Hymer A Class headlamps

Brian Kirby

In a 2009 thread http://tinyurl.com/adgza8g when referring to the small circular Hella E1-7415 light-units http://tinyurl.com/bk2v2xp that commonly used to be fitted to Hymer (and other makes of) A-Class motorhomes, I said this:

"I've been led to believe that these Hella light units are marketed in left-dipping or right-dipping format. There's actually no difference between the units, except that the lights are appropriately factory-adjusted before they are sold retail. I remember talking to a UK Rapido salesman about this years ago, when the A-Class 9-Series models were only available in LHD. He told me that, according to Rapido, to obtain left-dipping lights the original right-dipping units needed to be removed and be replaced with 'left-dippers' (at the customer's expense incidentally). He went on to say that it was, in fact, straightforward to convert a Hella right-dipper into a Hella left-dipper but, although he would be happy to tell me how to do the job myself if I bought a LHD Rapido, he wouldn't make the adjustment for me. (Not sure how much truth there was in this, but it sounds daft enough to be plausible!)"

Details of Hella caravan and motorhome lights are here http://tinyurl.com/bgh7nls

Regarding the 90mm projection modules, it will be noted that all of the units that include a low-beam capability are offered in 'right-hand traffic' or 'left-hand traffic' variants. Certain versions of the "Performance" and "Classic" units have a footnote that says

"Right-hand traffic variant can be switched from asymmetrical low beam to symmetrical light. Left-hand traffic variant can be switched from symmetrical to asymmetrical."

The LED projection module data do not include this footnote.

There's advice from Hella on low-beam pattern-switching here http://tinyurl.com/bkk9mho that indicates that the "Tourist Solution" masks the 'kick-up' part of an asymmetrical dipped-beam pattern to make it non-dazzling, but does not convert a right-hand traffic asymmetrical pattern into a left-hand traffic asymmetrical pattern.

The implication of this advice seems to be that the 'switchable' left-hand traffic and right-hand traffic modules are different - the former providing a to-the-left pattern and the latter a to-the-right pattern, with the "Tourist Solution' merely masking out the potentially dazzling portion of each module's respective pattern.

If this is correct, then (in principle) an imported LHD motorhome with Hella projector module lights suitable for right-hand traffic should have those modules replaced with left-hand traffic equivalents. Even if the original right-hand traffic modules incorporate the Tourist Solution, that won't provide the left-hand traffic asymmetric pattern that I understand is obligatory for UK-registration.

(It also raises the question as to whether the earlier Hella lights weren't also marketed in different left-hand/right-hand traffic versions, and that 'converting' those lights' beam pattern by moving the reflector just moved the pattern from asymmetric to symmetric.)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit that, looking at the beam patterns shown in the "caravan" brochure (of which I have several historical versions), the example assymetrical patterns look like they're set up for LHD (which rather implies that the standard LHD version has a specific assymetrical pattern).

I'm intrigued by the wording, "Right-hand traffic variant can be switched from asymmetrical low beam to symmetrical light. Left-hand traffic variant can be switched from symmetrical to asymmetrical." however, which has a rather subtle difference for the two versions. It almost implies that the standard provision for RH variants is asymmetric, and that for LH variants symmetric. (but maybe I am being semantically misled ;-) )

There have certainly been examples of LHD vehicles being manufactured with symmetrical dipped-beam lamps.

There's also the usual dichotomy in the registration and MOT regulations. I suspect you're correct that a LH light adjusted to give a symmetrical pattern would probably not pass UK registration regulations, but I also think it would be unlikely to fail an MOT test.

I interpreted Hella 'asymmetrical/symmetrical' advice as you did, but I wasn't confident the advice was correct.

About seven years ago I aked VOSA about the beam pattern that was legally required for UK-registered motor vehicles and was told that only UK-registered motorcycles could have a symmetrical dipped beam.

I think we can agree that, if one buys a new RHD vehicle in the UK (where we have 'left-hand traffic'), one should expect it to have headlamps that 'dip left' (I've yet to own/drive one that did otherwise). That conflicts with Hella's "Left-hand traffic variant..." advice.

