Mercedes Sprinter, 2.2

Corky 8

Could anyone assist me , I'm looking at buying a 2009 motorhome with a Mercedes 2.2 engine and would like to know what You think about it ,what MPG you get, is the 2.2 engine up to its job in your Motorhome, have you come across any problems or Glitches, likes and dislikes , I,m looking at both Manual and Auto Boxed versions, Thanks for any info you can offer.                     Safe journey,s

Hi Corky

I have a 2007 2.2 merc manual box pulling a 7.5m 3.8 ton van,

I have had no problems at all with my base vehicle, absolutely none of the problems I read about on here with other base vehicles.

it's a great little motor and I love it love it love it.

if you have seen one and are thinking about getting it, go get it NOW

dawki - 2013-10-26 7:32 PMHi CorkyI have a 2007 2.2 merc manual box pulling a 7.5m 3.8 ton van,I have had no problems at all with my base vehicle, absolutely none of the problems I read about on here with other base vehicles.it's a great little motor and I love it love it love it.if you have seen one and are thinking about getting it, go get it NOW
Thank you for your swift reply Dawki, and for the encouraging report on your vehicle expressed so keenly, looks like I,m on the right track, I,m looking at a similar weight motorhome, Ive looked on "Other Forums" but no one mentioned the base vehicle so much as the Habitation side of their purchase Thanks again.

dawki - 2013-10-26 7:32 PMHi CorkyI have a 2007 2.2 merc manual box pulling a 7.5m 3.8 ton van,I have had no problems at all with my base vehicle, absolutely none of the problems I read about on here with other base vehicles.it's a great little motor and I love it love it love it.if you have seen one and are thinking about getting it, go get it NOW
Thank you for your swift reply Dawki, and for the encouraging report on your vehicle expressed so keenly, looks like I,m on the right track, I,m looking at a similar weight motorhome, Ive looked on "Other Forums" but no one mentioned the base vehicle so much as the Habitation side of their purchase Thanks again.

Corky,

If I am reading correctly then Dawki's 2007 2.2 will be a Euro4 OM646 engine whereas the 2009 will be a Euro 5 OM651 engine so will be a totally different engine. Have a look on Sprinter-Wiki Link. The Euro5 may also have a DPF and require adblue whereas the Euro4 will not.

I'm not sure what other changes where involved but whilst power output may be similar they are different engines.

BTW (just in case you didn't know) you can find the power output from the model number... a 315CDI would be a 3 Tonne (nominal) chassis with a 150 HP engine.

HTH,

Keith.

We had a Merc Sprinter in a Rapido with auto and cruise control. Couldn't fault it. Never bothered with MPG you either use it or not, the MPG depends on how its driven if you 'drive' up to corners without judging the distance and speed on roads then its more costly. Don't know what size the engine was, I bought it to use regardless of MPG as I do with any vehicle.

The engines are one of the best, look in all the adverts you will not find many for sale.

PS the year was 2006

Hi,we have the mercedes you are looking at and it has given no trouble at all,fuel is for us about 25 to the gallon,but we pull a trailer with a smart car,and use it every weekend,plus europe for five months of the year,having looked at some of the stories on here i would suggest that the results are very good for mercedes. Also the service at mercedes is excellent,how many sprinters do you see at the side of the road as they speed along with a full load, regards H. (lol)

Hi Corky,we bought a new 2.2litre 313 in 2005 owned it for 4yrs, 28k miles a cracking motor except at times it seemed a bit underpowered, carried 2.8 van, changed it 2009 for new 3ltr Fiat with 4.05 van, the Fiat is much quieter, very much faster even with extra weight, but the Merc is still an excellent,reliable motor,we achieved about 25 to gal. Buy it. Dave

Hi Corky,we bought a new 2.2litre 313 in 2005 owned it for 4yrs, 28k miles a cracking motor except at times it seemed a bit underpowered, carried 2.8 van, changed it 2009 for new 3ltr Fiat with 4.05 van, the Fiat is much quieter, very much faster even with extra weight, but the Merc is still an excellent,reliable motor,we achieved about 25 to gal. Buy it. Dave

I don't want to put a damper on any ones decision to buy a late model second hand Merc but our local area health authority is having all the fleet of ambulances engines changed FOC due some problem that cannot be rectified. Brand new engines are being fitted. Perhaps there is some one with some inside information who can let us know how serious the fault is to warrant a complete engine change. It's a very large fleet.

