Let's Hear It For The UK

Gwendolyn

BigAl - Clearly others don’t find things that hopeless, judging by some posts up-thread. I sometimes think that the phrase “the UK is not motorhome friendly” is just said as some kind of widely accepted cliché. I kind of hope that good experiences outlined here will counter that perception.

Cheers ['noswaith dda' if you prefer]

Gwen

Gwen

maybe i didn,t express my point very well, no probs with this country, we bought our m/home because we wanted to tour with it, we always use sites or more often cls, not looking for a freebe. it,s when you leave the site the problems start, park&rides with 2mtr height barriers, parking for cars & m,cyles only, just petty.As the thread has turned welsh :-) , we were touring Whales :D 2yrs ago, stopped for lunch in Betty co-ed, the carpark had a weight limit of 2tons,why, they never got our money. as stated earlier in the thead if you leave your van on site no probs but if you want to use your van like a car problems. i live in one of the major tourist towns in britain yet their is,nt single dedicated m,home parking place, free or payed for, in the town. Poole at least has 5, it,s a start.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave

I think your wasting your breath pal, no such problems exist, it's all in your mind. ;-) and mine apparently.

resized.jpg.862405cddbbaaee991fc7b97a6741cee.jpg

From that notice you can only park small cars for example basic Ford Mondeo is 1374kg but very few will be that low once you up a model or two add a few options you will be weighing in at 1500 - 1600kg most medium size cars weigh at least 1500kg, my last car a modest people carrier was over 2000kg.

I suggest Mike every time you see a car parked in the car park that is larger than a small saloon you ring the council they will soon get fed up with your 100 plus calls a day. :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-08-28 7:56 PM

From that notice you can only park small cars for example basic Ford Mondeo is 1374kg but very few will be that low once you up a model or two add a few options you will be weighing in at 1500 - 1600kg most medium size cars weigh at least 1500kg, my last car a modest people carrier was over 2000kg.

I suggest Mike every time you see a car parked in the car park that is larger than a small saloon you ring the council they will soon get fed up with your 100 plus calls a day. :D

If I have only learnt one thing in my life, it's that councils do not listen for the very great part,

don't even get me started on our campaign to prevent our local school closing..........................................with zero result, it has now closed despite huge local protest, and even a high court review. >:-( so a few petty parking rules would not even be on their radar, and given the apathy demonstrated on here nowts going to change any time soon.

teflon2 - 2013-08-28 7:53 PM

Bury St Edmunds have 5 as well so we are up and running. John 8-) 8-)

was in lyme regis 4 weeks ago, where they have m/home parking in the car park at the top end of the high street, think there were 5 spaces all at only six metres long, so 3 m/homes were actually parked into the coach parking area, when we came back to the van after a few hours we noticed 2 m/homes had tickets on them, it turns out that m/homes are classed as commercial vehicles in this car park and should pay double the price, which it states right at the bottom of the machine, I was lucky only because I had put 3 pounds in the machine and time had not quite expired when ticket mafia came visiting ,this coupled with, A roads which are so narrow that I felt extremely uncomfortable driving along these roads, and indeed whilst in axminster had a 4x4 well over my side of the road who smacked my o/side mirror to pieces, and continued driving out of the town ,it has taken me six years to realise that the uk ( which we love ) is not altogether m/ home friendly, and we therefore have decided that the way forward to enjoy this country, is to suffer our losses, and go back to caravanning, I rest my case.

rudders - 2013-08-28 8:57 PM

was in lyme regis 4 weeks ago, where they have m/home parking in the car park at the top end of the high street, think there were 5 spaces all at only six metres long, so 3 m/homes were actually parked into the coach parking area, when we came back to the van after a few hours we noticed 2 m/homes had tickets on them, it turns out that m/homes are classed as commercial vehicles in this car park and should pay double the price, which it states right at the bottom of the machine, I was lucky only because I had put 3 pounds in the machine and time had not quite expired when ticket mafia came visiting ,this coupled with, A roads which are so narrow that I felt extremely uncomfortable driving along these roads, and indeed whilst in axminster had a 4x4 well over my side of the road who smacked my o/side mirror to pieces, and continued driving out of the town ,it has taken me six years to realise that the uk ( which we love ) is not altogether m/ home friendly, and we therefore have decided that the way forward to enjoy this country, is to suffer our losses, and go back to caravanning, I rest my case.

Isn't it a disgrace that places like Lyme Regis have such dreadfully narrow lanes. I should demand a government inquiry. Insist that motorways are driven through the byways of England.

UMMM .... seem to recall same problems in parts of Brittany..... and other places in Motorhome Heaven.

bigal55 - 2013-08-28 6:01 PM

BigAl - Clearly others don’t find things that hopeless, judging by some posts up-thread. I sometimes think that the phrase “the UK is not motorhome friendly” is just said as some kind of widely accepted cliché. I kind of hope that good experiences outlined here will counter that perception.

Cheers ['noswaith dda' if you prefer]

Gwen

Gwen

maybe i didn,t express my point very well, no probs with this country, we bought our m/home because we wanted to tour with it, we always use sites or more often cls, not looking for a freebe. it,s when you leave the site the problems start, park&rides with 2mtr height barriers, parking for cars & m,cyles only, just petty.As the thread has turned welsh :-) , we were touring Whales :D 2yrs ago, stopped for lunch in Betty co-ed, the carpark had a weight limit of 2tons,why, they never got our money. as stated earlier in the thead if you leave your van on site no probs but if you want to use your van like a car problems. i live in one of the major tourist towns in britain yet their is,nt single dedicated m,home parking place, free or payed for, in the town. Poole at least has 5, it,s a start.

