thetford fridges

harrywak

Hi isn't the thermocouple there to keep the gas valve open when there is a flame lit on gas, so i would say thermostat, also to double check does it freeze everything on ehu and gas? if it does on ehu then if i am correct it wont be the thermocouple?

There is a thermocouple on the gas but I am talking about the one inside the fridge, thinking about it the thermocouple & thermostat are normally a combine unit in a fridge. You will need to remove the thermostat (temperature control knob) which will have the thermocouple attached to it.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-01-20 9:29 AM

It might be useful to know the model of Thetford fridge involved, as the latest ones have 'touch control' operation rather than the traditional rotary knobs.

Sounds like it's going to be expensive. Technical overkill why do they have to put a microprocessor in everything these days.

lennyhb - 2014-01-20 9:46 AM

It might be useful to know the model of Thetford fridge involved, as the latest ones have 'touch control' operation rather than the traditional rotary knobs.

Sounds like it's going to be expensive. Technical overkill why do they have to put a microprocessor in everything these days.

Makes them more reliable and more efficient. Faulty freezer will be able to send message to your phone advising you of problems which could save you a fortune in saving food.

sshortcircuit - 2014-01-20 10:13 AM

Makes them more reliable and more efficient. Faulty freezer will be able to send message to your phone advising you of problems which could save you a fortune in saving food.

I really don't think the few quids worth of food in a Motorhome freezer is going to bother me that much.

My thetford fridge apppears to have an intermittent problem, it freezes everything in the fridge have to throw out lettuce beetroot cucumber etc etc can anyone tell me what could be wrong thank you

------------------------------------------

Hi Harrywak,

You do not say how old your Vehicle is if it is under three years old it may still be under warranty Derek Uzzell put me on to that and saved me a lot of money.

Thanks again Derek.

Mike.

lennyhb - 2014-01-20 11:00 AM

sshortcircuit - 2014-01-20 10:13 AM

I really don't think the few quids worth of food in a Motorhome freezer is going to bother me that much.

It would at home and the same technology is just carried on whether its in a motorhome or at home. More accurate control means less gas/electric used so there are benefits.

Are you guys with fridge freezing problems using outside vent covers or not?

I believe both Thetford and Dometic recommend (or maybe even stronger wording) the fitting of outside vent covers when the ambient falls below circa 8°C as otherwise the fridge will overcool and freeze.

Could this be the answer to your troubles?

Keith.

Mickydripin - 2014-01-20 11:18 AM

My thetford fridge apppears to have an intermittent problem, it freezes everything in the fridge have to throw out lettuce beetroot cucumber etc etc can anyone tell me what could be wrong thank you

------------------------------------------

Hi Harrywak,

You do not say how old your Vehicle is if it is under three years old it may still be under warranty Derek Uzzell put me on to that and saved me a lot of money.

Thanks again Derek.

Mike.

I don't recall reading the end of your problems Mike. I gather it all worked out OK in the end? What happened?

Keithl - 2014-01-20 12:09 PM

Are you guys with fridge freezing problems using outside vent covers or not?

I believe both Thetford and Dometic recommend (or maybe even stronger wording) the fitting of outside vent covers when the ambient falls below circa 8°C as otherwise the fridge will overcool and freeze.

Could this be the answer to your troubles?

Keith.

Yes it would be, but I find (so far) setting fridge to minimum means it gets 'kin cold but not enough to freeze contents.

my problem was in the summer early autumn but had no problem since October when I fitted the winter fridge covers, read somewhere that if over freezing the you should turn the fridge up NOT down as this tricks it into thinking its cold and does not work so hard but if you turn it down it will work even harder, something to do with absorption fridges !!! way over my head

colin - 2014-01-20 2:10 PM...............Yes it would be, but I find (so far) setting fridge to minimum means it gets 'kin cold but not enough to freeze contents.

Colin, hope I'm not misunderstanding you, but ours is a recent Thetford with separate freezer, which the handbook says is suitable to keep frozen food frozen, but not suitable for freezing un-frozen food. Rates a three star, I think.

Brian Kirby - 2014-01-20 11:31 PM

colin - 2014-01-20 2:10 PM...............Yes it would be, but I find (so far) setting fridge to minimum means it gets 'kin cold but not enough to freeze contents.

Colin, hope I'm not misunderstanding you, but ours is a recent Thetford with separate freezer, which the handbook says is suitable to keep frozen food frozen, but not suitable for freezing un-frozen food. Rates a three star, I think.

I think you might be misunderstanding, the freezer 'box' works fine, it's stopping the rest of fridge freezing. Before we got to grips with it, iced cucumber was a common occurrence.

I don't recall reading the end of your problems Mike. I gather it all worked out OK in the end? What happened?

-----

Brian

--------------------------------------------

Hi Brian it was a bit of a longwinded process but yes I did get it sorted sorry but I thought that I had posted the results Memory not to good at times old age and all that Lol.

After I got the info about the warranty I went to a motorhome repair garage just outside Les Sables in France they were OK but they did not do the full job so it was still faulty when I returned to the UK.

I took it in to my nearest dealer provided by Thetford. In France they had fitted a new circuit board but it still did not work at the UK dealers they checked it all out and found that the element in the chimney stack was faulty Plus another problem that they found was that the doors were warped and they changed them all free of charge so this may be Harrywaks problem as I found that food in mine tended to freeze no matter what temp I had it set on

So all in all it was thanks to the wonderful help from MMM members that saved me a lot of money.

Mike.

Harrywak hasn't answered the 'What model fridge is it' yet, so I think we are all 'stabbing around in the dark'.

He might just have had the temp adjuster up too high ? (done that, a frozen cucumber might be some use as a 'Cosh' , but it's no good as a 'lolly'.) Ray *-) *-)

colin - 2014-01-21 9:17 AM.............I think you might be misunderstanding, the freezer 'box' works fine, it's stopping the rest of fridge freezing. Before we got to grips with it, iced cucumber was a common occurrence.

In that case Colin, I definitely misunderstood! Salad lollies, eh? Not sure! :-)

Mickydripin - 2014-01-21 3:41 PM Hi Brian it was a bit of a longwinded process but yes I did get it sorted sorry but I thought that I had posted the results Memory not to good at times old age and all that Lol.

After I got the info about the warranty I went to a motorhome repair garage just outside Les Sables in France they were OK but they did not do the full job so it was still faulty when I returned to the UK.

I took it in to my nearest dealer provided by Thetford. In France they had fitted a new circuit board but it still did not work at the UK dealers they checked it all out and found that the element in the chimney stack was faulty Plus another problem that they found was that the doors were warped and they changed them all free of charge so this may be Harrywaks problem as I found that food in mine tended to freeze no matter what temp I had it set on

So all in all it was thanks to the wonderful help from MMM members that saved me a lot of money.

Mike.

Glad you got it sorted, Mike. Even better that it was under warranty. Happy travels. :-)

Archived