Grills are a complete waste of space?

whatsupdoc

Have you considered a Ramoska?

Only 470 watts and suitable for joints of meat, roast pots, grills, cakes etc.

Available from Lakeland

Another suggestion is a Double Skillet which MelB uses. It can be obtained at most shows. But you do have to practice with it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Colin and others. Grills are just fine if you have the right one / can use them. Smev don't make good ones in my experience. I personally much prefer the simplicity and can't be doing with the clutter of bulky cooking paraphernalia or anything that requires the national grid; worse still it's own generator. 

Camping after all...

Guest JudgeMental
Tony Jones - 2012-11-06 7:46 PM

I suppose it depends on what part cooking and/or eating plays in your holidays.

Personally, I quite enjoy cooking - ESPECIALLY when not in too much of a hurry (eg when on holiday!), so having a full cooker (pretty much domestic-size) was a definite selling point when we bought our van. It's great to know we can be just as adventurous in our cooking when we're away as we are at home - or even more so with more time and different ingredients.

BUT if you prefer to eat out a lot, or just aren't too bothered about food, then you'll probably want to use the space in the van for something else and keep any cooking simple.

Horses for (however many) courses!

I am very bothered about food! But when away I don't expect to eat the same food as at home. But our pursuit is camping not "homing"

Yes we have more time when away and spend ore time over meals...but also like to eat out, surely one of the major attractions of a holiday. but have never seen the need for an oven or a grill along with the majority of Europeans.....

Guest JudgeMental
Sent link of this thread to my mates Nigella and Nig Slater and the reply's where that a morbid reliance on ovens/grill/microwave indicates that that you lot cant cook...Dont shoot moi! I'm only the messenger! :D

Nothing morbid about it Eddie.

The OP put before the House the proposition "Grills are a waste of space?" implying the need fro a "yes or no" verdict.

But in the confines of a motorhome, eeverything TAKES UP space, and everyone makes compromises. What to one is a waste of space, to another is a high priority USE of space - and vice versa.

For instance, since I rarely use hookups, I regard anything that only works on mains electrictiy as a waste of space (which would of course include microwaves!). And for me, taking anything pet-related would be a waste of space, as we don't have a pet! For Mel it would be a very different story.

Which is why I finished my post with "horses for (however many) courses!"

Our present motorhome (Burstner) was ready fitted with a gas grill/oven....which is really good, and a lot smaller in space usage than the fullsize cookers usualyl found in Uk models,In otu previous motorhome(Rapido) we fitted a 1200w electric mini over (deLongi) which was really excellent,and had,from memory, 4 alternaitve functions, including a defrost setting. We also have the standard 3 gas ring hob, though rarely use all 3! The Rapido had 2, which was adequate.

For Toast,we have recentlypurchased a 'cool wall' toaster which is 800w, and cost all of £5 from Wilkinsons - and does the job far better (as well as being a lot smaller) as the one we use at home.

When able to live 'outdoors' (ie south of France in Summer!) we have an electric griddle/grill (Tefal) which is really excellent, having a hot plate, or one which drains fat away into a water tray, and which significantly reduces the splashing from fat, as well as giving more succulent cooking for meat. It is 1400w, so will just about work on most French EHC.......at least if you have more than 4 amp supply and turn everything else off.

But yes, horses for courses, is the obvious answer, and each to his/her own, esepcailly in terms of what you want the grill to do for you, and to a large extent what psace you haev available. There's no 'right' or 'wrong'answer!!!

Guest JudgeMental
Keithl - 2012-11-07 3:18 PM

Mel B - 2012-11-07 2:13 PM

If you only use an oven outside when on site, how about one of these which does much more ...

Pyromid Outdoor Cooking System

It wouldn't be one you're selling by any chance would it Mel?

I am sure Mel must be "BIG yellow storage" very best customer :-D

fairweather camper - 2012-11-07 2:21 PM

Am I reading the original post wrong or does the Guy just want to know of any oven or micro that will work with his inverter, as he dont use EHU much ?

Please free to correct me if I'm wrong *-) (lol) 8-) Which my hubby says is most of the time. >:-)

Well ... I really wanted as much info as possible - so thanks to everyone for all their helpful suggestions and advice.

