A Frame

zak2442

Hi Guys

There is a guy selling A Frames on e-bay listed as recovery frames,i contacted seller to ask if this could be used for pulling a small car behind motorhome his reply was yes,the item number on e-bay is 160673225078 would be interested in your valued opinions.

Well yes it would pull a car behind your MH but unfortunately I doubt it would be legal.

As these 'recovery' frames do not link into the cars brakes they would contravene the regulation which most A frames rely on in that the towed car becomes a trailer. (In short any trailer over 750 kg MUST have working brakes). And don't forget a trailer needs working lights and triangular reflectors!

There is a lot more to it than just this simple answer but hopefully will point you in the right direction.

Keith.

Look here :- http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/a-frames-and-dollies.pdf

Scroll down to Dollies and you see they are for recovery use only and they have a maximum speed

limit set at 40mph on motorways and 20mph on other roads.

The seller is LYING just like the majority of sales people do.

Southender - 2013-10-12 5:56 AM

...The seller is LYING just like the majority of sales people do.

This is the e-bay advert

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5tons-SOLO-USE-CAR-RECOVERY-A-FRAME-TOWING-DOLLY-TRAILER-3-5-/160673225078

If zak2442 had merely asked whether the A-frame "...could be used for pulling a small car behind motorhome", the answer is clearly Yes. If zak2442 had asked whether the A-frame could legally be used for towing a small car behind a motorhome when the small car was not being 'recovered', then the answer is No.

While "...could be used for pulling a small car behind motorhome" might reasonably be interpreted by motorcaravanners as meaning towing a car with a motorhome during normal driving (not recovery), it's plain from the e-bay advert that what' is being advertised is a 'recovery A-frame'. The advert's title is inaccurate, as the product is an A-frame not a 'dolly' (which lifts the towed vehicle's front wheels off the ground), but this is corrected in the description " BRAND NEW QUALITY MADE RECOVERY A-FRAME (3.5 TONS MAX TOWING LOAD)".

All 'trailers' (whatever their weight limit) that are fitted with brakes must have those brakes operational when being towed. Consequently, any car being towed as a 'trailer' must have its brakes operational.

The suggestion that the majority of sales people lie is ridiculous. However, if a buyer fails to ask the right questions, or asks questions that the seller fails to properly understand, there's no doubt that sellers may provide wrong answers.This forum has approaching a quarter-million postings. Many of these will be well-intentioned (but totally wrong) answers to inquiries. They aren't lies, just wrong answers.

Just a reminder that A Frames, whether bona fide or not, are illegal in Spain. A friendly motorhome owner advised me that when he arrived in Santander this summer any motorhome fitted with one was pulled over and ordered to separate the towed car. If there was only 1 driver then, the owner had a big problem. They were also advised not to think about re-connecting down the road as they were marked and being watched. The penalties then would be quite severe.

Actually any 2nd car we saw on site was always on a full size trailer, which was invariably a bit of a b....r to try and store on the pitch. The pitches are generous, but not that generous. Was amused at one elderly German couple who had instead of the usual Smartcar, a Quad bike. However, this was a big tyre version and reminded me of an overgrown Tonka. It certainly sounded 'Tonka, Tonka' when he started it up. I also kept expecting the wife once she had her crash helmet on to start testing her 'machine gun fitted to the back'. I know we should not always keep harping back to the War, but the pair of them were amusing to watch. He had a large A class motorhome, plus the trailer plus the 'Tonka' and so had very little room left on his pitch, but seemed happy enough.

Guest JudgeMental

Really? where else is there to go in winter, that is so cheap, so near, with excellent weather...

2 chaps that i have spoken to with A frames on this site: One was stopped and fined 60€, once. the other not as yet..they have been coming for years. So personally if i was into A framing, which I am not in the slightest, i would risk it...More than happy with the e bikes in this glorious weather!

Archived