Thank you all for your replies, and for the links, after reading through them all it would appear that the Ambulance configuration of the mass of Electric had some part to play aswell as an Air con fuse block weakness, all knowledge will help me be prepared to check items under suspicion , I,m not put off by these report,s I have more faith in Mercedes Engineering than all but one of the other Converter,s engine chassis configurations.   Thanks Kiethl for the reminder about adblue, something I will be checking on but My understanding is this was intended for HGV,s and there is controvesty because of the spills and harm it can cause in water coarses, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid,  Thanks Rolandrat  I use our Local (Dumfries) Cicelys for my servicing and Mot,s ( both for £158) one of the reasons I like Merc,s.  Thank you all once again I,m much Obliged to you,     Safe Journeys.

My opinions of Mercedes vehicles are of little relevance in this context; I would say that if you have £10,000 more to spend than a new or used Fiat would cost, and if you are happy with the road manners and 'narrowness' of the chassis then you should go for it. They are for the most part well made and any weaknesses that do exist (and there are always going to be some) are not likely to be noticed in this kind of application. I personally do not believe that a 2.2 litre engine is man enough for a 3.8T GVW vehicle that is at or close to it's maximum mass most of the time, but I may be considered old fashioned.

Just a note on Ad-Blue though; this was first used on HGV's but is now fitted to a very high proportion of Diesel vans and cars too. It is not always known as Ad-Blue and is not always used in the same manner but some sort of additive is the norm now. In fact, Fiat is the ONLY manufacturer that has engines clean enough to avoid the use of any additives for Euro 6 which will be introduced next year.

I should add that Ad-Blue is harmful to the environment, but so too is Diesel and I recommend that with the cost of each being as high as it is, precautions should be taken not to waste any of it!

As said above we had a new Merc for 6 years. There were lots of minor nuisances. ALL were associated with the body work, never the engine or chassis. I wonder if a Merc engine Hymer would be the ultimate answer for a M/H as both are German.

Anybody got one ?

euroserv - 2013-10-28 4:46 PMMy opinions of Mercedes vehicles are of little relevance in this context; I would say that if you have £10,000 more to spend than a new or used Fiat would cost, and if you are happy with the road manners and 'narrowness' of the chassis then you should go for it. They are for the most part well made and any weaknesses that do exist (and there are always going to be some) are not likely to be noticed in this kind of application. I personally do not believe that a 2.2 litre engine is man enough for a 3.8T GVW vehicle that is at or close to it's maximum mass most of the time, but I may be considered old fashioned.Just a note on Ad-Blue though; this was first used on HGV's but is now fitted to a very high proportion of Diesel vans and cars too. It is not always known as Ad-Blue and is not always used in the same manner but some sort of additive is the norm now. In fact, Fiat is the ONLY manufacturer that has engines clean enough to avoid the use of any additives for Euro 6 which will be introduced next year.I should add that Ad-Blue is harmful to the environment, but so too is Diesel and I recommend that with the cost of each being as high as it is, precautions should be taken not to waste any of it!
                                                                                                             Thanks Nick your comments and Opinon,s are always Welcome and Valued.

Hi,
I would recommend them every time,if not just for peace of mind alone. On a note that Fiat are the only engine clean enough not to use ad blue to achieve present emissions standards is in fact untrue as Mercedes 3.0 V6  also does not use any ad blue to achieve this. Regarding MB on Rapido or Hymer I have serviced quite a few with very little problems on the MB side of things,some with very low mileage per annum and also others with very high mileage per annum . May I wish you well in your choice of motor.
Regards
Brendan

onecal - 2013-10-30 12:16 AM

On a note that Fiat are the only engine clean enough not to use ad blue to achieve present emissions standards is in fact untrue as Mercedes 3.0 V6  also does not use any ad blue to achieve this.

If you re-read Nick's post Brendan he didn't refer to 'present emmissions standards' but rather future emmissions standards i.e. Euro6.

