Let's Hear It For The UK

Gwendolyn

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-26 8:33 PM

ips - 2013-08-26 4:35 PM

Send em up here we will fit them in, well 5 of em anyway :-D

As long as they have membership cards of course to stay at your cl, a rather alien idea to the average Frenchman. ;-)

I'm not going to keep banging the drum, life's too short, but this was the scene in Aberdyfi today on a bank hoilday Monday on the one car park that allows motorhomes from anywhere to park up ( at least in the daytime), you can see it was rammed with motorhomes,all two of them, no wonder we pose such a problem parking everywhere and dumping our crap, and perhaps all these mythical foreign vans don't think Snowdonia and Aberdyfi is up to much, as they are rarer than rocking horse s**t around here.. ;-)

It is hardly a surprise that not many euro vans visit Aberdyfi, nice spot if weather is good and you like a beach but no real reason for them to go their. As for the mythical vans, nice to see Margaret, who reported a dozen French ones, is seeing things as well as me. You can call me a liar as much as you wish 1foot but I know what I see and their are a lot of euro vans around. On our last trip to Europe which was around six weeks, we only saw around six uk vans, we saw more euro vans than that most days during our three and a bit weeks in Scotland. True only one French one, most were German and Dutch, even a couple of Swiss, you would think they had enough mountains of their own. Perhaps on your trips to euroland you only visit the popular Brit places on the atlantic coast so see a lot of Brit vans. Personally even on the ferry out I have never seen more than about six in the port but we do avoid August so again we have a limited view. The UK is certainly attracting more euro vans without making any effort to do so, I would repeat Gwens call 'lets hear it for the UK'.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave

You really are something else aren't you, no reason to visit Aberdyfi, a gem in the Snowdonia national park, and the Talyllyn Railway just four miles further up the road, the worlds FIRST preserved railway, and the Cader Idris mountain range, where do you think they all go, Blackpool. :-S

As for not seeing many Brits at the ferry port you obviously don't go there during our usual times of year that include May, June, September, or October, we never go over in July or August. And we also never do the Atlantic coast either, but I'll tell you what Henry when we go in just over a weeks time I'll do you a video of all the Brit vans coming off the ferries, and the "foreign" vans returning, and post it up on Youtube and provide the link for everyone to see it and make up their own minds, how will that do ?

http://www.talyllyn.co.uk/

http://www.aberdyfi.com/

and perhaps all these mythical foreign vans don't think Snowdonia and Aberdyfi is up to much, as they are rarer than rocking horse s**t around here..

Maybe like us they have been put off by the UNFRIENDLY natives >:-(

My mother in law and I stood for a good 5 mins in a shop with no other customers waiting to be served by the three ignorant assistants that couldn't be bothered to serve us English!! they were talking among themselves !! we had been travelling from Yorkshire going to Criccieth were very tired and just needed bread !! we walked out without being served .

We did in the end have a good holiday but it wasnt down to the friendly natives. Never again!! well I tell a lie we did go a few years ago to Freshwater East :-D but its not one of our favorite places and lets face it there are plenty of other places to choose from Its There Loss.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Oh yes the old chestnut, the Welsh speaking Welsh to each other, somehow you walk into a pub / shop and without you uttering a single word they know you are English and should stop that mumbo jumbo talk, how dare they speak their own language in their own country, oddly enough we come across that in France, so annoying the French speaking in French to one another, what a daft comment, you get pig ignorant people the world over, as you've so eloquently demonstrated with your comments ;-)

By the way it's "their loss" not "there loss" if your speaking English, and no need to capitalise the "t" either. :-S

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-27 2:29 PM

Oh yes the old chestnut, the Welsh speaking Welsh to each other, how dare they, oddly enough we come across that in France, so annoying the French speaking in French to one another.

I know how very dare they.

maggyd - 2013-08-27 1:39 PM

My mother in law and I stood for a good 5 mins in a shop with no other customers waiting to be served by the three ignorant assistants that couldn't be bothered to serve us English!! they were talking among themselves !! we had been travelling from Yorkshire going to Criccieth were very tired and just needed bread !! we walked out without being served .

We did in the end have a good holiday but it wasnt down to the friendly natives. Never again!! well I tell a lie we did go a few years ago to Freshwater East :-D but its not one of our favorite places and lets face it there are plenty of other places to choose from Its There Loss.

And was it beneath your dignity to have the manners to ask? As the bard said

O wad some Power the giftie gie us

To see oursels as ithers see us!

