Let's Hear It For The UK

Gwendolyn

1footinthegrave - 2013-08-30 3:01 PM

... and built miles and miles of cycle paths that no one uses. :-S

Don't worry, when your parking gets up and running, they'll get used by all these MHers that'll swarm to the region and who are just itching to throw their disposable income into the local economy.. (lol)

(..I'd hazard a guess that the cycle paths were probably funded by some or other grant though...A couple of years back they narrowed down a quite busy/major road bridge in the north of our town and laid a whacking great wide cycle path the one side...and I think all that was done with some sort of grant....but still the lycra warriors use the road.. *-) )

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2013-08-30 3:22 PM

... and built miles and miles of cycle paths that no one uses. :-S

Don't worry, when your parking gets up and running, they'll get used by all these MHers that'll swarm to the region and who are just itching to throw their disposable income into the local economy.. (lol)

(..I'd hazard a guess that the cycle paths were probably funded by some or other grant though...A couple of years back they narrowed down a quite busy/major road bridge in the north of our town and laid a whacking great wide cycle path the one side...and I think all that was done with some sort of grant....but still the lycra warriors use the road.. *-) )

As do the very few cyclists that are here, I guess it does not fit with the Lycra outfits to use a namby pamby cycle path, even though it's cost thousands and thousands ;-)

Robinhood - 2013-08-30 3:15 PM

I have every trust in our councils forward planners, they've just shut most of our local schools down through lack of funding, but built a new one in the middle of nowhere, and built miles and miles of cycle paths that no one uses. :-S

.....you obviously need to take a few lessons from the cycling lobby. ;-)

We could do with some more cycle paths here. The country roads are narrow and fine for cycling but don't go anywhere! Great for us bumbling about of an afternoon but for anyone wishing to travel in the area, well not good.

We had some sort of 'millennium grant' (not bug!) to extend a route from Glastonbury to Wells. Great, you might think. Well, just like the A303 project, it got some of the way to Wells and then branched out into the countryside, tripling the distance to Wells. Yes, lovely, scenic and peacefull BUT we now get streams of cyclists using the A39, which is extremely dangerous, as it is far quicker. The project only needed to extend the path about 2 more miles and you would be into the outskirts of Wells. Still, the planners don't ride bikes.

Worse, is the disgraceful state of the A39 from J23 M5 through to Street since Clarks Village has taken off. This road is like a major artery into central Somerset and it is appalling.

However, Clarks DO PROVIDE PARKING FOR A LARGE NUMBER OF MOTORHOMES,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well done!

bigal55 - 2013-08-29 11:02 PM

teflon2 - 2013-08-29 7:00 PM

rudders - 2013-08-28 8:57 PM

teflon2 - 2013-08-28 7:53 PM

Bury St Edmunds have 5 as well so we are up and running. John 8-) 8-)

was in lyme regis 4 weeks ago, where they have m/home parking in the car park at the top end of the high street, think there were 5 spaces all at only six metres long, so 3 m/homes were actually parked into the coach parking area, when we came back to the van after a few hours we noticed 2 m/homes had tickets on them, it turns out that m/homes are classed as commercial vehicles in this car park and should pay double the price, which it states right at the bottom of the machine, I was lucky only because I had put 3 pounds in the machine and time had not quite expired when ticket mafia came visiting ,this coupled with, A roads which are so narrow that I felt extremely uncomfortable driving along these roads, and indeed whilst in axminster had a 4x4 well over my side of the road who smacked my o/side mirror to pieces, and continued driving out of the town ,it has taken me six years to realise that the uk ( which we love ) is not altogether m/ home friendly, and we therefore have decided that the way forward to enjoy this country, is to suffer our losses, and go back to caravanning, I rest my case.

I found in Lyme regis you can park in backwards there is plenty of room for the overhang mine was 7.5 meters and we never had a problem especially as it had a rear lounge. The big problem is that the bays are not wide enough if you park next to a motorhome of similar size you can't get out of the doors. John *-) *-)

and what happens if there are no spaces you can reverse into as happened to me in swanage last month, the carpark van man said if overhang the next bay even if you get 2 tickets you will get another one costing £70.

I'd love to have the ability to tip ours up with the front in the air parked inside the designated space on its back end. Wonder what the buggers would make of that?

I must be easily pleased cos I love travelling the uk . It's beautiful in places perhaps its because its an over populated small island that people think its motorhome unfriendly. But because of the geography of the country you have to make allowances I am off to Devon then off up to Scotland ....can't wait. Pp

RECORD crowd of 404,000 basked in wall-to-wall sunshine on Saturday as day three of Bournemouth Air Festival proved to be a scorcher all-round.

just prove i am not anti uk been there for 3 days again tomorrow, but ican walk there not park

The UK's landscapes, cultural and natural history are very rewarding. I have zero reliance on formal caravan sites and personally don't encounter any hardship in moving around and stopping at the places that I find interesting.

