Gaslow Pigtails

Pete-B

Hi,

I was in our local accessory shop yesterday when I noticed a Gaslow stainless steel .45M pigtail, one end was Propane quick release. The quick release knob was black but when you look on the Gaslow web site they all seem to be red,

The reason I mention this is, I noticed the price was £14.5 as opposed to Gaslows price of £29 for the same pipe. Does this mean the one's with Black knobs are no good anymore? if not I'll grab this bargain.

Simple answer, they are made by a company called 'Continental' and are NOT Gaslow.

Have a look at this Link.

Keith.

PS I have a spare genuine Gaslow 0.45 m Quick Release pigtail and 90 deg elbow for sale if anyone is interested :D

Edit, Just to add that pigtail is POL Propane (although that should be obvious as it is Quick Release).

Bit strange - I don't recall Gaslow "EASY-FIT" connectors having other than red hand-wheels

This 2007 Gaslow brochure

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/accessories/gaslow/sdmc_gaslow_2007_brochure.pdf

shows stainless-steel gas hoses and gauges/adapters with the "EASY-FIT" propane POL end-fitting and all have red hand-wheels.

Are you sure this is the genuine article?

I would expect the Part Number to be 01-6040-SS. If the hose in your accessory shop has that Part Number, it may be very old (or very new!) or perhaps Gaslow produced a batch with black hand-wheels. If the hose were very old, I guess its rubber cone end-fitting and sealing-washer might have become age-damaged. Other than that, I can't see the colour of the hand-wheel mattering.

I suggest you do the obvious and ask your local accessory shop why the hose has a black hand-wheel and, if you don't get a satisfactory answer, seek advice from Gaslow.

(Keithl has answered the question - it's more than likely that the hose you've seen is a "Continental" product, not a Gaslow one.)

Keithl - 2013-11-10 6:06 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-11-10 5:55 PM

Should have date stamped on them..would not touch otherwise ...far to risky!

My spare is marked 'Replace Pigtail 2028' so has plenty of life left in it :-)

The stainless steel ones have a far far longer life than the rubber ones. One less thing to keep worrying about. And you don't skin your knuckles with the stupid spanner trying to change over to the spare cylinder. Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-11-10 7:35 PM

The stainless steel ones have a far far longer life than the rubber ones. One less thing to keep worrying about. And you don't skin your knuckles with the stupid spanner trying to change over to the spare cylinder. Ray

And yet oddly I've seen more failures of the stainless steel type than the traditional rubber hose with a 5 year life. :-S

Guest JudgeMental

But don't stainless steel ones have a rubber core. And the rubber or PVC covered ones have steel underneath and presumably rubber under that?

I asked gaslow the difference 3 weeks ago when I ordered Cleese valve and never got a reply....but they only guarantee the valve for 5 years if you use the stainless steel pigtails......

Dave Newell - 2013-11-10 7:46 PM

And yet oddly I've seen more failures of the stainless steel type than the traditional rubber hose with a 5 year life. :-S

What sort of failures Dave ? not splits or leaks surely ? genuinely Interested. Ray

Guest JudgeMental
Keithl - 2013-11-10 8:47 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-11-10 7:52 PM

But don't stainless steel ones have a rubber core.......

No Judge, they are lined with SS. Link to Gaslow.

Keith.

Ah! All is revealed :-D can you ID a way of connecting my 2 refillables to my Cleese valve? as don't think I can use my Truma duo......

Dave,

I think one possible answer here may be that the SS hoses do not bend to anything like the radius of the rubber hoses so if forced into too tight a bend it may fracture the inner SS lining.

I had to use a right angle adaptor (Gaslow 01-1677) on top of the regulator when I fitted a single Gaslow hose to our AT as the Gaslow hose would not bend tight enough to clear the top of the gas locker whereas the rubber hose had fitted easily.

Keith.

JudgeMental - 2013-11-10 8:58 PM

Ah! All is revealed :-D can you ID a way of connecting my 2 refillables to my Cleese valve? as don't think I can use my Truma duo......

Use one of the Gaslow changover units... Link.

I use the 01-1630 with 2 Calor cylinders but threads should be the same as refillables (W20?).

Keith.

Rayjsj - 2013-11-10 8:22 PM

What sort of failures Dave ? not splits or leaks surely ? genuinely Interested. Ray

Yes Ray, splits that leak, not many I freely admit but more than I see rubber hoses leaking and I probably see more than most.

D.

Keithl - 2013-11-10 9:00 PM

Dave,

I think one possible answer here may be that the SS hoses do not bend to anything like the radius of the rubber hoses so if forced into too tight a bend it may fracture the inner SS lining.

