Renault Master Tyre Pressures

spartan3956

spartan3956 - 2013-03-14 6:44 PM

Hi

I have a Renault master 2012 with a Bentley Donnington body i dont know the tyre pressures and cannot as you know find out as they have gone bust.

Any one help or should i guess around 60 psi

Pete

I'm a bit surprised that a 2012 Bentley on a Renault has neither Renault nor Bentley handbooks. If it has, the recommended pressures should be stated.

In the meantime, it doesn't matter what the van, or base vehicle, make is. All you need is the details from the VIN plate of the Renault which will give you the maximum permissible loads for front and rear axles. Then, make a note of the make and type of tyres fitted, and also their size, aspect ratio, and speed and load ratings. Then, phone the technical department of the tyre manufacturer and give then the front and rear loadings, plus all the tyre data, and they will be able to tell you what pressures to use. However, I would expect these to be quite a bit higher than 60psi.

If you want to refine these further you need to fully load your van, including all passengers etc, and visit a weighbridge. First check that the van is not overloaded, and then check the actual load on each axle. If you then consult the tyre manufacturer as above for his recommended pressures for the actual loads, you should get lower pressures than the above, and may also find the ride improves. However, before doing this do make sure the van is at its maximum running weight as you would use it. If pressures are set for load and the load is subsequently increased, the tyres would be under-inflated, which can cause overheating and, ultimately, blow-out. Nasty! :-)

spartan3956 - 2013-03-14 6:44 PM

Hi

I have a Renault master 2012 with a Bentley Donnington body i dont know the tyre pressures and cannot as you know find out as they have gone bust.

Any one help or should i guess around 60 psi

Pete

Hi Pete,

Email the tyre manufacturer's tech dept and tell them the front and rear axle loads in use, and ask for advice.

I emailed Continental and they gave me good advice, which has made a noticeable improvement in ride harshness, and helped on speed humps,

regards

alan b

Or in the short term download the 'TyreSafe' MH guide Link then look up your tyre size and axle loads and this will give a very good starting point. Note there are separate tables for C and CP tyres.

For info these figures are exactly what I run our tyres at for max axle loadings.

Keith.

poffel - 2013-03-16 1:43 PM

Hi Pete

I also have a Bentley Donington (2011)and in the AL-KO chassis handbook for gross kg 3850 is as follows

front 4.5 rear 5.0 and that is the pressures I use

hope this helps.

Pat

What type/size/make of tyre is fitted to your Donington. please?

I can find an AL-KO chassis handbook on-line that includes recommended tyre pressures, but the data seem to relate to Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot X250 vehicles and the tyre types/sizes normally fitted to them.

Other than being aware that a Donington would have 16" wheels, I don't know whether the tyres were 'camping-car' type or ordinary 'white van' type. If the former, then a pressure of 5.0bar (72.5psi) would not be unusual: if the latter, then (unless the tyre were 10-ply-rated) 5.0bar is likely to be close to (or beyond) the tyre's design maximum pressure.

Checking the tyres on the unit which are continental 225/65Rx16 CP

6ply max allowed inflation 5.5 bar

it does state on the side wall if fitted to motor caravan the pressure can be increased

so 4.5 and 5 bar is well within the tyres working pressure

Many thanks Pat for your information.

Pete

spartan3956 - 2013-03-17 1:41 PM

Checking the tyres on the unit which are continental 225/65Rx16 CP

6ply max allowed inflation 5.5 bar...

A small point, but relevant.

'Ply-rating' and the number of plies in a tyre's construction are not the same thing. Ply-rating is a historical system (that goes back to cross-ply tyres days) allowing a rough indication of a tyre's load-carrying capability. For radial tyres, the number of plies used in a tyre's construction has no direct link to its ply-rating. For example, a tyre with a ply-rating of "8" (8PR) may, or may not, have 8 plies in its construction.

I'm guessing you've added up the plies shown in the construction data shown on the sidewall of your "VancoCamper" tyres and arrived at "6". In fact, your particular tyres are 8PR (8 ply-rated). As will be evident from here http://tinyurl.com/d236fxx all VancoCamper tyres are 8PR except for the 215/75 R16C size that is 10PR.

The 112 Load Index of a VancoCamper 225/65 R16CP tyre equates to a maximum design axle-loading of 2240kg. I don't know what the rear-axle maximum permissible weight shown on a Donington's data-plate will be (2200kg?), but it's quite possible that 5.0bar pressure will be needed for the rear tyres given the size of the motorhome. If you choose to do as has been suggested earlier and weigh your motorhome to establish its actual axle-loadings, (as snowie says) Continental are usually very helpful in providing advice.

Peter

The fact that your tyres are 8-ply rated (8PR) and the construction includes a totalof eight 'plies' is coincidental.

A brief explanation of "ply rating" is given here.

http://www.tyresavings.com/articles/safe-driving/checking-your-tyres/ply-rating-explained

For a VancoCamper 225/65 R16CP 112R tyre, its 8PR factor is largely academic. It's the "112R" data that are important, with the "112" Load Index indicating 1120kg and the "R" Speed Symbol indicating 170km/h. (That a "112" Load Index happens to equate to 1120kg is also coincidence - for example, a Load Index of "116" equates to 1250kg.)

Archived