Many UK cycle-paths are designed and built by people who do not use bikes. They also quickly fall into disrepair and not cleaned. Flint / broken glass and general debris, as well as their progress-halting layout make them largely unusable for anyone actually trying to get anywhere on a bike.

I guarantee you that most cyclists would prefer not to use roads but a bit of shard-strewn tarmac that is shared with pedestrians / people pushing prams that runs for 50m and then ends abruptly is not an attractive alternative.

Bang on, Crinkly. Not forgetting the ever encroaching undergrowth, hedges etc which make the path ever narrower and the occasional branch sticking out to take your head off or impale your chest......

Also, on the Continent, the bike track see to be part of the road construction plan, running as an extra lane to many roads and when you come to a joining side junction, you have priority just as a road user would, not being forced to stop to let a car out from a minor road as we have to here.

Rubbish, really.

welshgary - 2013-09-03 6:15 PM

Wanting to visit Derbyshire, A pub with parking & hookup sounds great, where was it?

Although that question may be for someone further back up the thread(I haven't checked),if you can manage the odd night or two off hook-up, we've stayed here in the past:

http://www.knockerdown-inn.co.uk/caravan-camping/

pepe63 - 2013-09-04 8:58 AM

welshgary - 2013-09-03 6:15 PM

Wanting to visit Derbyshire, A pub with parking & hookup sounds great, where was it?

Although that question may be for someone further back up the thread(I haven't checked),if you can manage the odd night or two off hook-up, we've stayed here in the past:

http://www.knockerdown-inn.co.uk/caravan-camping/

..although having only just read their current website, 5 quid a unit & 3 quid per head isn't what I'd call cheap for a pub site.... :-S

I would like to recommend two sites Merley Court at Wimborne, Dorset. It is a nice site with easily access to cycle paths all of road along railway bed and bespoke cycle paths to Poole and Wimborne itself, Wimborne is within walking distance although the return journey is up hill. Also on bus routes to a plethora of places.

Say here often on rallies, possibly a tad expensive.

My other is the little site I stayed at in Woodhay Farm, Marston Montgomery, Nr Ashbourne as promised the price was £4 per night £6 with electric, well I treated myself,! but not one for those that are not set on relaxing and reading as it is a bit in the middle of know where, unless you have a car then Alton Towers is 20min away.

I like the fact that I can combine both types of sites where ever I go, something for everyone.

(lol)

met with the head of planning today, asked about aire.

1 we cannot find a place for the p;;,kys as required.

2 cars happly pay £10 a day to park why worry about m/homes

bournemouth is fine,1.4000,000 for the air show, the government is putting milliions into failing seaside towns,they should be tryiing to get every penny they can.

how did woman get the the vote. by not accepting the status quo, it,s seems that lots people are happy with that.

....spotted at the (NT) property Castle Drogo last week! Who's motorhome unfriendly?

Mind you, anyone that takes a coachbuilt there deserves either a medal or certifying depending on one's point of view. ;-)

(the entry route is bad enough, but the exit route had the vegetation brushing both sides of the car, with blind corners and very few passing points. Both are a mile or two of Devon lanes).

Needless to say, there was a coachbuilt parked in there.

Saw a good few UK and foreign 'vans even in some of the less accessible parts of Cornwall. A Belgian 'van drew into the (free) car park at Carn Brea as we were watching the sunset, and was obviously planning on staying the night - I suspect the view was very much appreciated!

drogo.jpg.fe98738e9d872ba9b11b92851c6e1bb6.jpg

We have just had three nights at Chester CC site before going into Wales :-D I'm glad we did as we had a lovely time at a small CC site near Bala very peaceful with lovely views, and on the way towards the coast heading back another two nights at Harlech CC affiliated site, the view of the Castle and the lovely beach and the added bonus of the best showers and toilets that I have seen anywhere. The countryside is lovely, if it wasn't for the price of fuel and the sites I cant see why anyone living there would want to go abroad .

There you go onefoot (lol) have I redeemed myself??

Funny old string, this. First, I'm not aware anyone said there is anything wrong with the UK as a destination. Many comment that one is more or less obliged to use sites and that, coupled with the absence of "aire" type stopovers, plus our higher fuel prices, make it an EXPENSIVE destination. It is that relative expense that generates much of the complaint, not what is on offer in terms of scenery and picturesque towns and villages.

