Bike rack on Autotrail

nuevoboy

Hi, I've just picked up a brand new Apache 700 last week, the supplying dealer fitted a Thule bike rack.

It sits lower over the spare wheel cover than the one in the photo and I suspect that will make the cover harder to remove than the one shown in Kelly58's pic's.

I guess that's the Fiamma one?

We have an Omnistore bike rack on our Tracker FB. On the recommendation of Autotrail we had a rack that lowers and rises, this sits higher on the rear than normal. We were a bit concerned about the fact that the bikes we higher, regarding stability etc, but have found no problems at all. The best thing about it is that the bikes are well out of reach from ground level, and no fear of walking into the rack.

We have the Scout with ladder and large window plus we needed to carry 3 bikes so tow bar and Altera bike carried was our solution as the rear panel has limited capacity. Got a type approved towball fitted by Watlings but not a cheap option overall by any means

Guest Peter James
pepe63 - 2013-09-09 9:36 AM

I don't know what model of Autotrail Tracker(Rich) had but as he found that his rear axle was overloaded, if it hasn't already checked, it's worth just keeping an eye on rear axle limits......

Good point. Hefty reinforcement will be necessary to fit a tow bar, so a bike rack on the back panel will be lighter

Well, I guess I guessed wrong. (lol)

Thanks very much for all your replies, especially for the pics Kelly.

And as it happens, my query has come about because we are thinking of a Tracker RS.

Haven't managed to see one in the flesh yet, but certainly high on our "to view" list.

Cheers.

nuevoboy - 2013-09-10 9:58 PM

....we are thinking of a Tracker RS.

Haven't managed to see one in the flesh yet, but certainly high on our "to view" list.

Cheers.

As they're a comparatively compact two berth, with a relatively short rear overhang, and it looks it as though they still feel the need to offer them in 3650kg, I'd definitely be checking the weights/axle loadings...

It may be that the 3.6t "upgrade" helps cope with the extras(belted travel seats? etc)...

But worth checking out fully none the less...

We are more than pleased with our tracker rs go for the 3650kg option also you will be more than surprised with the amount of storage space available . The erro 5 has averaged 31.5 mpg on the 6500 + miles so far to date . This is our 4th motor home and for us the best one yet.

Thanks for that Kelly.

To be honest (and going off topic somewhat) there are 2 main issues to contend with for our next possible 'van.

One is that there is some overcab storage space for our bedding and

Two is the heating system.

We (unlike many) love our Truma gas or electric fire, which keeps us toasty warm in the winter.

I cannot abide the purely blown air systems in most of the new 'vans, which is why we're having so much trouble trying to find a nice viable alternative.

Can I please ask what heating system your RS has?

Ta.

Thanks for that Kelly.

To be honest (and going off topic somewhat) there are 2 main issues to contend with for our next possible 'van.

One is that there is some overcab storage space for our bedding and

Two is the heating system.

We (unlike many) love our Truma gas or electric fire, which keeps us toasty warm in the winter.

I cannot abide the purely blown air systems in most of the new 'vans, which is why we're having so much trouble trying to find a nice viable alternative.

Can I please ask what heating system your RS has?

Ta.

There is plenty of over cab storage for bedding its the one above the low line model heating is the trauma gas / electricc heater . Our previous motor home was an autosleeper nuevo 11 ek  which was a nice mh but we wanted an end washroom hence the at rs . We are currently in the dordogne on the aire at le bugue this being our 6th trip to France this year and cannot fault the  auto trail , weather a bit overcast , but warm . I have sent you a pm..

I have just purchased an AT scout and am trying to decide between the fiamma and omnistor bike racks. The fiamma one on these pics looks like the bike rails are VERY close together making the bikes difficult to load (especially mountain bikes with suspension forks).

I am there thinking about omnistor one with the extra rail for three bikes.

Any views?

Thanks

stevemate, be careful

We also have a new AT Scout and found that taking 3 heavy mountain bikes would likely overload the rear panel which from memory is 45kg. The large window and ladder we have also works to reduce capacity. The long over hang was a concern so went with a towball taken back to the main chassis for peace of mind.

stevemate - 2013-09-18 12:29 PM

The fiamma one on these pics looks like the bike rails are VERY close together making the bikes difficult to load (especially mountain bikes with suspension forks).

Any views?

Steve,

If you only have 2 rails on a Fiamma they are 30cm apart which is more than adequate. If you add a third rail it goes between the original 2 and so you then may have to 'turn' a set of handlebars or two to fit them on although there is still room for all the bikes.

I don't know if you where planning on facing the bikes alternately left and right or trying to get them all facing the same way but I've (occasionally) had 3 bikes on our Fiamma rack without a problem.

Keith.

Edit And you can stagger the rails a small amount to the left or right to make them clear.

Keithl - 2013-09-18 5:21 PM

stevemate - 2013-09-18 12:29 PM

The fiamma one on these pics looks like the bike rails are VERY close together making the bikes difficult to load (especially mountain bikes with suspension forks).

Any views?

Steve,

If you only have 2 rails on a Fiamma they are 30cm apart which is more than adequate. If you add a third rail it goes between the original 2 and so you then may have to 'turn' a set of handlebars or two to fit them on although there is still room for all the bikes.

Keith.

..I think Steve was meaning the rails on Kelly's photo,at top of thread?..(..If they are a foot apart, then that rack must be 8ft tall! (lol) )..

It does look as if they've just moved the inner(lower) rail, in order to clear the spare wheel housing.. :-S

Oh I see now, sorry but I only quickly read the last few posts before replying.

My guess is that Kelly has his rails in the 2nd and third positions so they will then be 15cm apart. This will be necessary to clear the spare wheel housing. There is still adequate space for 2 bikes but you will need to face them opposite ways and possibly slide them on their mountings left or right until the bikes fit around each other. We used to carry our old mountain bikes on the nearest 2 rails without a problem, but our new bikes where a tight fit so I use the original 2 positions (1st and 3rd).

HTH,

Keith.

Edit. just thought, these racks are designed to take 4 rails by extending the telescopic tubes so if you are really stuck for space why not extend them and then your 2 rails will again be 30cm apart.

• 3 weeks later...
I would really like to add a lifting bike rack to my new Autotrail Delaware (with the big spare wheel housing). Has anyone done this with either the Omnibike or Fiamma variants? There seems to be a weight penalty (heavier rack) which might be alleviated with a spreader bar (available from Fiamma at least) although the published Autotrail weight 'limit' is 40Kg.

Yes, that's exactly what I was hoping for..... my dealer has refused to install a lifting rack, saying that only the special Autotrail one which spreads itself around the spare wheel will do. Interesting that AT would fit that rack themselves. 16kg for the rack + 2 x 16kg (roughly) per bike puts the weight at 48kg, a bit over their defined 40kg limit. No extra reinforcing? Thanks

Archived