Condensation or ingress

Coachman

As it has been very wet the last few weeks had a look inside camper with my meter and found in the rear top cupboard from one end to other a high reading ( buzzer type). Took it for 50 mile run and tried it again in same place and reading had dropped considerable to just a few clicks. Now the Mobilvetta Driver 52 has no joins in that part of the roof, just a roof rack .Waiting to go into hospital I have been looking at m/h covers, cheapest I could find was a Explorer at £129 but it is 3 core as opposed to 4 on many other makes. Now Its just a short time maybe one to two years I reckon that I will be needing it . I do not suppose that I will be fit to drive until about April/May. So by getting a cover it should dry out , there is no staining to the inside roof covering which is a material not board etc. Appreciate any comments.

The roof rack fixings could be your problem I had a leak in the rear nearside cupboards on my Eldiss when I looked the fixing screws had loosened allowing the rack to move and break the seal, I removed the rack and resealed the mounting plates refixed it and behold no leak. John

Was or is anything still stored in the locker?

You say there are no obvious signs of ingress - ie staining, being at the extremity of the structure this could well be condensation. Not being familiar with the layout of your van, I wouldn't know what is adjacent or below the locker in question and that could have a bearing on condensation tracking to that location. .

Not entirely sure how going for a drive would change your readings unless you fired up the heating and left the lockers open en-route.

As has been suggested, leave the lockers open [good practice anyway] I would do this and monitor the situation over the next few days - plenty of rain on the way to reinforce your findings!

Personally I would avoid using a cover.

Howdy, it sounds like it could simply be condensation - I assume the cupboards were closed therefore it could be that their being no air flow and the cold damp weather we've had, it has just built up in the cupboard, this would be my guess especially as the reading reduced after you'd taken it for a run which would have improved the air flow - I would expect if it had been water ingress the trip wouldn't have had any effect on it whatsoever. It might be prudent, however, to check the roof rack fixing points to make sure no sealant etc has come adrift t allow a bit of water to get in just to be safe. It might also be worth checking the vents at the rear of the MH are not blocked/restricted and leave the locker doors ajar so that they don't get cold spots.

We had a Rimor which we hadn't used for a while over winter then went away to the NEC in February in it, in the morning we found that the walls were extremely wet which was simply the moisture from us being in it (and breathing, cooking etc) plus the moisture already in it due to our not 'airing' it much previously, once we got back home we aired it out well and never had the problem re-occur.

As for MH covers, you can get full covers, or just roof ones, and so long as whatever you get is breathable to allow any moisture under it to escape you shouldn't have a problem (assuming you secure it sufficiently to avoid any rubbing etc).

Like Mel said if you use a cover make sure it is well secure and I would add you might pad out any possible 'rubbing' points because if you don't the constant rubbing with the cover flapping in the wind will damage more than likely the outside of your MH.

First, thank you guys for comments.I have always have the lockers open and also use silica crystals, one to each upper locker.I managed to get up to the roof rack and and the area where the damp is/was there are no screw fixings, the are further down the top..This morning I checked again and the tester only gave a few clicks so am hoping it was condensation.I mentioned that the ceiling in the Mobilvetta is a soft material not solid mdf or other types which are used.As for the covers the one that made me think about it was a Royal 17'6" at £89 which my local dealer had but be .time I made my mind up they had all gone and no longer stocked at that price. Best wishes to you all for 2014.

ps On that 50mile drive the heater in the cab was full on and boy does that throw out some heat, so maybe that helped, although the locker was closed.

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-31 12:34 PM

I winder if there is any value in these covers, after all think of the millions of touring and static vans parked up through the winter, not to mention dealers stock, as others have said may be nothing more than condensation, we used to get that in one specific place in our IH where the outside insulation was obviously at it's thinnest which when I first noticed was quite alarming, but the next question being breathable or not, do you want run the risk of trapping that in with a cover ? I little bit of trickle ventilation and as others have said all locker doors open should be sufficient IMO.

happy new year 1 foot

I winder or is it wonder (lol) (lol) (lol)

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-31 5:20 PM

granddad - 2013-12-31 4:58 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-31 12:34 PM

I winder if there is any value in these covers, after all think of the millions of touring and static vans parked up through the winter, not to mention dealers stock, as others have said may be nothing more than condensation, we used to get that in one specific place in our IH where the outside insulation was obviously at it's thinnest which when I first noticed was quite alarming, but the next question being breathable or not, do you want run the risk of trapping that in with a cover ? I little bit of trickle ventilation and as others have said all locker doors open should be sufficient IMO.

happy new year 1 foot

I winder or is it wonder (lol) (lol) (lol)

Blimey, it most be katchin. ;-) and the same to you.

thx

We get some lids off jam jars and fill them with salt, which absorbs moisture, alongside leaving cupboards open etc.

Van going for habitation check tomorrow, so we will see if any of it has worked!

Also use the salt thing at home and it is surprising just how much moisture is collected :-D

Archived