water in headlamps

tonyg3nwl

The Headlamps are retained by 2 screws so easy to remove. You will find one each side behind the front grille and one at top of lamp. They just click into the frame at base, once loose un-clip the wiring (sliding collar) and pull off the plug from the loom.

If you unclip the removable panel at the rear you will probably find like I did that you cannot get the water out!

What I have opted to do is drill 5 holes in the bottom of each lamp lens (they are plastic) (about size 10 screw size), each corner and one in middle towards the rear and put back . This has drained out the water and condensation, and allowed the water to evaporate, even in this weather!!

My next step is to place silica gel packets ontop if each lens at the rear, so when they get hot will dry out any further moisture - hopefully I can then seal the holes and the seam at the top and sides of the lens with silicone sealant, when the weather improves.

David

Hi, thank to all replies re various mot advisories.

Headlamp damp..found the instructions for removal in the handbook for the vehicle , peugeot bit.

Just need the rain to stop long enough to get out and tackle it.

regarding the radiator crossmember rust, thanks for the link explaining that, must get it copied and printed and then see better where to go from there.

Water tank retaining straps should be easy enough, , and hopefully exhaust clamp can be found somewhere in peugeot spares, or fabricate something.

To Iain, hope the walking wounded is mending quickly, and can you bring some sunshine back with you please.!!!!!

Problems all stem from age of vehicle.

tonyg3nwl.

To update

Headlamp removal and drying out process completed. Used hairdryer after removing bulbs and overnight in Airing cupboard.Lamps reinstatedand working.

However. next problem is excessive damp revealed after mot and associated damp check.

Very severe damp now exposed along the wall/floor join under the bunk offside. I have posted about this earlier. 2 quotes sought locally and best ESTIMATE so far up to 5k, based on what can be seen.

However, as the van was only purchased september last year, I was advised to immedately refer back to supplying dealer under sale of goods legislation 6 month time limit?

Can the legal experts on here confirm . I have been in contact with dealers office and they asked me to return Tuesday morning so that their engineer could inspect the extensive damp and rotten area.

I am led to beleive under the legislation that I have the right to Reject the van as being of "unmerchantable quality " and request a refund. Where do I stand please. Legal experts please?

tontg3nwl

I'm no legal expert by a long chalk but given the MH has been found, according to the check/quote you have received, I would say it is certainly not of 'merchantable' quality and I would be looking to reject it and receiving a full refund.  If you push it you 'might' be able to extract some recompense (I hesitate to use the word compensation) for your out of pocket expenses over the issues you have had to deal with.

Extract from Consumer Advice web site with the one real important word highlighted relative to your case (Shropshire Council, the first one I found):

Of satisfactory quality - Goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet a standard which a reasonable person would regard as being satisfactory, taking account of any description applied to them, the price (if relevant) and all other relevant circumstances. Satisfactory quality also includes the state and condition of the goods, their fitness for the purpose for which they were supplied, appearance and finish, their safety and durability and whether they are free from minor defects.

Public statements made by the trader, manufacturer or their representative relating to specific characteristics of the goods, particularly in advertising or on labelling must be accurate and are a factor in determining whether goods are of satisfactory quality.

Fit for the purpose made known to the trader - Goods must be fit for their general purpose and any particular purpose that a consumer makes known to the trader at the time of purchase .

Six months is not a statutory limit, as I read it, but beyond that it is encumbent on the purchaser to 'prove' the problem was there from the outset and has taken 'x' amount of time to come to light.  So in essence within six months it is presumably accepted without question the problem existed at the time of purchase.

You 'should' be OK should you chose to 'reject' the MH under these terms.

tonyg3nwl - 2014-02-09 12:26 PM

To update

Headlamp removal and drying out process completed. Used hairdryer after removing bulbs and overnight in Airing cupboard.Lamps reinstatedand working.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However. next problem is excessive damp revealed after mot and associated damp check.

Very severe damp now exposed along the wall/floor join under the bunk offside. I have posted about this earlier. 2 quotes sought locally and best ESTIMATE so far up to 5k, based on what can be seen.

However, as the van was only purchased september last year, I was advised to immedately refer back to supplying dealer under sale of goods legislation 6 month time limit?

Can the legal experts on here confirm . I have been in contact with dealers office and they asked me to return Tuesday morning so that their engineer could inspect the extensive damp and rotten area.

I am led to beleive under the legislation that I have the right to Reject the van as being of "unmerchantable quality " and request a refund. Where do I stand please. Legal experts please?

tontg3nwl

[/QUOT

Tony I suggest you start another thread headed legal advise needed for etc; you will then get more help with this.

Sorry to hear of your woes Tony,

If the ingress is as extensive as you suggest, then I would imagine that it would take considerably longer than 6 months to manifest itself.

I'd guess, as you purchased the van from a dealer, a damp/hab check had been carried out as part of the pre-sale? Did you get any kind of warranty?

But as I have said soooo many times before, do not assume that purchasing any van with a clear habitation check means that everything is OK regarding ingress. Some dealers [it would appear] don't even consider the underside as relevant when checking!

I would return the van to the supplying dealer at the first opportunity, having had an independent appraisal is a good thing, and will reinforce your position.

This sort of unfortunate situation, only confirms my belief in the poor construction practices of many coach builders - and I can assure you, abysmal design and shoddy workmanship is alive and well.......in fact at the NEC last year it was positively thriving!!!!

Don't know what sort of van you have, but I could hazard a guess -

Archived