Speed limits

Billggski

Having just done a speed awareness course (very good). I have downloaded the Highway Code as I haven't read it for fifty years, and find that motorhomes with a gross unladen weight of 3.05 tons or more are limited to 50 on single carriageways and 60 on dual carriageways. This must include most apart from van conversions, and I'm not sure all of those will be less.

I didn't know this and have broken the speed limit many times, ignorance is not a defence.

It was also interesting to find out that you can still be prosecuted using a hands free phone if the police believe you were distracted by it, for example by slowing down too much.

Billggski - 2014-03-05 9:25 AM

Having just done a speed awareness course (very good). I have downloaded the Highway Code as I haven't read it for fifty years, and find that motorhomes with a gross unladen weight of 3.05 tons or more are limited to 50 on single carriageways and 60 on dual carriageways. This must include most apart from van conversions, and I'm not sure all of those will be less.

I didn't know this and have broken the speed limit many times, ignorance is not a defence.

It was also interesting to find out that you can still be prosecuted using a hands free phone if the police believe you were distracted by it, for example by slowing down too much.

The 3.05 tonnes (not "tons") UK regulation was discussed in this 2007 thread.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/speed-limits-for-motorhomes-/6483/

peacock312 - 2014-03-05 9:48 AMBut I believe,contrary to what I previously believed that my van 4.5 ton can, legally travel at up to 70mph on uk motorways unless other restrictions are in place are my assumptions correct? But not allowed in fast lane on three lane motorways.

As I understand it, (from an acquaintance some years back who was 'done' for just that by a camera but got it dropped from evidence submitted) as long as it is a motor caravan and has windows in the side the 'outside' lane restriction does not apply.

He got his charge dropped because he did have a window on the side but the camera angle was such it didn't capture that part of his vehicle.

Extract from Thames Valley Police web site:

Question

What types of vehicles are not allowed in the outside lane on the motorway?

Answer

The types of vehicles not permitted to use the right hand lane on a motorway (which has three or more lanes) are,

• a goods vehicle having a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes,
  • a goods vehicle having a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter and
  • a goods vehicle which (among other things) cannot travel over 60mph
  • a passenger vehicle which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver the maximum laden weight of which exceeds 7.5 tonnes;
  • a passenger vehicle which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver the maximum laden weight of which does not exceed 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter.
  • a passenger vehicle which (among other things) cannot travel over 60mph
  • a motor vehicle drawing a trailer
  • a vehicle which is a motor tractor, a light locomotive or a heavy locomotive.

There are exceptions to this rule which are,

• when it is necessary for the vehicle to be driven to enable it to pass another vehicle which is carrying or drawing a load of exceptional width.
  • for a vehicle to change lane during a period when it would not be reasonably practicable for it to do so without involving danger of injury to any person or inconvenience to other traffic.

Guest pelmetman

2770 KG.............I'm allowed to do 70 :D................I can do it to............ down hill with the wind behind me (lol)...

Scary as hell though 8-).............

Its much safer in my delivery Tranny............but that would be illegal *-)..........

Progress eh?

Over the years, the 3050kg speed-limit regulation has been mentioned fairly regularly on this forum as a search will show http://tinyurl.com/oqq7rxe

The current UK limits are listed here

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

To the best of my knowledge, no motorcaravanner has ever been successfully prosecuted for speeding in the UK on the basis that their motorhome's unladen weight exceeded 3050kg and they were exceeding the 50mph/60mph single-carriageway/dual-carriaway limits.

"Unladen weight" is not the same as 'kerb-weight' or 'mass-in-running-order'. An educated guess at a motorhome's unladen weight can be made if a motorhome converter quotes a mass-in-running-order figure or a payload datum. If the mass-in-running-order figure is no higher than 3050kg, then the unladen weight must logically be less than 3050kg. Otherwise, the payload figure can be subtracted from the motorhome's maximum authorised mass (shown on the vehicle's VIN-plate).

Could be corrected on this, but if you have "fixtures" added to the M/home such as awnings, sat gear, air con, spot lights, bull bars (maybe not !) they add to the unladen weight figure, whilst also reducing the payload.

This can take some 3.5 to 4 tons m/homes over the 3.05 limit

Rgds

Derek Uzzell - 2014-03-05 1:36 PM

To the best of my knowledge, no motorcaravanner has ever been successfully prosecuted for speeding in the UK on the basis that their motorhome's unladen weight exceeded 3050kg and they were exceeding the 50mph/60mph single-carriageway/dual-carriaway limits.

i'm struggling to recall now, but either a motorcaravanner on here, or a WVM on another forum posted about getting caught by the cameras on A14.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2014-03-06 8:05 PM

Keithl - 2014-03-06 8:03 PM

colin - 2014-03-06 8:00 PM

i'm struggling to recall now, but either a motorcaravanner on here, or a WVM on another forum posted about getting caught by the cameras on A14.

WVM on here :'( Link to Pelmetman's thread

Keith.

Ah, confusion all around on my part, I knew it was some divvy :D

Correction :-|..................RVM............Red Van Man :D............

tonyishuk - 2014-03-06 7:16 PM

Could be corrected on this, but if you have "fixtures" added to the M/home such as awnings, sat gear, air con, spot lights, bull bars (maybe not !) they add to the unladen weight figure, whilst also reducing the payload.

This can take some 3.5 to 4 tons m/homes over the 3.05 limit

Rgds

You are correct, Tony, but although unladen weight is as you describe, it excludes everything that is not permanently attached. So, no jack, no tools, no spare wheel, no water, no gas, no habitation battery, and no fuel in the tank. Just oil and coolant for the engine. You could arguably also remove the seat backs and cushions and mattresses as well, (even though they may be required in order for the van to qualify as a motor caravan).

Indeed, but it wasn't Dave (Pelmetman).

It was the following thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Beware-of-your-speed-limits/27935/

...where, after advice from the forum on the 3050kg threshold, the OP successfully appealed (multiple) NIPs issued for exceeding 60mph in a National Speed Limit zone on the A14.

(the outcome demonstrates the value of understanding the law in this area, as a large number of points, and possibly the licence itself, were at risk).

Robinhood - 2014-03-07 12:58 PM

Indeed, but it wasn't Dave (Pelmetman).

It was the following thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Beware-of-your-speed-limits/27935/

...where, after advice from the forum on the 3050kg threshold, the OP successfully appealed (multiple) NIPs issued for exceeding 60mph in a National Speed Limit zone on the A14.

(the outcome demonstrates the value of understanding the law in this area, as a large number of points, and possibly the licence itself, were at risk).

Since posting I've remembered another case in Scotland which was similar, IIRC the ticket was issued by a traffic officer, who refused to accept that motorcaravans under 3050kg unladen where subject to car limits.

Archived