It's been regularly claimed in the past (on internet forums and in the motoring press) that a symmetric dipped-beam pattern was the norm for vehicles marketed in countries with 'right-hand traffic', but I can't recall any proof being provided that this was so. The original factory-fitted headlamps of all LHD motorhomes that have been imported to the UK seem to have had an asymmetric to-the-right dipped-beam pattern. That casts doubt over Hella's "Right-hand traffic variant..." advice.

I'd guess that a Hella projector module designated for 'right-hand traffic' will produce an asymmetric to-the-right dipped-beam pattern, while a module designated for 'left-hand traffic' will produce an asymmetric to-the-left dipped-beam pattern. In both cases, if a module has the Tourist Solution option, that option will just cause a shield to obstruct that portion of the light-output that produces pattern-asymmetry.

I'm sure that a Hella 'right-hand traffic' projector module with its Tourist Solution option enabled would not result in a UK MOT-test failure. As far as UK-registration of a self-imported LHD motorhome with such lights is concerned, I' don't imagine I'd proactively seek VOSA's opinion about the lights' UK legality when the Tourist Solution is enabled. I'd just enable the Tourist Solution and tell myself that the lights were now fully legal. I've never had any problem with Doublethink... ;-)

Colin Leake - 2013-02-21 8:13 PM

All this along with potential windscreen and front body problems along with restricted engine access is the reason we always go for a low profile despite being tempted by a few A Class in the past.

Amen to that. Long live coachbuilts!

For information of anyone still pondering this, I spoke today to a very helpful man (thank you Robin :-)) who confirmed that there is a lever at the rear of the headlamps that alters the did from RH to LH and vice versa. He has done quite a few, including a 2013 Hymer Exsis he had just done, and advised it takes him less than a minute to do both. Mind, the same man said he could also fit a Lockwood speedo overlay in under 15 minutes, so I think he is a bit of a wizard!

Guest JudgeMental

Chap who changed my Lockwood speedo had the speedo unit out, then went and sat in his car for a few minutes to fit the overlay and was finished in approx 10 minutes......like the headlights once you have seen it done it really is a case of monkey see monkey do.

Be aware as DVLA aim is to close down most if not all offices they have farmed the inspection element out to a third party the VCA, and you now have to pay £100 for this dubious privilege

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_071776.pdf

Just because your man changed headlight direction of a 2013 hymer recently. You don't know the build date of that vehicle....just contact a hymer dealer and ask them for definitive and up to date info

Brian Kirby - 2013-02-22 12:09 AM

For information of anyone still pondering this, I spoke today to a very helpful man (thank you Robin :-)) who confirmed that there is a lever at the rear of the headlamps that alters the did from RH to LH and vice versa. He has done quite a few, including a 2013 Hymer Exsis he had just done, and advised it takes him less than a minute to do both. Mind, the same man said he could also fit a Lockwood speedo overlay in under 15 minutes, so I think he is a bit of a wizard!

I don't think there was much doubt that the Hella light-units fitted to current Hymer A-class motorhomes had a lever on the back of the projector-module component and that the lever allowed the low-beam pattern to be modified.

Studying the Hella projector-module 'stand alone' products is something of a red herring, as those units are not designed to be integrated into a more complex headlamp like the Hymer's.

I looked through the handbook for my Skoda car (that has Hella light-units with a projector-module as a component). This says:

"The low beam of your headlights is set asymmetrically. It illuminates the side of the road on which you are driving to a greater extent. If you drive abroad on the other side of the road, you will dazzle oncoming traffic...

Headlights with module are designed for driving in countries with traffic on the right or on the left. Have this done always at a Skoda Service Partner."

I can't find anything in my Skoda handbook on how to alter the headlights' low-beam pattern for driving abroad, so I assume I found out about the lever on the light-unit via the Skoda forum. Although I have experimented with how to 'switch' the pattern to confirm how easy it was to do (pretty easy), I've never driven the car outside the UK and I've never checked what effect moving the lever has on the beam pattern.

