Isle of Weight

zak2442

Evening all.

Heading over to the Isle in May for first time with M/H,any tips on visiting the sites with van,i.e parking problems,i dont know whether to just park up the van and hire a car for a few days to get around.

Any info would be very welcome.

Regards

Keith.

The maiden trip with our current van was to the IOW. We checked in to the site then drove to the Needles. As I opened my door a sudden huge gust of wind ripped it out of my hand and slammed it forward. The wind was so strong for a few seconds that I couldn't close it. It pulled out the stay, went past the metal stop and went so far forward that it creased the door panel on the hinge. It wan't much more expensive to buy a new door than to fill the crease so that's what I did.

That somewhat blighted the rest of our time there and I am now paranoid about opening doors on windy days. Our van is only 5m so we can park anywhere, but it didn't strike me as being a problem.

Keith

We stayed at CC site Southlands a bus passes the site gate to go to Sandown where there is an excellent bus service for the whole of the island. If you have bikes there is a cycle path all the way to the coast,

approx 5 miles.

If you have bus pass, very handy. Taxi where expensive, when we last there. Some lovely places to see, and good pubs to eat in. Should not be to busy in May, and roads generally not crowded There is a train that crosses the island

PJay

Guest Peter James
Been once about 20 years ago. It was OK, but the only Island I have been on that didn't feel like an Island. It just felt like anywhere else in Hampshire. So I wouldn't bother again, unless the ferry became cheap and easy.

We went over a few years back with a Package via the Caravan Club.

Return ferry ( Red Funnel ) and 5 nights on a site ( Orchards Holiday Park ) for £109 all in.

http://www.orchards-holiday-park.co.uk/touring-and-camping/

The site we did not like at all as it was a lot worse than we expected, Swimming Pool, Take Aways,

Amusements, etc. etc.

The island itself we enjoyed and did all the favourites, Osborne House,The Needles and Battery,

Carisbrook Castle and more which we really enjoyed.

We didn`t experience any problems at all parking a 7.35M van and found that most of the

attractions had dedicated Motorhome Parking.

Have a good trip.

We've been a couple of times and enjoyed the island, however if travelling around in the van and using a sat nav beware of 6m width restricted roads. The sat nav will try and take you down them, we nearly lost a mirror to an oncoming JCB after not paying attention and turning in to a restricted road.

just back from IOW this evening the roads are in a dreadful mess with major pot holes be careful apparenty its got so bad a private company has been hired to speed up repairs on the island. lots of 6'6 width restictions went passed one sign by mistake following sat nav only to find the width restriction did not exist, i wonder if they put the signs up just to keep large vehicles away.

duetto owner - 2013-04-17 7:48 PM

... lots of 6'6 width restictions went passed one sign by mistake following sat nav only to find the width restriction did not exist, i wonder if they put the signs up just to keep large vehicles away.

I think that is exactly why a lot of roads have these 6'6" restriction on as we went down loads of them when we were there last year in our Chausson Flash 04 and never had a single problem getting around - one reason we had to do this was that a road had been closed for some reason and if we hadn't gone down the 6'6" ones we would have had to do about a 10 mile detour to get back to our campsite!!!! 8-)

Archived