x250 replacement?

spospe

I am planning to replace our present van (a Transit based Autosleeper Duetto) within the next year or two. It would be helpfull to me to know when the present Fiat / Peugot x250 model is due to be replaced and so I am asking; does anyone know?

The reason for asking is that I have been caught by a model change before and ended up having to wait nearly a year before the converters 'caught up' with the new base vehicle.

I have not researched the dates and I certainly am no expert, but from my dodgy old memory alone, the original Sevel van, the Talbot Express etc, had about a 12 year lifespan from about 1981 ish (I think) to about 1993 ish with a facelift type revision part way through and ongoing minor improvements along the way,.

It's successor, the Boxer etc then folowed a similar cycle and went 13 years or so from about 1993 ish to 2006 ish with minor facelifts and ongoing improvements etc., so on that basis and given the huge cost of developing a new model I doubt we will see an all new Ducato for at least six years and probably more? Unless someone knows different? Never say never!

The best of any model are always the last ones made which are generally well debugged when they cease production and speaking personally we were very happy with our 2006 Boxer while Fiat got the new one sorted!

Thinking back, I do seem to recall that the original Boxers had their own issues in the early days - although I can't remember what they were.

So although the current incarnation began life in 2006, if I heard they were bringing out a new model now I would make sure I got one of the last of the old ones - except they are now on Euro 5 with DPF etc and I don't want one of they ta very much until they get the issues sorted - such is my confidence in Fiat (not that any other maker is any better as far as I can tell) but as things are right now I wouldn't touch a 2012 model with DPF. ?

There is probably much info on t'web if you wanted to trace the history of the Sevel plant?

Rich

Thanks for that. I agree with you regarding the de-bugging process and getting a run-out model just before the new version comes out.

Sadly DPF seems yet another case of the development work being done by the customer, rather than the manufacturer.

In the absence of any firm dates, I am tending towards replacing our van towards the end of next year (in time for the 2014 season), unless anyone can persuade me otherwise (even though this will mean a Euro 5 vehicle with a DPF).

rupert123 - 2012-11-30 10:38 AM

Interesting post Rich but I would like to know what issues they need to get sorted, I have not heard any. All the reports I have heard are positive and good as the old x250 is the new one is better.

Sorry Henry - perhaps I worded it badly!

The current Ducato is pretty well sorted now I believe, with the exception of the DPF issues, but I see it from a purely interested amateur point of view, and I sit to be corrected by any one with expert knowledge knows different?

As I see it, the best years of the X250 to date are possibly from late 2009 to the last of the Euro 4 in 2011 (some not registered until 2012) - with reverse gear, water leaks, possibly early clutch issues all now sorted - and no DPF.

Maybe in a couple of years the DPFs will be sorted too - who knows?

If Fiat pull out of Sevel we can only hope that Peugeot/Citroen do a joint venture with Toyota, Isuzu or Hyundai - but I won't hold my breath!!

But what do I know - it's just an opinion!!

Afternoon all,

The new ford transit on the longer wheelbase is due late next year and I have heard a rumour that the x250 is to be replaced 2014 or facelifted, but a rumour is ,just that. By the way tere is a new toyota hiace coming out next spring.

norm

The old grey cells have got a bit jumbled up recently, so:

1. Am I right in thinking that the X/250 (if that is the correct designation) refers to the Fiats/ Pugs etc. from 2007 on?

2. What was the older pre-2006 called?

3. A recent review in PMH comparing a 2007 old Boxer and 2007 new version, stated that the newer version would be a better buy because it was Euro 5. Surely not?

4. And finally, I take it that my old 2006 Pug would be classed as Euro 3?

Cheers.

Guest Peter James

First Ducato bodyshell was Project name: X2/12 Produced from 1981 to 1994 (Ducato 10 and 13) Maxi versions from 1986 to 1994 Restyed in 1990

Second Ducato bodyshell was Project name: X2/30 Produced from 1994 to 2002 then restyled as Project name: X2/44 Produced from 2002 to 2006

Third and current Ducato bodyshell is Project name: X2/50 Produced from 2006

Peter, thanks for that.

I told you my old grey cells were confused, *-) as I've just remembered my Pug is 2005 not 2006.

So, I've got an X2/44, which I take is Euro 3.

Glad that's sorted before I downloaded the X2/50 files you mentioned in your other post. :-)

Guest Peter James
nuevoboy - 2012-11-30 5:18 PM

Peter, thanks for that.

I told you my old grey cells were confused, *-) as I've just remembered my Pug is 2005 not 2006.

So, I've got an X2/44, which I take is Euro 3.

Glad that's sorted before I downloaded the X2/50 files you mentioned in your other post. :-)

You're welcome. I got that from the introduction pages to the Fiat X2/50 Training manual, but there are no further details for the X2/44. It might say on your Registration Document whether its Euro 3.

Citroen/Peugeot already co-operate with Ford for diesel engines. Perhaps LCV development could be shared. Pure speculation.

I look forward to test driving the new Ducsit or Trannyduc then!

I thought I read that Fiat Commercial is going to leave the joint venture with Peugeot and Citroen and develop their X250 replacement with Dodge?! If true I would prefer the devil I know.

Or maybe the new Fiat Dodgy has a ring to it!

DPF can be a problem especially with vehicles that are used for short journeys. Given the longer runs that motorhomes tend to do with the engine working relativly hard it should not be a significant problem. A few short journeys in the winter to keep things ticking over should also not be a problem. It would take many more such journeys than you are likely to make to clog the filter up. It's going to be another four or five years before we are due to change our motorhome but if we were due to change now I'd not be that worried.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2012-11-30 10:32 PM

I was under the impression that the new Ford Transit Mk 8 was due out very shortly ... or have I got that wrong? :D

early 2013 and is a nice looking van, will have to wait and see if as practical as the Fiat but it does look like it has potential, it looks a practical square build ( what sets the Fiat apart from most)

some keep going on about the DPF filter....for the hundredth time...its diesel town cars that are having the problems, because of short, stop start journeys. and why we choose a small petrol car for London *-) motorhome use entirely different and for the life of me I dont see the connection at all... 8-)

Mel B - 2012-11-30 10:32 PM

I was under the impression that the new Ford Transit Mk 8 was due out very shortly ... or have I got that wrong? :D

Mel

I have seen one in Evans Halshaw, Manchester two weeks ago. The van was a short wheelbase, low roof, front wheel drive model and had a distictly Renault van appearance from the front. From what I was told, the rest of the models will appear throughout 2013.

Keithl - 2012-12-01 9:14 PM

Mel,

You are not mistaken, Daniel wrote a short article here on OAL way back in March showing pictures of the all new Transit... Link.

Keith.

....as discussed at the time, this is a "midi" version very unlike the real Ford Transit, slated for next year, and looking like the photo in the link here:

http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/van-news-reviews/ford/transit-connect/new-ford-transit-to-arrive-in-2013/2ab0ce0a-5991-4361-b0a3-c59f9cd500e0

Archived