There's no doubt that, as the car was delivered to me, the low-beam pattern was appropriate for the UK's 'left-hand traffic', as the pattern is plainly leftwards asymmetrical with a left-side 'kick up'. What I don't know is whether moving the lever to its alternative position produces a rightwards asymmetrical pattern with a right-side 'kick up', or just converts the beam to a symmetrical non-dazzling pattern.

The Skoda handbook suggests that the headlamps for RHD and LHD models are identical, but there are 'arrow markings' on the headlamps that suggest otherwise. Hella's own advice on 'beam switching' (that I gave a link to earlier) discusses converting headlamps "...from asymmetrical to symmetrical illumination", but there is no suggestion that a leftwards asymmetrical pattern can be converted to a rightwards asymmetrical pattern (or vice versa).

If the Hella light-units fitted to current A-class Hymers are identical for RHD and LHD models, then it's reasonable to assume that (via the lever) it will be possible for the light-unit to produce either a leftwards asymmetrical low-beam pattern suitable for left-hand traffic UK motoring or a rightwards asymmetrical low-beam pattern suitable for right-hand traffic Continental motoring. If that's the case, then importing a LHD Hymer A-Class motorhome to the UK and registering it here will present no potential difficulties - move the lever and you'll have a fully UK-legal leftwards asymmetric low-beam pattern.

However, if the projector module of the light-unit of a LHD Hymer differs from that of a RHD Hymer, and moving the lever just produces a symmetrical pattern, importing an LHD Hymer A-Class motorhome to the UK and registering it may be more controversial if the UK requirement is for a leftwards assymmetrical low-beam pattern and the LHD motorhome's original lights can, at best, produce a symmetrical pattern.

The UK's Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations say:

"Every dipped-beam headlamp fitted to a vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986...shall be designed for a vehicle which is intended to be driven on the left-hand side of the road."

If a light-unit has been specifically designed to produce a rightwards asymmetrical low-beam pattern for right-hand traffic countries, but can only produce a symmetrical pattern as a 'tourist' alternative, I'm not sure if such a unit would meet UK regulatory requirements.

You might want to re-check what beam pattern is produced after your "helpful man" contact has moved the lever at the rear of the headlamps.

A follow-up on my Skoda car's lights...

I said earlier

"There's no doubt that, as the car was delivered to me, the low-beam pattern was appropriate for the UK's 'left-hand traffic', as the pattern is plainly leftwards asymmetrical with a left-side 'kick up'. What I don't know is whether moving the lever to its alternative position produces a rightwards asymmetrical pattern with a right-side 'kick up', or just converts the beam to a symmetrical non-dazzling pattern."

I've now confirmed that moving the projector module's lever merely results in the left-hand 'kick-up' part of the low-beam pattern being masked off. The rest of the pattern is unchange - no right-hand kick-up is created.

More details of the Hymer lever-moving procedure (including photos) are in this 2010 MHF thread:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopicp-872358.html#872358

Within that thread a "helpful chap" in the UK is reported as saying:

"There are different variants of the Hymer headlamp for Left hand dip and Right hand dip.

all have the tourist solution in the dip beam for foreign travel which creates a symmetrical dip.

the tourist solution can be done by a metal lever inside the dip beam housing

After removing the rubber cap the lever for the tourist solution, made of metal sheet, is located inside the dipped beam housing on the right side (seen from the back) near the reflector."

A 2012 MHF thread (link in earlier postings) mentions there being two levers in the Hymer light-unit, which raises the possibility that current Hymer lights may have left-hand and right-hand 'shields' that mask on one side and unmask on the opposite side according to which position the levers are in.

As it's visually obvious what happens when I move the lever on my Skoda's lights, it should be equally obvious what the effect is when the Hymer light-unit levers are moved.

And what I can add to Derek's post is that using the lever or computer setting to 'remove' the asymmetrical kick up to the left IS acceptable to VOSA or whoever it is that inspects an import for UK registration as that is exactly what we have just done at work with an imported LHD Audi.

The Audi has a setting through one of its many menus for 'Continental Touring Headlights' or something very similarly worded and all this does is removes the kick up and leaves a near flat beam pattern This was deemed acceptable by VOSA and we have not had to change the headlights.