I had to use a right angle adaptor (Gaslow 01-1677) on top of the regulator when I fitted a single Gaslow hose to our AT as the Gaslow hose would not bend tight enough to clear the top of the gas locker whereas the rubber hose had fitted easily.

Keith.

Entirely possible Keith but whatever the cause I've seen more SS hoses fail than rubber ones.

D.

There's a potential conflict between the installation of this type of stainless-steel-core gas hoses and recommended practice. The latter advises that the shortest possible hose (ie. 45cm length) be used but, as Keith says, this type of hose is significantly less flexible than the traditional type.

I mentioned this to a Gaslow rep when they were displaying their 'new' hoses at an NEC show, saying that there was no way a 45cm hose could be used on my Hobby's installation. He said "Then fit a longer hose." I'm pretty sure I highlighted the limited flexibility of these hoses on this forum, but it would have been some years back.

Unlimited life-span gas hoses are marketed in France at eye-watering prices. There's a 35cm example here:

http://www.narbonneaccessoires.fr/gaz/lyres/lyre-haute-pression-35-cm-illimitee.html

The brand-name is often "Gasinox" and it will be seen from this webpage that the pressure-resistance and flexibility of such hoses vary.

http://www.markuchi.eu/english/stomaneni.php

It would appear from the Gaslow link Keith provided that their hoses' corrugated core is not designed with maximum flexibility as a priority.

Pete-B - 2013-11-10 7:19 PM

Keith,

So are you saying in affect, that these Continental pipes are exactly the same as Gaslow ones but with just a different coloured turn wheel? If so, how much do you want for your spare one?

Pete,

You have a PM, it should be showing in your 'Inbox' above.

Keith.

JudgeMental - 2013-11-10 8:58 PM

Are you sure your Truma DuoComfort auto-changeover unit won't fit on to a Clesse regulator, as I would have thought the Clesse product would have the same inlet fitting as a SecuMotion regulator? (Perhaps it's not a question of the fitting type, but of the space available?)

There is a Clesse-branded auto-changeover device. It's shown here:

http://www.clesse.co.uk/Page4058.htm

There's also a Clesse 30mbar regulator with a manual changeover device:

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Caravan_Manual_Changeover_Regulator.html

Guest JudgeMental

can most probably marry them together but as thinking of buying new van have not bothered to investigate yet. but they def dont just marry up..cleese was real easy to fit to one bottle...

still have to sort out the dometic hob and buy a new control valve *-)

edit: your second link looks handy if I cant get duo control in..but would maybe just mount horizontally...

Guest JudgeMental
Arthur Brown - 2013-11-11 10:34 PM

Have all the pipes, manual change over, 11kg cylinder and black filler with bracket if anyones interested. Intended to change over to new van but unfortunately the Swift Suntor gas locker will not accept an 11kg through the door. Looking at an underfloor system.

Can you be more specific please Arthur, what make, what model pipes including lengths, and what make the changeover as I may be interested :-D

really dont know how swift get away with it... :-S

JudgeMental - 2013-11-11 3:22 PM

can most probably marry them together but as thinking of buying new van have not bothered to investigate yet. but they def dont just marry up..cleese was real easy to fit to one bottle...

still have to sort out the dometic hob and buy a new control valve *-)

edit: your second link looks handy if I cant get duo control in..but would maybe just mount horizontally...

I believe you have a "DuoComfort" device, not a "DuoControl" (as the latter has an integrated regulator).

DuoComfort is designed to attach to any Truma/GOK bulkhead-mounted regulator and, consequently, if both are fixed to the same flat surface, the DuoComfort's outet should line up with the Truma/GOK regulator's inlet.

If a different regulator is used (in your case a Clesse product) there's no guarantee that the DuoComfort's outlet will line up with that regulator's inlet - in fact, Sod's Law says that it won't!

However, the inlet of your Clesse regulator should have the same M20 x 1.5 threading as that of a Truma/GOK regulator so (in principle at least) you ought to be able to screw your DuoControl device on to your Clesse regulator. To get the DuoControl's outlet and Clesse regulator's inlet to iine up you may well have to pack out the Clesse regulator from the bulkhead or pack out the DuoControl, but it was always likely this might need to be done.

Instructions for fitting DuoComfort are here:

http://www.truma.com/downloadcenter/duocomfort_installation_instruction_nl.pdf

On Page 15 it is suggested that, if the height above a regulator is limited, DuoComfort could be attached to the regulator by a right-angled 'elbow' union (example on this link)

http://www.caravanaccessories4u.co.uk/products/gas/regulators-adaptors/adaptors/truma-spare-50020-56000-90-degree-elbow-union

I think that's what you are considering doing when you say "...maybe just mount horizontally" and (if you can't marry your DuoComfort directly to your Clesse regulator) that's probably the best way to proceed.

Archived