I assume you mean Betws y Coed, if you do the problem with posting stuff two years out of date is that times change. Their is space in the main carparks by the station and even two years ago it was very easy to park a M/H on the A5 at the opposite end of the village to the Walerloo Bridge. Just an example of people who give up to easily. OK these spaces get full but spaces in France do as well.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I think motorways have already been driven through most of the byeways of England, you can actually stop on them for a rest, as long as it does not exceed 2 hours, after that you'll get a £90 fine. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Gwendolyn - 2013-08-28 9:29 PM

Isn't it a disgrace that places like Lyme Regis have such dreadfully narrow lanes. I should demand a government inquiry. Insist that motorways are driven through the byways of England.

UMMM .... seem to recall same problems in parts of Brittany..... and other places in Motorhome Heaven.

I think motorways have already been driven through most of the byeways of England, you can actually stop on them for a rest, as long as it does not exceed 2 hours, after that you'll get a £90 fine, so if I've had a long drive and nod off I always set the alarm, having been stung once by these highway dick turpins :D

Gwendolyn - 2013-08-28 9:29 PM

lyme regis is a day trip for us, no problem with Daaarset roads but again the problem is parking with a m/home, it is ileagle in most of the car parks or at best confusing, which my point even paying does not guarantee you don,t get a ticket.

i just want to make the unelected people who rule us wake up and realise they are losing millions by there blinkered attitude. i.m not promoting "johnny foreigner land" and the people who say clear off there are just accepting the status quo. imo

747 - 2013-08-28 5:16 PM

You will be well aware where the word 'pedantic' comes from as well Gwendolyn. :D :D

Only joking pet.

BTW, I hope you noticed at least one vowel in every word above. :D

AND ....... Me Granny came from Port Talbot (or as it says in the 1891 Census Port Albert. Took me ages to work that one out :D ).

Well.. blooming heck… you are in good company: Richard Burton, Michael Sheen, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Rob Brydon and Geoffrey Howe, latterly Baron Howe of Aberavon [OK, 'good company' - maybe not the latter].

Hwyl Fawr Pet

Gwen

[PedantsRUs]

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-28 7:05 PM

I think your wasting your breath pal, no such problems exist, it's all in your mind. ;-) and mine apparently.

We KNOW! We are well aware of all the problems that some of you encounter. You tell us often enough.

Goodness… is it that hard to elicit some useful information about where one can motorhome successfully in the UK???

Tell us what works, not what is difficult. And if it is difficult then make it work. Where is the bulldog spirit?

And it’s not all about you and your problems. I refer you to sentences quoted from these two posts up-thread:

From Brock: I go away in the van to relax, not to get over excited at the realisation the country isn't run entirely for my benefit.

From Robinhood: .....I'm now even more firmly of the opinion that the issue isn't that the UK is totally motorhome-unfriendly, it's much more that some motorcaravanners are entirely UK-unfriendly.

Cheers

Gwen

This could be a thread about tourists, traffic, the school run, parking and the congestion charge in London. It's a bit like complaining about the weather. It's the way things are in a crowded place. We use public transport in London because it is too much hassle otherwise. We have a small van because it is easier to use in the UK and we wouldn't dream of visiting tourist hotspots in high season, even in a car. I'm off to sunny South Shropshire this morning, no parking problem, accepted overnighting in the car park and saw a big French van there last week. But then it's not a tourist hotspot.

Guest 1footinthegrave
With respect, it's because we as a group using our vehicles in a perfectly legal manner encounter petty regulations, and obstructions based entirely on our vehicles. The scenario being that if I turn up in a bog standard panel van to merely park for a few hours where there is no restriction for such, suddenly put some windows in it and it becomes a vehicle that is subject to the dreaded "no motorhomes" signs, perhaps that's why some folks are resorting to "stealth" vans, oh well. ;-)

...*sigh*..and around...and around..and around we go..

...I see that your well structured, well researched and correctly targeted "campaign" ( or aka: "Constantly banging on about it on here"), is coming on well then, 1foot'.. (lol) (lol)

(Ooh! OT...but I meant to ask you 1foot', I know you're sorted for your gas now but did you get any solar panels fitted in the end?..)

Guest 1footinthegrave

Yes, bought and fitted a kit a couple of weeks ago, can now go and park up permanently according to Henry on urine smelling laybys.

:D

747 - 2013-08-29 3:11 PM

I love the smell of urine in the morning. (lol)

Reminds me of French Aires. :D

with me it's Formaldahyde, can't get enough of it, especially in lovely blue toilet fluid. Just as well, since I hate the smell of Shxx ! (lol) Ray

North West coast of Scotland and the inner and outer Hebrides is well worth visiting. As for the rest of UK.......does little for me i'm afraid.

Currently in Belgium after three months touring Albania, Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro and my beloved Poland! :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
747 - 2013-08-29 3:11 PM

I love the smell of urine in the morning. (lol)

Reminds me of French Aires. :D

I'd get up a tad earlier if I was you, ;-)

I found in Lyme regis you can park in backwards there is plenty of room for the overhang mine was 7.5 meters and we never had a problem especially as it had a rear lounge. The big problem is that the bays are not wide enough if you park next to a motorhome of similar size you can't get out of the doors. John *-) *-)

teflon2 - 2013-08-29 7:00 PM

I found in Lyme regis you can park in backwards there is plenty of room for the overhang mine was 7.5 meters and we never had a problem especially as it had a rear lounge. The big problem is that the bays are not wide enough if you park next to a motorhome of similar size you can't get out of the doors. John *-) *-)

and what happens if there are no spaces you can reverse into as happened to me in swanage last month, the carpark van man said if overhang the next bay even if you get 2 tickets you will get another one costing £70.

Archived