly and needlessly complicated in my view and tracing wiring - some of which changes colour along it's buried and hidden routes - is nigh on impossible unless you built the wretched thing yourself!

Better to relate to specifics in which case it is simple enough to obtain a dual output solar panel regulator and wire each output up to different recipient batteries and any competent auto electrician, or maybe the regulator supplier, should be able to advise you or do this for you? The cables to and from batteries often tend to be the thickest going in and out of the box and should be continuous back to the battery or relay or fuse and are thus often relatively easier to identify

It may be that your van already has a built in solar regulator in it's control box in which case either the handbook or the box's maker should be able tell you how and where to connect. Failing that an auto electrician will easily be able to find out which wires go back to which battery by use of a digital multimeter.

If you would care to share with us the make and type of van and control box someone may well be able to help you identify how to do it.

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-02 2:17 PM

And, for example, if I get someone wewe to fit an MTTP regulator for a solar panel, how could I be sure that it's been wired in such a way that the vehicle battery gets a trickle charge?

As Brian Kirby says, John Wickersham's book "The Motorcaravan Manual" will provide general technical information. JW's publication "Build your own Motorcaravan" takes a more DIY hands-on approach. You could probably get your local public library to obtain the book(s) for you, but I strongly suggest you purchase "The Motorcaravan Manual" if you want to improve your background knowledge.

I note that you asked about solar panels very recently

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=29290&posts=13

in which you say that the Chausson Flash 04 you'll be getting is 'pre-wired' for a panel, and Dr Dave gave fairly detailed advice regarding the wiring.

Adding 12V or 230V sockets is potentially straightforward, but that doesn't mean an enthusiastic but ham-fisted DIYer can't make a pig's-ear of the task (and even professionals can make disastrous mistakes). Me, I'd have few qualms over DIYing extra sockets, but I'd still want to think carefully about how best to do it before starting work. As I've no practical experience regarding solar panel installation, I'd need to do a good deal of research before adding a panel. I'm aware of the general principles but not the fine detail. Fortunately, there is plenty of on-line information to help out - for example:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/7661274/ccmjultechnical.pdf

http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/power/power-features/solar-products-feature.htm

If you are not going to install the solar panel yourself - which would seem to be wise as you consider yourself "a complete novice" - then you'll need someone competent to do it for you. The dealership providing the Chausson (presumably the dealership is an official UK Chausson agent?) is the logical choice to do the work, as a) they are likely to be familiar with the Chausson's electrical system and b) it should avoid potential warranty issues. These factors may make it worth paying the high price you've said the dealership has quoted and you may well find, when you shop around, that the installation charges quoted by other people are not much cheaper.

If you want the vehicle-battery to be trickle-charged charged via the solar panel system, you should make this requirement clear to whoever you choose to carry out the installation and, if you feel it necessary, demand to know how they will meet that requirement. Once the system has been installed, it should be easy enough to check whether the requirement has been met.

I've no idea how you identify a conveniently-located solar panel installer who you can be confident will carry out the work to your satisfaction and significantly undercut your dealership's quotation.

(Incidentally, it's "MPPT" (Maximum Power Point Tracking), not "MTTP".)

You can buy small solar panels to fit in your windscreen, connect one of these via a Cigar lighter point [ Fused ] to your  main battery and give it a trickle charge this way, many people use this method  to keep batteries topped up when van is in storage, I once saw these small solar panels being given away at a Motor home show if you bought a full sized panel at the same time.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice (so far ...).

There does seem to be quite a lot of information available, and I'm (slowly) beginning to gain some sore of understanding of what seems to be in principle quite straightforward, but in practice rather messy. And from what people have said, tracing the wiring does seem to pose a significant problem.

I have a Chausson 04 on order, so I can't poke around to look at things and, as I said, I don't think I would want to tackle any of these installations myself - but on the other hand I don't want to appear a complete ignoramus when discussing the wiring with potential installers.

I take Derek's point about dealer installation & costs - and that's still an option (and his correction of MPPT ...) - but building up a little knowledge won't be a bad thing. So when we're out in the wilds of nowhere and something did go wrong, I would hate to not know the first thing about how the electrics are supposed to function.

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-04 1:17 PMThanks to everyone for all the advice (so far ...).There does seem to be quite a lot of information available, and I'm (slowly) beginning to gain some sore of understanding of what seems to be in principle quite straightforward, but in practice rather messy. And from what people have said, tracing the wiring does seem to pose a significant problem.I have a Chausson 04 on order, so I can't poke around to look at things and, as I said, I don't think I would want to tackle any of these installations myself - but on the other hand I don't want to appear a complete ignoramus when discussing the wiring with potential installers.I take Derek's point about dealer installation & costs - and that's still an option (and his correction of MPPT ...) - but building up a little knowledge won't be a bad thing. So when we're out in the wilds of nowhere and something did go wrong, I would hate to not know the first thing about how the electrics are supposed to function.

Hi ,I fully agree with you on the fact that if you  understand how something works, it is easier to fix it if it goes wrong. I have just changed from a  Hymer to a Chausson Allegro and am busy customising it  for our use, I have fitted extra mains sockets, 12 volt sockets, door locks ,lights and LEDs and am in the process of fitting refillable Gas Bottles  .One thing I have found good about the Chausson is that there are lots of access panels to all the wiring and underfloor spaces to access cables etc, pulling cables is always difficult especially if you want to hide them, but as I say it was relatively easy on the Chausson but a bit back breaking, I must be getting old as the aches last longer than they used to.

Archived