The good news now is when we take the car abroad all we do is switch off the continental touring option and the full LHD pattern is re-instated.

Keith.

Keithl - 2013-02-22 5:28 PM

And what I can add to Derek's post is that using the lever or computer setting to 'remove' the asymmetrical kick up to the left IS acceptable to VOSA or whoever it is that inspects an import for UK registration as that is exactly what we have just done at work with an imported LHD Audi.

The Audi has a setting through one of its many menus for 'Continental Touring Headlights' or something very similarly worded and all this does is removes the kick up and leaves a near flat beam pattern This was deemed acceptable by VOSA and we have not had to change the headlights.

The good news now is when we take the car abroad all we do is switch off the continental touring option and the full LHD pattern is re-instated.

Keith.

Aa Keith advises, it is acceptable for UK-registration of a LHD imported vehicle if the vehicle's original lights' have an in-built capability to modify their 'right-hand traffic' asymmetrical low-beam pattern so that its rightwards 'kick-up' is removed.

This VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency) webpage covers importing

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/other/vehicle-importing-mu.asp

The application form relating to motorhomes is here http://tinyurl.com/ap8p75b

Section 1 of the form's 'Written Statement' deals with headlamp requirements. One of the four acceptable options is

"d) Original factory fitted flat-beam headlights (we can not accept a right dipping beam that is adjusted to flat-beam unless that is a standard feature of the vehicle. eg. done via operation of a lever)"

(When adjustment from right-dipping to flat-beam is a "standard feature" of the headlamps, evidence of this must be submitted.)

Revisiting Brian's original posting, it's now been confirmed (by Brian's "very helpful man") that the headlamps on current Hymer A-Class models can easily be adjusted via an in-built mechanism. It's also evident from the VCA form that a flat-beam pattern is acceptable for UK-registration (and would be acceptable for the UK MOT-test). Consequently, even if (as seems probable) adjusting the headlamps of a LHD Hymer A-Class does not convert the original rightwards asymmetrical low-beam pattern to a leftwards asymmetrical low-beam pattern, this won't impact adversely on UK-registration.

It might be interesting to learn whether the headlamps on RHD Hymer A-Class motorhomes have a UK-norm leftwards asymmetrical low-beam pattern that the lights' 'Tourist Solution' converts to flat-beam for driving outside the UK, or actually have the same 'right-hand traffic' lights as LHD models but with their Tourist Solution enabled to meet UK-registration requirements.

The majority of current A-Class designs have projector-module headlamps (probably Hella units). If all of these lights can be switched to a low-beam flat pattern, that will facilitate importing LHD versions to the UK.

This link to a USA website

http://www.rallylights.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=359

reveals that the (USA) asking-prices of the Hella halogen-bulb projector-module lamps are not catastrophically high, though the Xenon and LED units are another matter.

This link that also may be of interest to people considering motorhome importing:

http://hmrc.gov.uk/nova/

Derek Uzzell - 2013-02-23 9:24 AM

This link to a USA website

http://www.rallylights.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=359

reveals that the (USA) asking-prices of the Hella halogen-bulb projector-module lamps are not catastrophically high, though the Xenon and LED units are another matter.

.....as a tip, when I replaced the matching "High Beam and Position Light" on my previous A-Class, the local Hella dealer revealed there were two prices in force from Hella UK; one for single purchase, and one for "batch" purchase (I think it was in the order of 10 or 12 at once).

There was an eye-watering difference between the two in the unit price, but he was able by 'phone to persuade Hella to supply a single unit at the batch price, an action for which I (and my wallet) was extremely grateful.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-02-24 8:26 AM

This UK company advertises a range of Hella 90mm light units at prices that are not too eye-watering:

http://www.autoelectricalpartsuk.co.uk/products/Lighting/Headlamps_15

......about what I paid, Derek, and, looking at other suppliers on the web, a competitive price. (though the prices on the page you reference exclude VAT).

OK if the retailer has purchased in bulk, and is supplying from stock, but from memory, the single-unit order price via a retailer was nearly double what I eventually paid.

• 5 months later...

