and the kitchen sink...

rp272

I have a 2008 AutoTrail Delaware with a round kitchen sink. It is normally covered by a section of sliding work top when not in use. However the 'rubber' seal around the bowl has become damaged and I need a replacement.

I contacted AutoTrail because the part is not listed on their spares website and received the following reply:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding a replacement seal for the kitchen sink, we can supply a replacement seal our part ID AFT08PLU0002 at a cost of £53.31 +carriage and VAT.

I was expecting something more like £5. It's only about 1.3m long.

I can buy a brand new SMEV sink for less than that but don't know whether that includes a seal!

Any suggestions please?

Roger

My first reaction has to be "They're 'avin' a larf!"

Sounds to me as if they're politely telling you they're not interested.

I'm sure there must be component stockists around who can supply a similar moulding. Try the self-build enthusiasts (think they have a club with a website) or a big caravan accessory shop.

rp272 - 2013-04-03 6:04 PM

I have a 2008 AutoTrail Delaware with a round kitchen sink. It is normally covered by a section of sliding work top when not in use. However the 'rubber' seal around the bowl has become damaged and I need a replacement.

I contacted AutoTrail because the part is not listed on their spares website and received the following reply:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding a replacement seal for the kitchen sink, we can supply a replacement seal our part ID AFT08PLU0002 at a cost of £53.31 +carriage and VAT.

I was expecting something more like £5. It's only about 1.3m long.

I can buy a brand new SMEV sink for less than that but don't know whether that includes a seal!

Any suggestions please?

Roger

It would seem that, if you bought a replacement sink, a seal would come with it.http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/smev/sinks.htmI suggest you re-contact Auto-Trail and confirm their price for the seal, as it may be they are quoting for a complete sink. Also try a few of the UK retailers selling SMEV products. For example:http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/default.aspx?shop=caravan&menu=water&Page=1&Products=9385&pageno=3&lastpage=3&pagesize=25 If it transpires that a replacement seal cannot be supplied at a sensible price, then tugga's suggestion to remove the sink and bed it on 'mastic' should be a realistic option.

Having looked at Leisure Shop Directs website via the link that Derek posted it would appear that AT have quoted you for a fixing kit and that may be the only way you can obtain a seal.

It may be worth contacting LSD to check as they seem to stock a lot of Smev spares.

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
tugga - 2013-04-03 9:04 PM

Couldn't you lift the sink up and add your own seal of mastic? We did that to our sink in our kitchen at home and we had not had any problems at all. I am sure that would be a lot cheaper :-D

Ditto!

You can get generic sealing strips for putting round ss basins and hobs from some kitchen fitting places. Zink Seal rings a bell with me. Also try looking at double glazing wedge seals, they are a good shape to make your own seal round a basin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=double+glazing+wedge+seal&_sacat=0&_odkw=double+glazing+seal&_osacat=0&_from=R40

You can pick up these wedge seals from any glazier and it is really cheap.

Archived