Oh yes the old chestnut, the Welsh speaking Welsh to each other, somehow you walk into a pub / shop and without you uttering a single word they know you are English and should stop that mumbo jumbo talk, how dare they speak their own language in their own country, oddly enough we come across that in France, so annoying the French speaking in French to one another, what a daft comment, you get pig ignorant people the world over, as you've so eloquently demonstrated with your comments ;-)

By the way it's "their loss" not "there loss" if your speaking English, and no need to capitalise the "t" either. :-S

I know how to spell thank you I just wasn't concentrating >:-) did I say they were speaking Welsh?? I cant remember what they were speaking WE just knew we were being ignored and yes they knew we were English as we were talking when we entered the shop.

Anyway it was probably petty of me to mention it after all these years :-D I apologize if I caused any offence. I'm the first one to criticize Ann Robinson when she has a pop at the Welsh.

Perhaps to return to the positive for those that want to stay on carparks etc 'cheaply' we could all put on those places that offer either public transport close by or a nice little town.

I'll start it off

Plymouth Park and Ride at the George or Milehouse. No fee to park and bus into town.

Saltash ( just in Cornwall over Tamar Bridge) car park at top of town at rear of Police Station~think you can park overnight, normally cars in day time. I've written to my local council to make this official, but they are all asleep.

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2013-08-27 5:52 PM

....By the way it's "their loss" not "there loss" if your speaking English, and no need to capitalise the "t" either. :-S

..*cough*..and it's "you're" or "you are"... not "your" ;-)

:D

Well spotted that man, I do sometimes get my Welsh mixed up with my English, diolch yn fawr. but it does piss me off that a nation is written off by someone because of one single encounter, and it's worth mentioning to the other poster as surprising as it sounds, many Welsh speakers also speak perfect English, so don't assume if in Wales someone is not Welsh because they are speaking English,and they don't all say hello boyo, and her encounter with some ignorant people could have been just that, and nothing more.

the general - 2013-08-23 4:49 PM

Just finishing trip around uk 6 wks. Why don't people who slag off uk jump in their mh and move to mainland Europe ok we got are faults but there is plenty going for us in the countryside you got to plan certain things like travel off peak I mean who travels M25,M6 except off peak, visit historic town centres after 6 pm no coaches less people easy park, places I revisited/ do

1 Scotland ( midges who wants easy life) especially. Nw and islands and off course Edinburgh where you can still park free all day about 10 min walk to royal mile

2 west Wales ( not the gower) beautiful

3 West Country ( west off Poole forget Bournemouth )coast

4north Somerset

5. North York moors

After all mh owners ( most of ones I've seen ) can't be short of a penny or two so why moan about costs you are only on this earth once live it ok it's a balancing act !

One up for Bournemouth from thursday the free airshow

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10635501.Two_days_to_the_Bournemouth_Air_Festival__here_s_what_s_on_when/?ref=la

if you can find a camp site there is a park and ride to avoid the traffic.

Downside i,ve been on the committee of our civic society for 5yrs and tried to get m/home aire, the reply

when we get a traveller site there will be somewhere to park.

the problem is we are dealing with unelected officers who prefere the status quo.

Also there is a lot of ambiguity, in britain, concerning parking in car parks or road if it says cars or m/cycles only can i park there as my van is it the same taxation class as my car. i don,t risk it.

sadly i think Britain is a great place for scenery but it is not m/home friendly due to the short -sightedness of the people who rule us.

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-27 1:06 PM

You really are something else aren't you, no reason to visit Aberdyfi, a gem in the Snowdonia national park, and the Talyllyn Railway just four miles further up the road, the worlds FIRST preserved railway, and the Cader Idris mountain range, where do you think they all go, Blackpool. :-S

As for not seeing many Brits at the ferry port you obviously don't go there during our usual times of year that include May, June, September, or October, we never go over in July or August. And we also never do the Atlantic coast either, but I'll tell you what Henry when we go in just over a weeks time I'll do you a video of all the Brit vans coming off the ferries, and the "foreign" vans returning, and post it up on Youtube and provide the link for everyone to see it and make up their own minds, how will that do ?

http://www.talyllyn.co.uk/

http://www.aberdyfi.com/

I was all set to contradict you 1foot, about the Talyllyn railway, but you are correct, I always thought the 'First' was the 'Bluebell Railway', but that was the first 'Full size gauge' preserved Railway, The Talyllyn was preserved in 1950 and is 'Narrow gauge'.

I am not Welsh by birth, but choose to live here because of the lovely people, AND the beautiful countryside, I do not speak Welsh either (bit too old to learn now too) but respect their right to speak it whether i can understand or not, we (the English) tried hard enough to suppress it ( with the 'Welsh Not' in schools) for too long , they earned the 'Right' to speak it. Noswaith dda ! (about my limit !) Ray

and it's 'their loss' or NOT from the sound of it.

Ray – I suppose we live in roughly the same-ish part of Wales?

