auto gas

allanmc

Hi I have just bought a Talbot Express Camelot which has been converted to run on LPG I have had it for more than a month and it was in such a state that it is now completely empty having bits welded and replacing all the floor but but when it's up and running can I run the gas appliances from the LPG tank and if so could you tell me how to go about it

Regards

Allan

....whilst theoretically possible, I don't know of anyone who supplies equipment to easily put it into practice.

The main issue is that gas for propulsion is taken in a liquid state, from a feed effectively at or towards the bottom of the LPG tank.

Gas for "domestic" use is (must be) drawn off in a gaseous state from a feed effectively at, or towards, the top of the tank. For "domestic" purposes, the tank is conventionally only partially-filled (normally around 80%), leaving an area at the top which is gas in its gaseous, rather than liquid state, and as gas is drawn off, more liquid turns to gas, and the "gassed" area at the top increases.

Feeding gas in its liquid state into cooking and heating appliances is extremely dangerous.

It might be possible to take two separate feeds from your existing tank, but I wouldn't be inclined to try any modification myself, and would only rely on someone who absolutely knew what they were doing.

A somewhat similar question was asked in April 2013 on the LPG Discussion Forum.

http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12244&p=89343&hilit=dual+purpose#p89343

I vaguely remember that 'dual purpose' LPG tanks were once marketed for motorcaravan use. I don't recall the company advertising them, but it would have been in the1990s when it was commonplace for UK motorhomes to have petrol engines.

Archived