Power tools

hymer1942

Look at the battery charging unit Barrie and if it states suitable for 230v a/c 50 hz yes you can in the UK and if they don't ask the seller.

Alternatively you can get a transformer to drop from 230v ac 50hz for the UK to110 v ac 60hz for the US although I don't know enough to be able to advise on 50 or 60 hertz or whether it would matter for your purpose?

Possibly a UK style electric razor socket might suffice - but I don't know.

Does the supplier have any words of wisdom or an adapter for UK operation?

What do Americans bring over here to enable them to use their own 110 v devices?

Other things to think about:

1. Will you be charged import duty on it when you come back to the UK?

2. What happens if it goes kaput?

3. Have you got sufficient baggage allowance spare to bring it home without having to pay a supplement?

Guest JudgeMental

ever since a cargo of lithium batteries blew side out of an american cargo plane (it landed OK) certain batteries need special shipment :-S

I have bought stuff from USA before and just bought cheap 230v/110v inverter from ebay...

Mel B - 2012-11-06 5:35 PM

peter - 2012-11-06 5:33 PM

And what about vat when you bring it into the u/k?.

Ha! Too slow Peter ... I beat you to it!!!!! You should've known I'd be on here quickly with a title of 'Power tools' !!!! :D

Ha Ha no you didn't sweetie. Import duty is totally different to VAT. :D

IN short don't do it. Years ago it was a lot cheaper to buy tools in the States and we did so.

They cost a packet to adapt with transformers and yes they didn't work too well because of the different Hz. US has got a dud system and it would be better to be robbed at home and have access to warranties.

All the above does not apply to air tools.

Archived