Calais Warning !

whisturx

Had Enough - 2014-04-16 3:23 PM

pepe63 - 2014-04-16 3:15 PM

whisturx - 2014-04-16 3:01 PM

My bad luck it appears...

A lot of it, does come down that just that...luck! :-S

..after all, some folk get their cars/vans stolen/broken into, whilst they're on their own driveways.......

But by being sensible you can make your own luck.../cropped/.....

And British 'vans may be more attractive because there's a chance they'll have some nice British passports in them. These people aren't trying to sneak into France, they're already there. They're trying to get to to the UK! And a stolen and then doctored UK passport is worth a lot of money.

That's true..I hadn't considered the "UK passport" angle....

(...I just assumed that they'd see a tidy van...and then just see what they could nick).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a shame this post has degenerated into yet another argument ! My intentions were to warn others ,not as "experienced" as some on here, to be careful in Calais.

The day I have to spend 24/7 on guard duty is the day I retire from motorhoming ! It is supposed to be a holiday

While away my garden shed was broken into, so perhaps I should have left the wife behind to guard that ! Luckily it was full of old paint tins which they were welcome too !

wisturx,

I for one am gratefull for your warnings. we always leave one of us in the van at supermarkets after a friend commented that standing by the shop doorway meant that only one side of the van could be seen. So a thief could puncture a tyre, break in if no alarm fitted or set and wev would be non the wiser.

I was taught to be cautious and therefore take us out of the pool of victims.

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

Cheers Frank your a gent, you have always been able to recognise a wrong un.

It can happen anywhere and has been doing so since we started visiting Europe 30 years ago?.....Italy Spain France anywhere to be honest, with hot spots all along the way....

Do you seriously think you can leave a big shiny box full of goodies unattended without some scrot thinking ey ey easy pickings! I just find the screw the holiday head on, or "look mother we are on holiday!" throw common sense out the window approach to travel, absolutely astonishing to be honest!lol

As for blaming the desperate, dispossessed and the poor for your flagrant display of wealth attracting their attention, you're like the brainless politicians and the bankers driving our economy into the abyss while blaming the poor for everything!

whisturx - 2014-04-16 3:48 PM

Its a shame this post has degenerated into yet another argument ! My intentions were to warn others ,not as "experienced" as some on here, to be careful in Calais.

The day I have to spend 24/7 on guard duty is the day I retire from motorhoming ! It is supposed to be a holiday

While away my garden shed was broken into, so perhaps I should have left the wife behind to guard that ! Luckily it was full of old paint tins which they were welcome too !

Well said sir , your original warning hopefully noted

My neighbour who flaunts his wealth was turned over two weeks ago in his three bed house , TV , sentimental rings , even the car taken and crashed by a local poor hard time kid , he really should of had the missus at home to face those intruders !

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-04-16 5:13 PM

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) :D

Guest JudgeMental
pelmetman - 2014-04-16 5:52 PM

dont take it personally :D

pelmetman - 2014-04-16 5:52 PM

Bloody hell I'd missed that beauty

Gent isn't the first name I would use for a persistent offender of having been thrown off Internet chat rooms but if it floats ya boat Judge

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2014-04-16 5:42 PM

My neighbour who flaunts his wealth was turned over two weeks ago in his three bed house , TV , sentimental rings , even the car taken and crashed by a local poor hard time kid , he really should of had the missus at home to face those intruders !

Our sympathies are clearly misplaced with the OP ;-)..................Its his fault for not being more aware of those who are not in his fortunate position *-) ..................I reckon we should start a petition, and demand that he should give his camper to the poor asylum seeker who failed to break in, due to his selfishness of not leaving it unlocked 8-)..................

Whats the world coming to eh? :-|.............

pelmetman - 2014-04-16 5:59 PM

Our sympathies are clearly misplaced with the OP ;-)..................Its his fault for not being more aware of those who are not in his fortunate position *-) ..................I reckon we should start a petition, and demand that he should give his camper to the poor asylum seeker who failed to break in, due to his selfishness of not leaving it unlocked 8-)..................

Me thinks you need to rethink your position on this Dave

You risk the wrath of new motorhome matters prefect frank and possibly a threat of violence to your person by Mr Judge for not agreeing with him

Don't worry, it was not a wasted effort. We are travelling South in a couple of weeks, I was weighing up whether to spend the night at Citie Europe or push on for a couple of hours and seek an aire nearer Reims - you've helped me make my decision!

Many thanks

Sean

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2014-04-16 6:05 PM

pelmetman - 2014-04-16 5:59 PM

Me thinks you need to rethink your position on this Dave

You risk the wrath of new motorhome matters prefect frank and possibly a threat of violence to your person by Mr Judge for not agreeing with him

You think I jest Antony? :-S.................

When I rule the world.........everyone will be forced to drive a bargain banger :D...............

Guest JudgeMental

the scourge of burglary on our society could be cut over night if the politicians had the gumption and backbone to simply decriminalise drug use...

We stayed at Calais cite de europe on way back from Germany recently, along with approx half a dozen other vans. not sure I would stay here if I had bikes on the back though, makes far more sense to drive in the direction of travel for an hour or two and find a quiet spot

Thanks for the warning, things did go quiet for a while but it seems to be starting up again we were thinking of staying Calais area our first night :-S but for warned is for armed :-D we will crack on a few miles further on and feel safer, mind you along with our VanBlitz alarm we have two very yappy little Gremlins that would detter most . >:-) sneak thieves even the passport control laugh when they ask "have you left your van unattended"

JudgeMental - 2014-04-16 6:25 PM

the scourge of burglary on our society could be cut over night if the politicians had the gumption and backbone to simply decriminalise drug use...

