WARRANTY

indi

we have a 2011 Autotrail Navajo and have just had habitation inspection. The rear and side windows are misting up and we have a problem with chrome outside trim. The dealership said they would put in a claim under the warranty. We have now been told that the claim has been refused. We had a 3 year warranty and have now been told that apparently only the first 12 months is covered by Autotrail and the remaining 2 years by a company called MB & G. Bearing in mind that the motorhome is only just 2 years old, and done 4000ish mileage, surely we should expect the windows to last more that 2 years. We have been quoted £900 + fitting to carry out the above work. Can any of you give us any advice etc., on how to fight this and have any of you had any dealings with the company MB & G.

MB&G get out of everything by the use of the words 'wear and tear'. They only cover 'breakage'. My motorhome had a burnt out valves discovered within two weeks of purchase (used not new) and they would not cover it as that was wear and tear. Things have got to fail and by that I mean break. Luckily my dealer said they knew how to word the claim so as to get it approved and they did just that.

Guest JudgeMental

12 month warranty on the most expensive brand of camper in the UK? then your left to the tender delights of some scam merchants, that is incredible.....and some on here sing the praises of UK vans *-)

first call to local CAB office (citizens advice) and pursue them under the sales of goods act

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/consumer-law-sale-of-goods

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/

here is a download template letter here: you just fill it in with yor circumstances and give them 14 days to respond..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html

good luck and keep us upto date. By the way your contract is with the DEALER not the manufacturer or their insurance company!

Hi Indi,

I am not surprised that the misted windows are not covered by warranty as misting is a trait of the kind of window used.

Whilst often referred to as sealed units they are not 'sealed' like your double glazed windows at home but instead breath through small holes in the inner pane. A change in ambient temperature and humidity will lead to mist forming within the air space. How much and whether it is visible depends on many factors and the general rule is to wait for the weather to warm up and see if it clears.

I did find an article on a website about it but I can't remember where right now.

As for chrome trim then that also is likely to be classed as fair wear and tear as you can't expect it to stay looking like brand new for ever :-(

Keith.

PS If you are still seriously displeased then perhaps it would be worth getting in touch with someone at the factory.

Hi I agree with Keith , when our new caravan windows misted up I went back to the dealer, but was told that unlike double glazed windows these plastic ones DO mist up, if opening them on a sunny day doesn't clear them then you remove the plastic bungs wait until it clears then replace them, you might be better buying new ones as you can damage them when removing. You can use a hairdryer on them but really once the summer comes it shouldn't bother you.

I bought a brand new caravan in 1995 that had this issue, the manufacturers explained that during manufacture of the windows the wrong size or a bent drill bit had been used on th jig to drill the holes for the bungs and consequently the seel was not good and they had replaced various windows to date. They sent a bloke up to my home a week or so after who replaced every window in the van even the ones that were as yet unaffected and we had no problems thereafter.

I am not sure I agree with comments about this type of window not being sealed or that this is normal as I beleive that they must be sealed or why would they have the bungs fitted and why would I have had my ones relaced all those years ago, and the window manufacturer addmitting to the problem being a manufacturing defect ??

ips - 2013-04-18 1:24 PM

I bought a brand new caravan in 1995 that had this issue, the manufacturers explained that during manufacture of the windows the wrong size or a bent drill bit had been used on th jig to drill the holes for the bungs and consequently the seel was not good and they had replaced various windows to date. They sent a bloke up to my home a week or so after who replaced every window in the van even the ones that were as yet unaffected and we had no problems thereafter.

I am not sure I agree with comments about this type of window not being sealed or that this is normal as I beleive that they must be sealed or why would they have the bungs fitted and why would I have had my ones relaced all those years ago, and the window manufacturer addmitting to the problem being a manufacturing defect ??

Oh well that could be another case of use being fobbed off with a load of rubbish!! :-S ours was a new van as well. But must admit it does work opening the window to its highest and letting the sun dry it out it does soon clear.

Try Googling "steamed up caravan windows" or similar and you will soon find many, many posts about this subject and all I have looked at say it is a trait of acrylic windows, with some even quoting replies from window manufacturers.

I rest my case,

Keith.

The acrylic plastic like nany opther plastics is hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture and can pass through the plastic. So even with a perfectly sealed plastic window it is possible in wet weather for moisture to get into the air gap. As long as you are not getting loads of drops indicating there is a breach of the seam or a crack then they will dry out in warm dry weather.

It is a fact that acrylic caravan type windows often appear slightly misted up in spring. As several people have noted, this is normal, and is not a defect of the window. We have had a very hard and long winter, and a lot of rain. It is unsurprising that humidity in the window cavity has risen. It has now become sunnier, but the air is still cool. That increased humidity will condense from time to time, as the temperature of the acrylic changes. Once the weather (please! :-)) warms up properly the tendency to misting will diminish and eventually go. It is a well known phenomenon that has dogged these windows since they were first introduced, and any dealer worth his salt should know that. It is certainly not a ground for a warranty claim. Our van has done this every year for the past five years: the windows always clear later into the year. Don't worry.

All you do need to check is that the two skins of the window have not become de-bonded around the edges. That would be a completely different matter, would definitely be a ground to claim, and is potentially dangerous to other road users. However, it is easily checked as the de-bonding is generally clearly visible.

On the question of the chrome trim I have no comment, save that most such trim items these days are only of chromed plastic, so although they may go dull, they should not be a source of corrosion.

Archived