I think I'm now more or less convinced that a grill is of little use to us (we can get toast via a Gelert Folding Toaster and bacon in a skillet pan!).

An electric oven would be too much of a drain on the battery, and gas ovens - even if we could get one to fit - do seem to have their detractors.

So a microwave it will be - not for defrosting or convenience meals - but for a variety of foods, eg. baked potatoes (and you have to balance speed & convenience against the oven variety) and rice (of which we eat a lot - and it's much faster and even better than cooking it on the hob!). And a m/w will happily run on a converter fed by solar panels - so no EHU ...

Finally (as we hope to spend most of our time in warm climes) the Cadac Safari Gas BBQ has excellent reviews on Amazon and looks to be an excellent piece of kit. Does anyone have hands-on experience of it?

Guest JudgeMental

Am I reading the original post wrong or does the Guy just want to know of any oven or micro that will work with his inverter, as he dont use EHU much ?

Please free to correct me if I'm wrong *-) (lol) 8-) Which my hubby says is most of the time. >:-)

LISTEN..If your going to get all sensible and that kinda ting....you can get on over on to motorhome facts! :D

Dave:

cadec safari a brilliant bit of kit, bought it last year when we downsized to panel van. use the wok, griddle, BBQ etc... does not burn food as defuser works very well

I had a very good large bbq and was sceptical, but it was highly recommended on here and its just the job

Cadec.JPG.92fe93138ab8ccda1de976cb1ad4fe65.JPG

Oh! Oh! Thank goodness! I just tried my new reading glasses. What a lucky escape! I originally thought this thread was called GIRLS are a complete waste of space, and SWMBO has given me verbatim response to post. Phew! I can tell safely her that it's GRILLS, I know she won't be interested in that....

How do you make holy water? Boil the hell out of it!

Guest JudgeMental
the crumblies - 2012-11-07 4:12 PM

Oh! Oh! Thank goodness! I just tried my new reading glasses. What a lucky escape! I originally thought this thread was called GIRLS are a complete waste of space, and SWMBO has given me verbatim response to post. Phew! I can tell safely her that it's GRILLS, I know she won't be interested in that....

How do you make holy water? Boil the hell out of it!

your not alone..I thought the same *-)

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-07 3:47 PM

Well ... I really wanted as much info as possible - so thanks to everyone for all their helpful suggestions and advice.

I think I'm now more or less convinced that a grill is of little use to us (we can get toast via a Gelert Folding Toaster and bacon in a skillet pan!).

An electric oven would be too much of a drain on the battery, and gas ovens - even if we could get one to fit - do seem to have their detractors.

So a microwave it will be - not for defrosting or convenience meals - but for a variety of foods, eg. baked potatoes (and you have to balance speed & convenience against the oven variety) and rice (of which we eat a lot - and it's much faster and even better than cooking it on the hob!). And a m/w will happily run on a converter fed by solar panels - so no EHU ...

Finally (as we hope to spend most of our time in warm climes) the Cadac Safari Gas BBQ has excellent reviews on Amazon and looks to be an excellent piece of kit. Does anyone have hands-on experience of it?

Yes we use ours a great deal. Being poor/lazy pensioners we tend to cook two meals at a time. Eat one hot and have the second cold the next day or simply heat it up in the microwave.

We tend only to use the griddle plate rather than the BBQ function. That lazy pensioner syndrum again simply because cleaning the griddle is much easier. We don't even take the BBQ bits with us.

If you do particularly want to principly use a gas BBQ then the small Webber is a better bet.

JudgeMental - 2012-11-07 3:23 PM

Keithl - 2012-11-07 3:18 PM

Mel B - 2012-11-07 2:13 PM

If you only use an oven outside when on site, how about one of these which does much more ...

Pyromid Outdoor Cooking System

It wouldn't be one you're selling by any chance would it Mel?