We stayed at Calais cite de europe on way back from Germany recently, along with approx half a dozen other vans. not sure I would stay here if I had bikes on the back though, makes far more sense to drive in the direction of travel for an hour or two and find a quiet spot

Not sure how that works though Judge when in my former life on the fringes I new plenty of career criminals but none that I knew of took drugs . They pinched and thieved because they were lazy sods who wanted what you and I have but they didn't want to put the work shift in

The link between drugs and criminality cannot be disputed but for me making em legal is a no no

This Problem at Calais is not new it was happening last year. We witnessed cars and motorhomes broken into at Auchan. My family run a coach firm and we have all kinds of problems around northern France and Belgium... I have dog barking Deterrent (better than a real dog I don’t have to walk it). I plug it into my inverter and just lock up and alarm. No problems at all. Who wants to take a chance with a dog barking inside a locked Van? http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_kw=dog+barking+alarm

it detects movement then activates

I also want to add my thanks for the warning, I read these posts to inform myself of any useful information and pass by the ones that are not relevant to me. I don't feel the need to criticise ones I don't necessarily agree with nor to take umbrage if someone doesn't agree with my opinions, but I do think its important to show gratitude for any which are useful .

We are planning our first motorhoming trip to France this summer having visited regularly for the past 15 or so years and stayed firstly on large campsites in fixed tents and more recently in houses in a wide variety of coastal regions.

Someone once stole a bike of our from outside a cottage in a tiny hamlet in Brittany only cycle back past the house by mistake when we were able to reclaim our property - but generally i have felt extremely safe in France. However having met a couple last weekend whose RV was broken into in a supermarket car park when thousands of pounds worth of damage done, and with all these tales of break-ins in supermarkets my enthusiasm for my summer holiday is rapidly waning.

HOW BAD IS IT? We are very sensible but the idea of not being able to leave our motorhome in a supermarket car park in Brittany makes me wonder if I really want to go at all, and how safe will I feel when parked in an aire I wonder.

Should i really worry or are these very rare instances?

multiplamum - 2014-04-17 9:37 AM

We are planning our first motorhoming trip to France this summer having visited regularly for the past 15 or so years and stayed firstly on large campsites in fixed tents and more recently in houses in a wide variety of coastal regions.

Someone once stole a bike of our from outside a cottage in a tiny hamlet in Brittany only cycle back past the house by mistake when we were able to reclaim our property - but generally i have felt extremely safe in France. However having met a couple last weekend whose RV was broken into in a supermarket car park when thousands of pounds worth of damage done, and with all these tales of break-ins in supermarkets my enthusiasm for my summer holiday is rapidly waning.

HOW BAD IS IT? We are very sensible but the idea of not being able to leave our motorhome in a supermarket car park in Brittany makes me wonder if I really want to go at all, and how safe will I feel when parked in an aire I wonder.

Should i really worry or are these very rare instances?

Dont be put off we have been going for the last 9 years :-S we have never had any problems, its just a case of doing thing the same as you would over here! Dont park up in anywhere that looks as if you could be vunerable after dark! in supermarket car parks even if there are lots of vans and cars parked , be vigilant, we usually go in to-gether and I go to the check out while O.H returns to the van, its alarmed and the dogs are inside, still because of ventillation it can be vunerable.

My father in law returned to estate car on the Norfolk Broads years ago and found it had been broken into and ransacked.

Dont let these warnings put you off they are intended to make everyone aware not frighten us.

You will love the relaxed driving and ease of parking over there :-) have a lovely time, I know we will.

Please don't let my incident put anyone off from touring France. We have returned from 3 weeks on aires ,some with 60 vans down to 3 on others without a problem. Supermarkets no problem.

Having shopped at Auchan and stayed on the Calais aire 4 times a year for 12 years ,we were unlucky this time.

Calais has more "asylum seekers " than I have ever seen over the years. There is a huge " camp site" on the road leading from the town centre to the port.

The problem really does need sorting as its not the best welcome to France ,or for the residents of Calais

whisturx - 2014-04-17 1:57 PM

Please don't let my incident put anyone off from touring France. We have returned from 3 weeks on aires ,some with 60 vans down to 3 on others without a problem. Supermarkets no problem.

Having shopped at Auchan and stayed on the Calais aire 4 times a year for 12 years ,we were unlucky this time.

Calais has more "asylum seekers " than I have ever seen over the years. There is a huge " camp site" on the road leading from the town centre to the port.

The problem really does need sorting as its not the best welcome to France ,or for the residents of Calais

Obviously not a nice experience for you in Calais but thankfully it doesn't seem to have put you off travelling to a great place to visit like France

It's a shame they can't just fast track those poor asylum seekers here quicker isn't it ? I think we still have one or two empty houses here in huddersfield that could accommodate them

gwyn - 2014-04-16 8:03 PM

I also want to add my thanks for the warning, I read these posts to inform myself of any useful information and pass by the ones that are not relevant to me. I don't feel the need to criticise ones I don't necessarily agree with nor to take umbrage if someone doesn't agree with my opinions, but I do think its important to show gratitude for any which are useful .

Afternoon folks,

May I just reiterate the above.

As a brad eneral rule we tend to avoid major conurbations and cities as I reckon crime is a problem thoughout the world in these places.

norm

Guest JudgeMental

you would "think" wouldn't you Norm...Whats all the panic stations about! just go on your travels but engage your brains for pitys sake. Simply use your eyes, carry out a risk assessment before leaving the van anywhere. One supermarket in Garda we use has evidence of broken glass everywhere...in itself a pretty good example of when best for one to stay with the van...it really is that simple*-)

Honestly..Like dads army on here sometimes...dont panic Mr Mannering! :-D

Archived