cab area lighting

silverback

hello everyone

i am wanting to put some lighting into the cab area,because when on site the cab/curtesy light does not come on to illuminate things

so as i am nearly brain dead when it comes to electrics i thought some of you would give advice

i was thinking of putting 2 LED strip lights above the passenger and drivers seats where it meets the windscreen/blinds, i would wire them to each other then wire to a 12v supply in the cab area would i need 12v drivers for these lights to work?

if i were to wire them to a 12v circuit in the living area it would involve alot of wire and maybe drilling and i dont want to cock up :-S and the wife would kill me if there are holes evrywhere 8-)

jonathan

Jonathan,

If you do not want to mess with wiring then why not get battery powered LED strip lights and fix in place. Something like this just as an example... Link.

I use a similar one in our underbed locker as there is no power anywhere near.

Keith.

I had the same problem and what you want to do is exactly what I did.

However you need a fair bit of DIY confidence also need to be able to solder.

The led strips can be cut to length you then have to solder wires to them. I was able to run a cable from one side of the cab to the other buy tucking it under the headlining trim. To mount the switches I had to unscrew the trim panels behind the cab doors and cut holes for the switches. I had a convenient fused power source in a bedbox close buy (where I had fitted an additional power outlet). I still had to take the bedbox out to drill holes for the cables.

They are much brighter than they look in the photo to get a clear photo I had the lights on and used flash on the camera, without flash it was over exposed.

1460235797_Readinglight-001.jpg.8308cb5c3e27303ebb2def8bdc8c8f3f.jpg

Dont' mean to appear either thick or condescending but doesn't a 2012 Autotrail Mohawk have any habitation cab illumination? I dont mean the Fiat Cab light.

Almost all vans I have looked at lately have some sort of reading light (usually LED these days) on each side of the cab.

As I say, sorry if you dont have these or find them inadequate.

silverback - 2013-03-19 4:24 PM

hmmm interesting tony, do they give out a fair bit of light? wanting brighter than the cab light

jon

Reading between the lines of what you have written so far. ! I think they would not be bright enough for you.

We use ours to find the light switches !, so that says it all really !

Mind you if you look too long at the Leds, you do end up with spoys in your eyes.

Rgds

• 1 month later...
Guest JudgeMental
Haven't seen one of those steering lock thingys for years........why do you need it on when van occupied I wonder :-D

To answer dave and hughman, thanks i think they look pretty good :-D i took the 12v feed by joing the 2 wires together running it behind the top of the blind to the right, down the pillar to the fuse box bottom right under the steering wheel where the alarm is wired and took the 12v feed off the alarm B-)

LOL (lol) to you other reprobates with no class (lol) the steering wheel clamp is there cos when ive had a few bevvies as bruce pointed out im fast asleep and i dont fancy em driving off with me and the missus in the back bed! :-D it could be messy :-D

jon

Archived