Motorhome Anti theft device

KPBH

I have a removable steering wheel. Difficult therefore to steal the van, though it can be broken in to. Keep the steering wheel hidden in the house, or hidden in the van when on tour.

We also have a VanBitz strikeback alarm, which works well when I forget to disarm it & open the door or garage door :$

A ex-Ducato owner I know told me that after having his M/H pinched off his drive, that as well a pedal lock bar, a steering wheel lock, alarm and a drive post for the replacement M/H, he also removed fuse ?? as well. Without this fuse in place the engine can't be started.

(I will send you a PM with the fuse number if interested).

Prior to the theft his lockable Fiat fuel flap was stolen and he reckons a key was made from it, it's the same as the door and ignition..

B-)

lancepar - 2013-03-14 6:16 PM

A ex-Ducato owner I know told me that after having his M/H pinched off his drive, that as well a pedal lock bar, a steering wheel lock, alarm and a drive post for the replacement M/H, he also removed fuse ?? as well. Without this fuse in place the engine can't be started.

(I will send you a PM with the fuse number if interested).

Prior to the theft his lockable Fiat fuel flap was stolen and he reckons a key was made from it, it's the same as the door and ignition..

B-)

That is the problem when doors,ignition and filler are all suited to the same key,easiest thing is to replace the filler as soon as vehicle comes into your ownership. This happened 15 years ago when the barrel on my cars filler was smashed and taken,the garage put me on to the scam.

So locks were changed, It was inconvenient as I had to carry separate keys for filler,ignition and doors,but not as convenient as losing the vehicle.

Hi Keithl, thanks for the response appreciate that. I've already been on to Marcle and they are not able to help unfortunately. My M/H does not have an airbag so I am ok on that point, worth mentioning though, thanks.

Spadge - 2013-03-21 1:20 PM

Having trawled 'ebay' etc and the various equipment suppliers with no joy, anyone know where I can purchase a removeable steering wheel for an Iveco Ford based Mobilvetta ? Thanks in anticipation.

I don't know if they can help, but try this lot - Supply of Momo steering wheels

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/STEERING-WHEELS-Momo/c92_2310/index.html?gclid=CPCgnLqqjrYCFc3HtAodXlEAFQ

Mine is a Tazio which was already fitted when I bought my van (- a 2004/5 Ducato 2.8JTD), but they only seem to be fitted now by Marcle.

Hi KPBH, I have a wireless alarm system bought off EBay. Mine was quite cheap but a search of EBay will turn up much better ones. I have the alarm box fitted in my porch, and at this time a remote infra red sensor covering the drivers, passengers & the habitation doors. The system came with two remote infrared sensors & six door magnet sensors, & two remote controllers. I keep one controller in the bedroom and the other downstairs. The alarm is loud enough to wake us up but not the whole street. The flashing red lights on the alarm box can be seen from outside of the house. The wireless range is about 30ft and works fine on my drive. Hope this helps. "A"

• 3 weeks later...
I once read on a forum of one guy who had a drivers seat that swivelled around , so he kept it in the reverse position , facing habitation when stood on drive , had drilled a small hole in bottom and padlocked it so seat couldn't be spun around into drive position , (I thought it was a pretty good idea)

Pampam - 2013-04-11 8:10 AM

I once read on a forum of one guy who had a drivers seat that swivelled around , so he kept it in the reverse position , facing habitation when stood on drive , had drilled a small hole in bottom and padlocked it so seat couldn't be spun around into drive position , (I thought it was a pretty good idea)

Pam,

MMM featured an article about a year ago with the infamous Dick Strawbridge where he was challenged to produce a MH security device and his answer was exactly that, a padlock through the seat swivel.

Here is a link to the online article and a video... Link

keith.

Considering how quickly bike thieves deal with these locks I doubt it is worth the effort. The person across the road from me bought a new BMW motorbike which was duly stolen from his drive. He learnt from this and had a steel post installed so that he could chain the bike to this. The thieves then pinched his new bike by cutting through the post. He gave up.

Keithl - 2013-04-11 10:50 AM

Pampam - 2013-04-11 8:10 AM

Pam,

MMM featured an article about a year ago with the infamous Dick Strawbridge where he was challenged to produce a MH security device and his answer was exactly that, a padlock through the seat swivel.

Here is a link to the online article and a video... Link

keith.

Fitted something similar but didn't fancy drilling so used the existing seat/swivel fixing bolts ...put a screwed eye bolt in the seat fixing and a drilled plate in the base. So if you swivel the seat to the habitation area you can padlock it so it cant be turned for driving. I know its only bolted but this is the third line of defence 1st Renault Chipped key ..2nd Steering Wheel Lock ..3rd Swivel seat lock these can only be a deterrent if they really want your van then they will probably have it towed or something.

IMGP0621.JPG.0c1b584d65c8e4b124bad7a0a2318eaf.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The theft of motorhomes and caravans is one of the biggest problems for their owners. Generally, most of the manufacturers do not install any security device on motorhomes/caravans therefore these are easy to theft. We may use some below given unique and comprehensive anti theft devices designed by Fiamma to protect motorhomes.

* Fiamma Safe Door Security Device

* Fiamma Safe Door Frame

* Fiamma Spacer Kit Safe Door

Archived