Axle weights and tyre pressures.

CPeachey

I had the van weighed today at the council MOT workshop, on the "rolling road" (not a weigh-bridge)

Front 1530kg rear 1250kg.

Allowing for a bit of luggage Continental's tech document suggests 52psi front for 1600kg axle load and 44psi rear for 1350 axle load.

These pressures seem rather low so I am wondering if the weight was correctly shown.

van is a Trigano Tribute 05 Ducato 2.3ltr hi top van conversion.

Does anyone have any comparable figures please?

Chris

Take that as a start and rejoice in the fact you have a van with ample payload.

If you want to you can always tweak it in the up direction safely, my previous van

was a 2003 Trigano and I ran it around 52/55 as I had a moped on the back.

Went back to look at the Tribby Forum and found the post I did then, the weighbridge is used extensively by farm vehicles and is well maintained and certified.

I took my 2003 van to the weigh bridge with a full load just before we set off for hols last year.Our scoot only weighs 75kg but the carrier must weigh about 40kg(very heavy duty beast) results front axle 1480kg rear axle 1420kg total weight 2920kg this leaves around 400kg spare for bringing back vino.

The Trigano van has a VERY good payload.

Get onto the forum Peachy http://www.tribby.co.uk/

But, do you know how the passenger and luggage weights will divide between the axles? I'd say either get it weighed again but with its full and final load, or else make a generous allowance on both axles to cover the unexpected. Using higher pressures won't cause problems, but if you're going to adjust the pressures to suit the load, you need to be sure you won't end up running under inflated, which can lead to trouble.

CPeachey - 2014-01-20 9:41 PM

Thanks GOCRO, looks like my weights are probably right. Van was ready for a trip but without personal luggage and passenger. Water tank was full.

Just need to confirm the right tyre pressures now.

(I am on the Tribby forum)

Chris

It depends what you mean by "the right tyre pressures".

Choosing pressures that match a motorhome's 'in use' axle loadings won't necessarily produce superior on-road behaviour or improve tyre wear. Unless your Tribute has a particularly harsh ride, or handles/brakes oddly, you might as well adhere to the motorhome's recommended pressures (55psi(F)/65psi®?) At least then you wouldn't need to be concerned about the accuracy of a rolling-road or weighbridge's measurements.

Just been to the weighbridge, 3480k with holiday load and just the driver, which seems fine for a 3850k plated Dethleffs A5881.

But the rear was 1940k, and any extra "stuff" will go in the rear garage.

The Fiat handbook says 5bar front, 5.5 bar rear which seems extremely high.

Archived