Servicing costs

Mickydripin

Dave Newell - 2013-03-07 10:06 PM

Can I just correct an oft repeated misunderstanding, to maintain a manufacturers warranty (base vehicle) a service needs to be carried out in accordance with the manufacturers time/mileage requirements by a VAT registered garage and using OEM quality parts. That is to say the parts used do not have to be Fiat, Ford, Peugeot, Mazda or any other motor manufacturers branded parts but parts from a known and reputable supplier to the same quality standard as those of the manufacturer.

D.

Dave is totally correct; it does NOT have to be a " main dealer" who does the service, and it does not have to be OEM parts, so long as the parts used are of similar spec/quality. Any good garage/technician can carry out such servicing work.

The only thing I would add is that in my understanding, it legally doesn't even have to be a "proper" garage mechanic who does the work.

The only test applied in English law when the old restrictive servicing contracts of the vehicle manufacturers was finally shown in the UK to be illegal was whether or not the person/persons carrying out such servicing were "competent to do so".

It would be for a court to decide what "competent to do so" meant.

In case of dispute, in law it would be for the manufacturer to demonstrate, on balance of probabilities, that the person who did such work was NOT competent to do so, NOT for the appellant to demonstrate that s/he was.

A practised and experienced DIY mechanic should, by any stretch of civil law "reasonableness" be regarded legally as "competent" to do basic mechanical maintenance, such as oil and filter changes, lubrication and simple adjustment/wear checks etc.

I have many times over the years retrieved a vehicle from a "main dealer" after a "service"; and then had to correct numerous things that the junior chimpanzee YTS trainee did wrong/did not do, whilst I was trusting them to service it in accordance with the manufacturers spec.

I have for many years now done all my own servicing, to the exact specs published by the vehicle manufacturer; keeping receipts and records to show exactly what was done, with which parts, and when. If I do it, I know that it has been done right. And I'd be happy to go to court to show that in the event of the original manufacturer suggesting otherwise

I totally agree with Dave and others on the price of oil.

I use Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W40 in our Merc as it meets the requirements in the handbook and it currently retails in Halfords at £40.99 for 4 litres. Link to Halfords

As our Merc takes 8.5 litres (with a filter change) this would cost me over £87 in oil alone. However I did buy this years when Halfords had it on offer at £32 for 4 litres so a reasonable saving.

I would never dream of trying to save a few pounds when an engine which would cost thousands to replace was at risk. Equally I always use genuine Merc filters rather than try to save a few coppers.

Keith.

Just found this on a 'Google search':

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Which-Selenia-Oil-for-Fiat-Ducato-Multijet/29454/

and also this website:

http://www.flitalia.it/en/fl/content/view/162/258

It appears that in order to replace the engine oil (including filter) the garage would have to purchase 6 litres (either 6 x 1L or 1 x 5L & 1 x 1L), at a cost of around £70 max, obviously I would expect Fiat to pay less than this, so saying it would cost £100 for the oil is about a 1/3 more than it should be.

Mel B - 2013-03-09 11:02 PM

Just found this on a 'Google search':

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Which-Selenia-Oil-for-Fiat-Ducato-Multijet/29454/

and also this website:

http://www.flitalia.it/en/fl/content/view/162/258

It appears that in order to replace the engine oil (including filter) the garage would have to purchase 6 litres (either 6 x 1L or 1 x 5L & 1 x 1L), at a cost of around £70 max, obviously I would expect Fiat to pay less than this, so saying it would cost £100 for the oil is about a 1/3 more than it should be.

Last year I was charged £42.50 for 5l & £17.80 for 2l of Selenia WR 5W/40 with VAT this came to £72.36 then there's disposal charge, filter and gasket, grand total for oil and parts was £96.12 inc. VAT.

I very much doubt that large national (and multi-national) garages or vehicle manufacturers buy oil by the litre.

BT also services the fleet vehicles for National Grid, Thames Water, EDF, UK Power Networks and E.ON as well as The AA, G4S and National Grid. All of these companies use the tried and tested combination of transits and ducatos. BT will purchase oil in bulk at a fraction of the cost you will pay in Halfords.

Brownhills charged us £435 for a Fiat Service. Needless to say that we wont be going back this year to be charged that price.

We are going to give our local Bus Garage a go this year, but not sure that they will turn off the 'spanner' notification but we will find out.

BGD - 2013-03-09 9:38 PM

Dave Newell - 2013-03-07 10:06 PM

Can I just correct an oft repeated misunderstanding, to maintain a manufacturers warranty (base vehicle) a service needs to be carried out in accordance with the manufacturers time/mileage requirements by a VAT registered garage and using OEM quality parts. That is to say the parts used do not have to be Fiat, Ford, Peugeot, Mazda or any other motor manufacturers branded parts but parts from a known and reputable supplier to the same quality standard as those of the manufacturer.

D.

Dave is totally correct; it does NOT have to be a " main dealer" who does the service, and it does not have to be OEM parts, so long as the parts used are of similar spec/quality. Any good garage/technician can carry out such servicing work.

The only thing I would add is that in my understanding, it legally doesn't even have to be a "proper" garage mechanic who does the work.

The only test applied in English law when the old restrictive servicing contracts of the vehicle manufacturers was finally shown in the UK to be illegal was whether or not the person/persons carrying out such servicing were "competent to do so".

It would be for a court to decide what "competent to do so" meant.

In case of dispute, in law it would be for the manufacturer to demonstrate, on balance of probabilities, that the person who did such work was NOT competent to do so, NOT for the appellant to demonstrate that s/he was.....................................

I would urge some caution with this. I do not dispute the thrust of the argument Bruce is putting forward, but vehicle warranties generally last three years max, so only two services are likely to be involved in order to maintain the warranty beyond doubt.

It is the concept of seeking to challenge a warranty through the courts that troubles me. Under English law, as I understand it, warranties are non-contractual offers, or promises, by the manufacturer to carry out work that the warrantor decides is necessary, to the extent he considers necessary. No more, no less. If the manufacturer rejects a warranty claim as invalid, suing, or seeking to sue, is unlikely to resolve your dispute, and IMO would be likely to make matters worse, whereas seeking to negotiate might succeed. One has to remember that multi-national vehicle manufacturers have, relative to any buyer, unlimited resources. You are David, he is Goliath, you've forgotten your slingshot - and in any case there aren't an pebbles around! :-)

There is no contract between you, the buyer, and the warrantor, so suing in court for breach, or similar, would, as I understand it, prove difficult, and potentially a great deal more expensive than the cost of a couple of services in even the most expensive main dealer.

I have recently seen a Citroen warranty that appears to be drafted as a contract, but I do not understand how the contract between warrantor and end user would be formed. I should be grateful if someone with a better understanding than mine of contract law could clarify that point, as it seems potentially interesting. Under Scottish law, I believe the situation (as often seems the case!) is more clear cut and that warranty might be enforceable under a concept of breach of promise.

However, these are highly theoretical legalistic points, and I doubt for most of us relevant to getting our vans serviced while within warranty. By all means use an independent, but as Dave advises, make absolutely sure they use only parts (unlikely to be more than oils, drain plugs and filters) that match absolutely the manufacturer's specification, and make sure that compliance is stated in writing, preferably on the sales invoice.

If you just want relative peace of mind, for the extra cost of two services, just grit your teeth and go to a franchised main dealer until the warranty has expired, and maybe get him to do the first MoT as well. That way, if a disputed claim arose as the result of an error by the dealer, you should be on stronger ground - because the manufacturer appointed him - than would be the case if an independent had made the same mistake!

Archived