As Euro6 will see a required drop in NOx levels then it may well be the case that more manufacturers will need to resort to AdBlue usage to meet the new standard.

Just to clarify the mention of additives in Nick's post:

- AdBlue is a DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) used solely to reduce NOx levels by coverting it into harmless water and nitrogen and has nothing at all to do with particulates, DPFs (diesel particulate filters) or their regeneration.

- the DPF-related fluid used by some manufacturers is EOLYS or PAT fluid and is used to lower the temperature at which the soot collected by the DPF can be burned off. It is useful where the required high temperatures cannot easily be achieved e.g. where there is insuffiecient space to close-couple the DPF directly to the turbo outlet.

AdBlue costs c. £1.25/litre and is a non-toxic mixture of denatured water and urea. AdBlue tanks can be refilled by the user and in cars are typically of around 15 litres capacity and feature automatic level reset just like a fuel tank.

EOLYS costs closer to £35/litre and is cerium-based and highly carcenogenic. Tanks are usually 'hidden', often behind a wheel arch liner, and are of about 3 litres capacity. These can only be refilled by dealers (although Ebay refill kits exist) and the level must then be reset using diagnostic tools.

While NOx levels will reduce from Euro5 to Euro6 particulate levels remain unchanged.

onecal - 2013-10-30 12:16 AMHi,
I would recommend them every time,if not just for peace of mind alone. On a note that Fiat are the only engine clean enough not to use ad blue to achieve present emissions standards is in fact untrue as Mercedes 3.0 V6  also does not use any ad blue to achieve this. Regarding MB on Rapido or Hymer I have serviced quite a few with very little problems on the MB side of things,some with very low mileage per annum and also others with very high mileage per annum . May I wish you well in your choice of motor.
Regards
Brendan
Thank you  Brendan, now convinced , I will go for a conversion on a Merc 2.2, I,m obliged to you, safe Journey,s.

Hi ,
Again my apologies for missing the Euro 6 in previous post ,but as Dennis asked about a 2.2 OM651 engine (2009)  this indeed does not need ad blue to achieve to reduce NOX  emissions levels, of Euro 5,nor indeed does the 3.0 V6 model "Blue technology" badging on same is to emphasize stop start technology ( was also used on 2009/2010 VW engines Bluemotion)   which is sometimes confused with adding ad blue. 
Regards,
Brendan.   

Is Corky actually looking at an OM651? This unit is indeed twin turbo and 210hp!

It seems highly unlikely that this unit is turning up in used campers. The same 2.2 engine at 130hp or so would seem more likely.

All versions of Mercedes commercials WILL have Ad Blue (or equvalents) for Euro 6.

So will ALL Ford

So will ALL VW

ALL Peugeot, Renault and the derivatives thereof.

Finally;

Ad Blue is available for 60p a litre if you look for it.

euroserv - 2013-11-01 12:42 PM

Is Corky actually looking at an OM651?

Who knows, but it's reasonably likely...

I suspect you've looked up the OM651 entry on Wikipedia, but this Wiki entry (provided earlier by Keithl) is more relevant:

http://sprinter-source.com/wiki/index.php/Sprinter

The Euro 5 2143cc 4-cylinder OM651 diesel motor fitted to Sprinter came in 3 power-output variants - 95bhp, 129bhp or 163bhp - with the 129bhp and 163bhp versions having a twin-turbo arrangement. The preceding OM646 motor had a slightly larger capacity (2148cc) and was a significantly different design.

The Euro 5 Sprinter's manual 6-speed gearbox was also revised ratio-wise, having a 'shorter' 1st-gear ratio and a longer 6th-gear ratio than before.

I have a July 2009 French motorhome magazine that contains an article on the (then) 'new' Euro 5 Sprinter motors. Both the OM646 and OM651 powerplants tend to be referred to as 2.2litre motors, so "...a 2009 motorhome with a Mercedes 2.2 engine.." might have either.

Keithl mentions that the motor's power output can be identified from the Mercedes model number. In the case of Sprinters with the OM651 motors, 210/310/510 would relate to a 95bhp motor, 213/313/413/513 to a 129bhp motor, and 216/316/416/516 to a 163bhp motor. (It's unlikely that the 95bhp motor would have been used for a motorhome.)

Archived