re-registering a French motorhome

Harcourt3

Harcourt3 - 2013-01-07 3:25 PM

We have returned to living in the UK and have a French Chausson which needs to be re-registered. What do we need? What do we need to do?

Have you tried Googling " registering a foreign vehicle " ?

There I should think you will find a govt website with the info you need.

If you folow the example of some Brits over here you dont bother, the NPR cameras will not recognise you as having no MOT, RFL or valid insurance. The only down side is having a car load of Yobbos telling you to get back to your own country when you are driving through your home town :-)

Guest JudgeMental

use forum search function..lots of info on importing.

contact DVLA and request an import pack. you will have to replace headlights with UK dipping. fit a speedo decal that reads MPH. and move fog light to UK side or just fit an additional one. I presume you have a COC (certificate of conformity) ...anyway just call the DVLA

This will help while waiting for the post:-D

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_199220.pdf

Guest JudgeMental
Clive - 2013-01-07 4:51 PM

But WHY have you returned to living in the UK??

Yours inquisitively C.

Perhaps fed up with the french taxing British property owners into oblivion? :-S

lennyhb - 2013-01-07 4:22 PM

Info in this Link

I think the information in the document you and JudgeMental have provided a link to MAY BE out of date.

In an earlier forum thread the VCA Mutual Recognition Scheme was mentioned. The thread includes a link to the VCA "Motorhomes" application form:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Winter-Tyres-in-Germany/29134/

Guest JudgeMental

All that has changed is that the DVLA no longer inspect....i forget which ageny handle this but import pack will explain.

Tomag on here imported a new van from dealer i used last month from Germany and we corresponded about the process. Only problem he had was he had bought some RHD headlights and the new van had running lights, which I suspect all will have now...so he had to buy new from Fiat. But managed to return the unsuitable ones..

Just call DVLA

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

JudgeMental - 2013-01-07 6:27 PM

Clive - 2013-01-07 4:51 PM

But WHY have you returned to living in the UK??

Yours inquisitively C.

Perhaps fed up with the french taxing British property owners into oblivion? :-S

You probably read about second homes where the foreign owners now are expected to pay the same tax as a French owner. It doesn't apply to a main home so residents have no problem once they have paid the large tax when purchasing property.

Thanks for the clarification James. If ever we decide to sell I will become a resident for a while! I thought maybe the idea of increasing the taxes on the house (d'Habitation and Fonciere) once mooted by Sarcozy had been resurected. Panic !! (but would not have been surprised)

Guest JudgeMental

Just had a chat with Tomag and situation now is inspection is handled by VCA (phone number in import pack) it is all done by paperwork through post but there is now a £100 charge *-) (used to cost zilch :-S)

the Fiat dealer fills in the paperwork and you send it with receipt for parts and labour...

I have not a clue what happens if you do the work yourself and by stuff of ebay, as obviously you wont have the evidence required.....so all in all more expense!

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/other/vehicle-importing-mu.asp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

that is correct James re taxation, but many dont cut the umbilical cord and keep a property in UK so many will be hit by this......

JudgeMental - 2013-01-08 6:41 PM

I have not a clue what happens if you do the work yourself and by stuff of ebay, as obviously you wont have the evidence required.....so all in all more expense!

Judge,

It's quite easy but may cost!

After agreement with VCA you have to get "Garage evidence" that all required mods have been carried out. See near the bottom of the first page here... Link to direct.gov.

What this now means is that under most circumstances you can no longer DIY a mod to a kph only speedo as the mph markings have to be visible at night. So if your speedo is 'backlit' any added on markings are not visible and so not legal. I know first hand because we have just had to have a new speedo dial manufactured for a German spec car we have imported at work. With all the to'ing and fro'ing with VCA, etc it took us nearly 3 months to get registered so be warned!

Keith.

Keithl - 2013-01-08 7:18 PM

...What this now means is that under most circumstances you can no longer DIY a mod to a kph only speedo as the mph markings have to be visible at night. So if your speedo is 'backlit' any added on markings are not visible and so not legal. I know first hand because we have just had to have a new speedo dial manufactured for a German spec car we have imported at work. With all the to'ing and fro'ing with VCA, etc it took us nearly 3 months to get registered so be warned!

Keith.

In the 'winter tyres' forum thread I gave a link to above, whisturx explained that, to permit UK registration of his imported new LHD Fiat Ducato-based Frankia, a VOSA-approved Lockwood International replacement speedometer fascia would be fitted.

Difficulties may arise for elderly motorhomes where a VOSA-approved replacement speedometer fascia has never been produced, or when the instrument cluster is sealed, or when there's a major model change to a base-vehicle (eg. the forthcoming Transit Mk 8) and companies like Lockwood will have yet to produce a replacement fascia. But, for the time being, it should be possible to obtain a replacement speedometer fascia for recent LHD motorhome models and side-step the considerable cost of replacing the complete instrument cluster.

A significant extra expense for an imported LHD A-Class motorhome may arise if it proves necessary to replace the standard right-dipping headlamps. For example, I believe that the headlamp units now used on A-class Hymers are unique to that make. I'm not sure if these units allow modification of a LHD dipped-beam pattern to the UK RHD standard (as could be done with the earlier small round Hella headlamps). If not, then the cost of replacement headlamps could be very unpleasant.

Archived