As a slightly belated update to this, I got, and fitted, a pair of the headlamp protectors as highlighted by Robin earlier in the string, at a price of £80 delivered. Not exactly cheap, but a lot cheaper than a new headlamp.

My only reservation with the units as delivered, was that they are held in place by nuts and screws that are set into clear "suckers". I didn't like the extent to which some of the screws projected in front of the protector, and thought the knurled plastic nuts might be a temptation for small fingers.

So, I modified the protectors with a set of mushroom head "suckers" inserted through enlarged fixing holes in the protectors. Much smoother externally, and neater in appearance. Not easy to get the mushroom heads through the larger holes, so I can see why the originals are as they are, but makes a better job overall, IMO.

• 3 years later...

My apologies for resurrecting this old post (and with deference to Colin and BGD's comments re coachbuilts) but, after a sudden, unexplained rush of blood to the brain we have purchased a 2015 Hymer B544 Premium Line which we took delivery of yesterday. To say we are delighted with it would be an understatement but disaster struck in the first couple of hours. We left the dealership in Great Yarmouth about 2pm and arrived at Fakenham Racecourse by 3.30. After pitching up I nearly fainted when I saw the offside headlight was shattered!

The one niggle in the back of my mind prior to buying was this very thing happening and stories from others about the high cost of replacements. I have used headlight protectors on both X250 and X290 vans before - mainly for continental touring though with beam masking permanently affixed. We have suffered three chipped windscreens coming back through France in previous years and this (last) year heard the usual crack but could see no evidence of a chip on the screen. Looks like we got away with it but at home found the stone had hit the Fiat badge and cracked that instead! But we have never used headlight protectors in the UK (apart from travelling to/from the tunnel) and never had a headlight broken. I considered my self just plain unlucky yesterday but having looked through this and other forums was interested to read about shattering glass headlights on Hymers - is this still going on? Or was I the victim of a stone chip?

As we are still nearby the dealer has sourced a replacement from Germany that should, hopefully, be with us next Tuesday but it will cost. In the meantime, the site warden loaned me her sellotape machine so the shattered pieces are now laminated with a layer of that.

So, the fact is, Hymer headlights (at least in this here model) are still glass not polycarbonate - although heaven knows why - and I would be interested in where I can obtain proper fitted protectors if they are available now. Or, is there a supplier of the product Lamin-X in the Uk and, if so, what thickness tape should I be getting?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

David

As was suggested to me when one of my Hymer headlights shattered try and see it Hymer will cover all or part of the cost. This did not work for me as the vehicle was 7 years. You may be lucky, yours being much newer. I contacted Travel world who asked for the light cluster serial number then contacted Hymer. Anyway I claimed from my vehicle insurance.

Barryrj - 2017-02-25 4:44 PM

As was suggested to me when one of my Hymer headlights shattered try and see it Hymer will cover all or part of the cost. This did not work for me as the vehicle was 7 years. You may be lucky, yours being much newer. I contacted Travel world who asked for the light cluster serial number then contacted Hymer. Anyway I claimed from my vehicle insurance.

Yes, thanks for that. I had it in mind to ask the dealership, when we go to have the new one fitted, to ask Hymer to cover all or part of the cost now that I have read about the glass shattering problem. Although it seems that particular issue was some years ago but it's worth asking. I have also emailed my insurer (Comfort) to see if it is covered under the glass cover.

David

The on-line version of the Comfort Motorhome Insurance Policy includes the following advice

"Glass

If you are only claiming for loss of or damage to the glass in your motor caravan’s windscreen, sunroof or windows, or for any scratching of the bodywork arising solely from the breakage of glass, the excesses shown above in this section will not apply. You will, however, have to pay the first £75 of the cost of glass replacement. This excess for glass:

- overrides any other general excess that would otherwise apply to glass claims.

- will not apply when the glass is repaired rather than replaced

Note the maximum payable in any one glass claim is £3,000”

Although it’s been suggested on UK motorhome forums that the vulnerable-to-damage/shatter-prone glass front of the Hella headlamp-units fitted to earlier Hymer A-class models was replaced by a polycarbonate equivalent, there’s no evidence of this having happened.

