FIAT X250 Oil Warning Light

Cattwg

Our Adria Twin is based on a 2007, 2.2, X250 Fiat. It’s done 25K miles with no problems at all. Recently, every time I start the ‘van the red ‘oil can’ warning light flashes – 5 times, every time – then goes out. It does not illuminate whilst driving.

The handbook seems to suggest that this warning is an indication of spent oil but the ‘van was serviced 4 months ago by a garage that I trust and has covered 4K miles since, so the oil is quite new. I have of course checked the oil level and it’s fine.

The vehicle starts and runs OK, there are no other warning lights showing and no other adverse indications.

Before I consider going to a Fiat garage I would appreciate any sound advice or suggestions as to the cause.

Cattwg :-D

It sounds like the garage did not reset the service indicator when they changed the oil.

Go back to the garage and ask them to reset it and if they don't know what you are talking about don't use them again!

Keith.

PS Otherwise I'm sure Nick will tell you how to reset it yourself (if it's possible without a computer that is).

Hello,

The service light will go out on it's own within 1000 miles or if you can't wait you will have to go to a main agent or another garage that has the same computer that we do; (Technotest Reflex) but that refers to the spanner symbol and not the red oil can symbol that you are seeing.

This indicates low oil pressure and is normally just a matter of a poor connection on the oil pressure sensor. Get it checked though because it could possibly be an actual case of low oil pressure! It is unlikely but needs to be ruled out. We have had a few instances of poor connections and a couple of defective sensors but thankfully no actual oil pressure problems, even with the huge mileages that our vans do.

Nick

I had this on my mini cooper (back in the days when cars were cars :D ) and it was a faulty oil filter.

Some oil filters (don't know if Fiat is one of them ?) have a non return valve in them to prevent the filter and oil-ways emptying back into the sump. If the valve fails, the oil filter and oil-ways have to be filled before lubrication takes place.

The oil pressure light will glow until the pressure switches it off

Rgds

Only to add that back flowing oil is not great as it washes all the gunge out of the filter back into the sump to be used again, along with iron filings, mechanics spanners etc

I had the oil pressure warning light lit up on my Skoda Roomster. My mechanic changed the pressure switch and 2 months later it happened again. His supplier said he sells a lot of them 8-) so I would guess that you might just have something similar. It is worrying though as you always fear the worst. :-(

Hi,

I had the same problem with my Adria twin after a local garage did an oil change a couple of months ago. It didn't show immediately but after 100 or so miles when it was a definite five flashes each time so not a dodgy pressure switch which would cause random flashes. The handbook mentions "spent oil". I took it back to the garage and they reset it although it took them a while - I think they had to get the software from somewhere!

From memory the oil change / service due indicator warning on mine was zeroes or dashes showing on the LCD display which appeared at 24000 miles and vanished after another 500 (or 1000?) miles.

Steve

Archived