It is also familiar territory, so continental Europe offers something a bit different, if not exactly exotic. The French use the word dépaysant to describe that sense of other-worldliness that you sometimes get in a new place. Doesn't quite seem to translate into English, but has to do with the pleasure of not being in one's familiar patch. Not easy to achieve in UK, if it is the country one lives in.

Fascinating. Just when I think this thread has dropped down the ‘menu’ up it pops again, just like the diva in Tosca who jumped to death off the battlements – and landed on the trampoline, placed there to catch her, and consequently kept bouncing back into the sight of the audience.

This has wound its way through the usual anti UK moans including the ‘we should have Aires’ flurries; took a bizarre meander through the Welsh language; diverted into cycle paths and there was even a little eddy towards public sector workers.

BrianK - I started the thread in response to the 'Cornwall Curfew' and 'Get a Life' threads which, as far as I can now recall, were pretty negative about motorhoming in the UK. So as we see plenty of motorhomes on our travels, I thought we could all share GOOD UK motorhoming experiences.

Of course, that didn’t prevent the regular “UK is not Motorhome Friendly” / "UK doesn’t have Aires" gripes. It is those sentiments, often repeated on the Forum, which indicate antipathy to the UK for holidays.

1foot - You mentioned galvanising people to action – when are you going to start a a lobby group then so that we can all sign up?

BigAl - I hardly think that a few motorhomers being deprived of Aires is in the same league of human injustice as women not having the vote. But as you feel it is, can we now look forward to seeing you chained to railings, or throwing yourself under the Queen’s horse?

It’s been enjoyable and diverting catching up on the thread I must admit. And thanks to those who provided some good suggestions.

Cheers

Gwen

I'm glad you enjoyed the topic, Gwen. It epitomised everything that is good about Britain, especially wit and the opportunity to express different views without fear of retribution.

Thanks for raising, I feel much better knowing that there are many like minded people who actually love Britain.

Brock - 2013-09-08 9:41 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed the topic, Gwen. It epitomised everything that is good about Britain, especially wit and the opportunity to express different views without fear of retribution.

Thanks for raising, I feel much better knowing that there are many like minded people who actually love Britain.

And I loved your contribution up-thread, which I have already quoted, but bears repeating:

"I go away in the van to relax, not to get over excited at the realisation the country isn't run entirely for my benefit."

Worth remembering!

Gwen

PS I am writing this from somewhere in Europe... but I am also planning, with pleasure, my next UK trip, via emails to friends.

Gwendolyn - 2013-09-08 10:04 PM

Brock - 2013-09-08 9:41 PM

And I loved your contribution up-thread, which I have already quoted, but bears repeating:

"I go away in the van to relax, not to get over excited at the realisation the country isn't run entirely for my benefit."

Worth remembering!

Gwen

PS I am writing this from somewhere in Europe... but I am also planning, with pleasure, my next UK trip, via emails to friends.

"PS, I am writing this from somewhere in Europe".

*-) *-) Just typical of a woman to say one thing and do another.

No wonder we men can never understand women. :-( :-(

The other week on Steve Wright in the afternoon a motorist called in stating he had just travelled from Chamonix in the French alps to Calais without any delays , but had only been on the M20 less than half an hour when he was sat in a traffic hold up for 2 hours . This for me just sums up the frustrating ability to travel in the UK . When I exit euro tunnel and get on the French roads I just seem to totally chill out. As an example will we as motorhoming spectators be able to just park up wherever we like to see Le Tour  next year in Yorkshire like we can for free in France ,, I think not !!! It will be www.visityorksire.con not www.visityorksire.com. yes rip off Britain. 

kelly58 - 2013-09-09 8:08 AM

The other week on Steve Wright in the afternoon a motorist called in stating he had just travelled from Chamonix in the French alps to Calais without any delays , but had only been on the M20 less than half an hour when he was sat in a traffic hold up for 2 hours . This for me just sums up the frustrating ability to travel in the UK . When I exit euro tunnel and get on the French roads I just seem to totally chill out. As an example will we as motorhoming spectators be able to just park up wherever we like to see Le Tour  next year in Yorkshire like we can for free in France ,, I think not !!! It will be www.visityorksire.con not www.visityorksire.com. yes rip off Britain. 

Here we go again, another one eyed view. The motorist from Chamonix to Calais will probably do the whole way on toll roads, which the French themselves tend to avoid, and will have cost a fair amount. The M20 is rarely bad where traffic is concerned and if it is jammed just cross over to the M2 which runs pretty much parallel to it and goes to the same place. OK the UK has more jams than France but it is half the size with more cars, deal with it. As for rip off Britain you need to open your eyes a little, check a few prices out in France other than diesel and a baget, you will see which is the cheaper place to live.

Archived