The headlamp-unit that Hymer has fitted more recently does have a plastic front-cover, but (as will be seen from the attached photo) this is a significantly different design with a ‘projector’ lamp.

Headlamp.jpg.c5400e1baa319546c3a4a82e06edf611.jpg

Yes Derek, I noticed at the dealership the new version looks as though it has only one lamp whereas mine has several for each function but I didn't get close enough to tell whether they were polycRbonate or glass. I can say, unequivocally, that mine are glass - the near side being a one piece glass front the newly modified offside having millions of tiny pieces!

My honest opinion is that it was a stone chip or, as I did pass a flail hedge trimmer on one of the roads, a flying offcut of hedge - which can be like bullets. It just seems so unlucky to have it happen to the very first A Class we have had in the very first hour of taking delivery and I'm getting the sense that it is not that frequent an occurrence generally.

The use of this polycarbonate film - Lamin-X - looks a promising alternative to trying to make polycarbonate covers (with my limited technical ability) but although it seems to be used widely in motor rallying to protect headlamps is there anyone who has actual experience of using it, applying it and can say whether it would protect against a high velocity stone?

David

I applied LaminX to our Hymer headlights shortly after taking delivery in 2012, 40,000 miles and 2 windscreens later, the headlights remain fine, LaminX was easy to cut and fit, I also used a thinner film on the mirror backs which seems to have protected them well from the odd brush with hedges.

According to this Hella document

https://www.hella.com/caravan/assets/media/Caravan_Salon_ProductOverview_DE_EN.pdf

festures of the “Hymer headlamp 2016” (photo on Page 3) are

- Low-beam and high-beam in Bi-Halogen or Bi-LED

- Daytime running, direction indicator and position light based on LED coupling

in customer-specific light guide

- Designed as a customer-specific plastic cover lens

I’ve no practical expeience of the “Lamin-X” product, but it is apparently available in the UK from here

http://www.funkmotorsport.com/lamin-x

As it’s (relatively) thick

http://www.lamin-x.com/Product-FAQs-s/1669.htm

it should provide reasonable protection against stone-chipping, though not as much as a ‘traditional’ separate plastic protector.

hagrid - 2017-02-26 11:48 AM

I applied LaminX to our Hymer headlights shortly after taking delivery in 2012, 40,000 miles and 2 windscreens later, the headlights remain fine, LaminX was easy to cut and fit, I also used a thinner film on the mirror backs which seems to have protected them well from the odd brush with hedges.

Great information hagrid thank you. Can you tell me what thickness Lamin-X you used on the headlights and on the mirror backs (I assume they are the bus type?) and also if you acquired the film from the company Derek highlights - funk motorsport - which I have also found online, I am slightly confused by the American website which quotes the film in various thicknesses such as 8 mil, 12 mil, 20 mil and 40 mil. If this measurement is in millimetres then it is VERY thick as 40 millimetres would be about 1.5 inches! But, if it is an alternative to say thousands of an inch (which I am quite familiar with) then the thickest - 40 mil - would be equivalent to 1 mm. 12 mil would be equivalent to just over 0.25 mm.

I must say, from reading letters in magazines and posts on forums I anticipated losing a windscreen rather than a headlight.

Derek, thanks for the information. This gives me the answer to one of the above questions - the mil measurement is equivalent to thousands of an inch so, I am guessing that hagrid used 12 mil on the headlights and 8 mil on the mirror backs but hopefully this can be confirmed.

David

david lloyd - 2017-02-26 6:33 PM

I am slightly confused by the American website which quotes the film in various thicknesses such as 8 mil, 12 mil, 20 mil and 40 mil. If this measurement is in millimetres then it is VERY thick as 40 millimetres would be about 1.5 inches! But, if it is an alternative to say thousands of an inch (which I am quite familiar with) then the thickest - 40 mil - would be equivalent to 1 mm. 12 mil would be equivalent to just over 0.25 mm.

David

Quote "A mil is a thousandth of an inch — .001 inch."

So your latter assumptions are correct as you get 40 thou (or mil) to a mm.

Keith.

Archived