I am sure Mel must be "BIG yellow storage" very best customer :-D

Eh ???? :-S

Guest JudgeMental
translation: storage company where you can rent all sizes of containers to store your stuff? you seem to be always be buying something so kinda assumed that you would need storage....(it was not serious sweetie pops)

JudgeMental - 2012-11-07 8:34 PM

translation: storage company where you can rent all sizes of containers to store your stuff? you seem to be always be buying something so kinda assumed that you would need storage....(it was not serious sweetie pops)

Oh, I see! :D

Don't need a storage facility - we've got 2 large single garages and a 24ft workshop and hubby uses one of the garages (which has the scooters in too) and half of the workshop to store his stuff in ... no doubt when we sell the scooters he'll take over the space they occupy too!!! 8-) *-)

Colin Leake - 2012-11-07 6:53 PM

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-07 3:47 PM

Yes we use ours a great deal. Being poor/lazy pensioners we tend to cook two meals at a time. Eat one hot and have the second cold the next day or simply heat it up in the microwave.

We tend only to use the griddle plate rather than the BBQ function. That lazy pensioner syndrum again simply because cleaning the griddle is much easier. We don't even take the BBQ bits with us.

If you do particularly want to principly use a gas BBQ then the small Webber is a better bet.

Of if you only use the griddle plate - why not get one of the below gas canister hobs and use a griddle pan which can then be used both inside and outside the motorhome? That's what I've got for when we don't want to take the larger BBQ with us (that also runs off gas canisters).

http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-Portable-Gas-Stove/000943121,default,pd.html

Oh, forgot to mention, what about a halogen oven?

I assume you've done this before, so know how large a battery bank you'll need?

Even that 900W oven would require 75A at 12V to drive it, plus a chunk more if inverter inefficiency is taken into account. One hour of cooking would require at least 150A of battery capacity to avoid damaging the batteries, and I don't think you can actually get 75A out of a 150Ah battery in one hour, because it is too high a discharge rate.

If you'll have gas on board, I'd prioritise that for cooking. Cooking with electricity when all you have for power is 12V batteries, via an inverter or not, is going to require major expenditure on charger, and battery, capacity. If on EHU then fine, but on 12V batteries?

Brian Kirby - 2012-11-07 11:42 PM

I assume you've done this before, so know how large a battery bank you'll need?

Even that 900W oven would require 75A at 12V to drive it, plus a chunk more if inverter inefficiency is taken into account. One hour of cooking would require at least 150A of battery capacity to avoid damaging the batteries, and I don't think you can actually get 75A out of a 150Ah battery in one hour, because it is too high a discharge rate.

If you'll have gas on board, I'd prioritise that for cooking. Cooking with electricity when all you have for power is 12V batteries, via an inverter or not, is going to require major expenditure on charger, and battery, capacity. If on EHU then fine, but on 12V batteries?

Hi Brian,

We're relative newcomers so I wanted to get as many views as possible before deciding which way to go. and I do take your point about an electric oven - which is why we've now discarded the idea.

When I posted this question I thought I'd be inundated with delicious grill recipes - but it seems that toast & bacon is about it!

Apart from the hob, the Cadac Safari gas BBQ would seem to be our preferred method of cooking (weather permitting), otherwise a skillet on the hob.

The proposed 500w microwave would be (slightly) less of a drain on the batteries (2x95Ah fed by 2x80w solar panels) - but when we did use it it would only be for 5-10 mins or so at a time.

I think my point here is that a m/w is much more useful than a grill - certainly for us!

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2012-11-07 10:27 PM

Must say I fancy JM Prawns and Garlic? Love Prawns!! Don't seem to get the great big ones in Uk, but always buy them in France

Good job I can't smell them

6.50 euro a kilo in Spain....17 euro in France and £18 upwards here *-) but its the freshness of Spanish produce that makes the real difference . Langoustine much nicer (not salty) and around same price

Microwave rated at 500w output will require significantly more power than that to run it. 500w is a relatively low output anyway and stuff will take a lot longer to prepare than your average domestic microwave.

I reckon you could be coursing around 60 amps or more at some points of the supply system - and that's assuming nothing else is turned on at the time.

Batteries do not take well to prolonged high rates of discharge (more than a few seconds).

It would work, but inefficiently, and at a cost to battery longevity.

It would be wise to run your engine whilst cooking, or have a colossal solar array, or just use a conventional grill.

Archived