MH Test Drive Insurance

Lois

Does anyone know a company that does temp cover for motorhome test drives? Somebody is coming to see our MH tomorrow and after just checking our insurance it appears we wouldn't be covered if they wanted to test drive it. We'd be ok to drive them around in it but to me if I were parting with a lot of dosh I'd certainly want to test drive it myself. Anyone been in same position and what did you do?

Thanks.

Lois how did it go ? Did you make the sell?

BTW sorry I am late with this but most insurance policies cover the policy holder to drive "any car not owned by nor rented by the policy holder" normally this would only be at Road Traffic Act level i.e. 3 rd party protection; however I would make sure that you go with putative buyers.

Guest JudgeMental
Test what exactly..... I would not let a stranger drive my van or car ...take them for a drive and if thats not considered good enough, tell them to go to a dealer for a drive....

Do not let prospective buyer(s) take van ALONE, always go with them, as has been said , you drive and let them sit in passenger seat. To add 1 driver to insurance usually costs about £30 for 1 week (that's what I have paid to add son , for when he used it for holiday. I doubt that you could get 1 day cover, and it would have to be done before the buyer arrived with you

Good Luck with your sale

PJay - 2013-11-24 11:29 AM

Do not let prospective buyer(s) take van ALONE, always go with them, as has been said , you drive and let them sit in passenger seat. To add 1 driver to insurance usually costs about £30 for 1 week (that's what I have paid to add son , for when he used it for holiday. I doubt that you could get 1 day cover, and it would have to be done before the buyer arrived with you

Good Luck with your sale

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment. After all what would happen if there was an accident and it was the clear fault of the prospective purchaser? However, how many people would buy a van without driving it? I would but had thought I was in the minority as I am on many things.

Hi,

You can get temp cover, just Google it and there are lots of companies that do it. I did one day cover after a friend of mine passed away and his MH had to go back to the dealers for some work. His insurance wouldn't cover me and mine wouldn't cover me to drive his even though we were both insured with safeguard. Sorry I can't remember the name but I think you potential buyer would pay for this? or maybe refund them if they buy??. I think it was about £25

mildi - 2013-11-24 11:53 AM

Hi,

You can get temp cover, just Google it and there are lots of companies that do it. I did one day cover after a friend of mine passed away and his MH had to go back to the dealers for some work. His insurance wouldn't cover me and mine wouldn't cover me to drive his even though we were both insured with safeguard. Sorry I can't remember the name but I think you potential buyer would pay for this? or maybe refund them if they buy??. I think it was about £25

i would say you had a special case Mark. I doubt that insurers would want to keep giving 1 day cover, if there are several buyers! Appears that 1 day/1 week same cost

PJay

Mike88 - 2013-11-24 11:34 AM

PJay - 2013-11-24 11:29 AM

Good Luck with your sale

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment. After all what would happen if there was an accident and it was the clear fault of the prospective purchaser? However, how many people would buy a van without driving it? I would but had thought I was in the minority as I am on many things.

Mile, would't say you where in the minority, just being sensible

Archived