1foot – I am tri-lingual. I like to think I speak good English [it was my ‘trade’]; I speak Welsh, but not fluently – not my ‘mamiaith’ . But I speak it when I get the chance, even in shops! But I can Talk Tidy [Wenglish] with the best of them. Tend not to use the word ‘boyo’ though!

Love the way the thread has segued into a discussion about Wales and Welsh….

BigAl - Clearly others don’t find things that hopeless, judging by some posts up-thread. I sometimes think that the phrase “the UK is not motorhome friendly” is just said as some kind of widely accepted cliché. I kind of hope that good experiences outlined here will counter that perception.

Cheers ['noswaith dda' if you prefer]

Gwen

The lesson I learned years ago was to learn a few words in whatever country I was visiting. If there's a problem when visiting Wales a pleasant greeting in their own language does help or even an apology in that language, from that they never know how much you know and I've found them to be very much more accommodating with assistance. You might surprise them with a cheerful 'No Star' and a wave when you leave.

Guest 1footinthegrave

So come on folk, let's here it for Cymru / Wales, and get all these European vans here to see what is on offer..................... ;-)

Now if only I can persuade our local community to council to reverse their ban on motorhomes parking even in the daytime on our local car park ( a ban imposed just this year, but builders vans and ruddy great 4x4s are OK ) they could come and enjoy their time here :-S

Come on now, let's be honest, England in particular is a complete dump for motorhomers. OK, Scotland is acceptable and Wales is better than England but after that? No, no and no again, there is only one country, well maybe two, to enjoy our hobby and we all know where they are.

Yes, England is a dump. You cannot park up, there are boy racers, yobs and axe wielding lunatics everywhere. I know most of you go to Europe and this is an earnest plea for the rest of you to start doing the same. I will miss you all and will just soldier on alone.

BTW, will you Welsh folk have some pity on us English. A foreign language that is made up of 49 consonants and one vowel is too difficult for us to learn. :-(

Guest 1footinthegrave
Don't worry pal, a lot of the English cannot manage their own language,never mind Welsh, and don't you folk up in Tyne and Wear speak another language altogether, way ey man. that no one with the exception of yourselves can understand bonny lad ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-27 10:48 PM

Don't worry pal, a lot of the English cannot manage their own language,never mind Welsh, and don't you folk up in Tyne and Wear speak another language altogether, way ey man. that no one with the exception of yourselves can understand bonny lad ;-)

Haddaway and shight man. Ye divvent knaa wat ya talking aboot.

Anyway, divvent ye fash yaself, haddaway abroad with them other queer beggars oot there.

longtemps - 2013-08-27 9:55 PM

Come on now, let's be honest, England in particular is a complete dump for motorhomers. OK, Scotland is acceptable and Wales is better than England but after that? No, no and no again, there is only one country, well maybe two, to enjoy our hobby and we all know where they are.

This is just about the most 'one eyed' post I have seen on the thread. Which country do you mean, I assume France, if you do mean this you really need to get out more.

rupert123 - 2013-08-28 1:46 PM

This is just about the most 'one eyed' post I have seen on the thread. Which country do you mean, I assume France, if you do mean this you really need to get out more.

.....I'm now even more firmly of the opinion that the issue isn't that the UK is totally motorhome-unfriendly, it's much more that some motorcaravanners are entirely UK-unfriendly. ;-)

Robinhood - 2013-08-28 2:16 PM

rupert123 - 2013-08-28 1:46 PM

.....I'm now even more firmly of the opinion that the issue isn't that the UK is totally motorhome-unfriendly, it's much more that some motorcaravanners are entirely UK-unfriendly. ;-)

Perfectly summed up. [i wish I'd though of that sentence.]

Cheers

Gwen

747 - 2013-08-27 10:32 PM

BTW, will you Welsh folk have some pity on us English. A foreign language that is made up of 49 consonants and one vowel is too difficult for us to learn. :-(

On the contrary, it is a very easy language to learn. There is none of the nonsense that you get in English where names such as Cholmondley and Featherstonehaugh are pronounced in a way completely unrelated to the spelling.

You just pronounce every letter in a word. It’s simple. Try tywyllwch - meaning darkness. Easy!

And don’t talk to us about words with no vowels! In English you have: fly, sly, cry, sky, why, dry, try, spry, lynx, tryst, gym, hymn, lynch, myth, rhythm… and probably lots more.

You will be well aware where the word 'pedantic' comes from as well Gwendolyn. :D :D

Only joking pet.

BTW, I hope you noticed at least one vowel in every word above. :D

AND ....... Me Granny came from Port Talbot (or as it says in the 1891 Census Port Albert. Took me ages to work that one out :D ).

Archived