12volt system

mayfly

hi ,can anyone help us with some advice, we have no 12 volt system working in our motorhome except awning light and fridge we have changed the fuse box and it is still the same, we have tried most of the obvious things( eg every fuse going ) only getting 3amps coming from the fuse box altho the correct voltage is going into the box, there is two brown and white wires which go from the negative on the main cab battery when i tested them it is showing nothing then it goes to the fuse box (presume they do) as they are the same colour i have a good earth and live coming from both batteries (leisure and cab ) ive asked a number of engineers to come down and they say it is the fuse box this is the third one including the original one, can anyone advice me (?) *-) by the way the motorhome is a 05 compass castaway

Welcome.

I'm no electrician and will wait for the experts to respond, but bitter experience tells me that just because wires are a particular colour doesn't mean anything. Trace them all the way using a voltage tester.

Mechanics nowadays seem to be trained to swap the expensive bits, which is easy and make them money, rather than tracing a fault which takes time and expertise.

You have to understand the difference between amps and volts.

The best test tool for 12v wiring is a simple bulb and two wires. If the bulb light you have volts and amps.

If it doesn't you have neither.

Just keep going back until the bulb comes on then you have found the fault.

Without being negative (pun not intended!) if you don't fully understand electrics you would be better off letting an auto electrician sort it, it would probably take about half an hour.

H

EDIT I just noticed that you had some engineers have a look. As I said, an AUTO Electrics engineer will sort it. Were they auto electrics engineers? H

hi dave,

the display unit (ZIG UNIT) only went on to half functions it was only showing battery power and water then i bought anew one it all come on on the display unit but still had no 12 volt system all we had was awning light/ 12 volt fridge when you turned the engine on , put a new disribution unit (FUSE BOX) the new one was showing the same problems so put another one on and that is the same problem, the wires going to the distribution unit are fine coming from the batteries all the fuses are ok, looked in the book there is a fuse in the boiler would that cause the problem, if i put a seperate live to the lights i can get them working so know it is not the bulbs, any help would be great as we are getting to the stage of wanting to bash it :'(

Hi, I missed the make and model in your original posting, my mistake. Compass ans Elddis fit an isolator switch near the habitation door which knocks out almost all the hab electrcis, presumably not the fridge andpossibly not the awning light so you could go out for the evening and knock off all the electrics but the vital stuff and still have an awning light workble for when you return in the dark. Is it ossible this switch has been knocked to off or has perhaps failed? As you have replaced the dis board several times with no positive result its fairly safe to say the dis board is not the problem.

D.

Archived