Off vehicle battery charging

Uffa

I have put my motor home in storage for the winter and have removed the batteries (leisure), as advised. I now need to charge them up to keep them topped up over the winter. I have been advised to do this every month or so. What type of charger should I be using for this? The batteries are 2 x Bosch L4018 110 Ahr.

Paul- - 2012-12-31 9:32 PM

keep you eye on aldi or lidl they have good multi stage chargers now & then

Sorry but don't bother, I had one and it boiled every battery I used it on.

I now have a CTEK and can only say it is brilliant. But go for an 8 stage which includes a battery recovery setting which will revive a sulphated battery.

I have also bought the cigar lighter plug attachment so I can charge the engine battery without lifting the bonnet as the cigar lighter in our Merc is permanently live.

All in all a very good investment.

Keith.

I'd also steer clear of a 'bargain basement' battery charger.

CTEK chargers have a good reputation. Unless you plan to spend a good deal of money on one of the more powerful CTEK products, you'll need to charge your two batteries separately. A CTEK MXS 5.0 looks like a good performance/price compromise (about £54 on-line) and able to handle a battery of up to 110Ah capacity.

There's charger review here:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/45010/ctek-mxs-50-battery-charger-review

Keithl - 2012-12-31 11:02 PM

I now have a CTEK and can only say it is brilliant. But go for an 8 stage which includes a battery recovery setting which will revive a sulphated battery.

I have also bought the cigar lighter plug attachment so I can charge the engine battery without lifting the bonnet as the cigar lighter in our Merc is permanently live.

Keith.

I've had the opposite experience, it was my posh £80 6 amp charger that cooked my battery, they wouldn't do anything as the battery charger was over 12 months old.

I bought both an Aldi and a Lidl charger as they are already low wattage and it would be difficult to cook my 110ah batteries, plus they have overload and short circuit protection and they are not afraid to offer a 3 year warranty. Plus they will revive a flat battery too

before dismissing them please check out their revues ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Paul- - 2013-01-01 11:15 AM

Keithl - 2012-12-31 11:02 PM

Keith.

I've had the opposite experience, it was my posh £80 6 amp charger that cooked my battery, they wouldn't do anything as the battery charger was over 12 months old.

I bought both an Aldi and a Lidl charger as they are already low wattage and it would be difficult to cook my 110ah batteries, plus they have overload and short circuit protection and they are not afraid to offer a 3 year warranty. Plus they will revive a flat battery too

before dismissing them please check out their revues ;-)

Where's their next show then............ :D

Thanks to all that responded. This is the first time I've posted on one of these forums but it won't be the last. CTEK unit on order and should be here tomorrow. Decided to go with the tried and tested CTEK unit but also appreciate the benefits of Aldi and Lidl, having had some good reliable bargains in the past.

Not only did I get an answer to my query but I also found out who copied the Bob Monkhouse joke book when it went missing:-D

Archived