Video Journey Recorder

Barney123

Dave Newell - 2014-04-22 9:07 AM

One useful feature of the cam I've now got is that if an event occurs that registers more tha 1.5G it automatically locks the currently recording video file so it can't be over written, mine did this twice over the weekend while racing 8-).

D.

If you are recording GPS data, high definition video and audio the storage time can be surprisingly low.

Our local taxi firm had the G-sensor set too low and it was being activated when driving over potholes. This locks the file at that time-stamp preventing them being overwritten. Consequently the 32 SD card was not lasting a full shift.

If the OP gives more information on what he hopes to achieve and the spec. of the camera I may be able to offer advise.

AliB - 2014-04-22 8:49 AM

We have probably tested over 30 of these Chinese made cameras and have not found one that will not work with a 32GB SD card. We have found several dodgy SD cards, particularly those from China. Now only use SD cards from a reputable supplier.

These cameras need an SD card of at least Class 6. The higher definition cameras work better on Class 10.

Glad i'm not alone in discovering that (bib)!!

I was a bit annoyed as i'd bought a 32gb specifically for using in my DVR only to find when fitted it would not recognise the card at all. It was a branded make card (Transcend) and i tried it in a friends phone which worked perfectly so i then knew for certain it was the DVR. I bought a 16gb and of course the DVR then worked! Annoyingly it was also described as using SD cards when in fact it used MicroSD.

The Cam i bought is the GS1000. Plenty on fleabay as low as £17.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FHD-1080P-Dash-Car-DVR-Camcorder-Vehicle-Camera-IR-Night-Vision-Blackbox-GS1000-/271338753353?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f2d0ccd49

Pros

Cheap price

Fairly good images

Brilliant sucker mount

Cons

Does not take anything bigger than 16bg card

File sizes soon fill a 16bg card

Mount bracket is too close to on/off switch making operation difficult

Fiddly onscreen menu

Comes with Instruction manual but you will need a microscope to read it!

For anyone thinking of buying a DVR there is a guy who regularly does some excellent reviews of various Car Cams and posts on YouTube. This is his site;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5I2hjZYiW9gZPVkvzM8_Cw

Barney123 - 2014-04-21 4:45 PM

So by the sounds of things no-one has commented on my original post about the Makro offer and all have been interested in Dave Newell's set up. Looks like I will save myself £20.00.

How can anyone when you didn't post a link to it?!!! *-)

I searched Makro's website but found absolutely nothing and have asked you to post a link but you never responded.

gocro - 2014-04-22 11:30 AM

The video recorder was advertised in a mail shot Makro Mail and is not advertised online ,hence no online link, it also says limited availability so I suppose that they have long since sold out.

That was a waste of time then! OP must think everyone has mail shots from Makro!

We don't!!

Barney123 - 2014-04-16 9:02 PM

The Makro latest flier just came in today and its offering a "HD In-Vehicle Video Journey Recorder" for £19.99. Anyone out there got any views on the pro's and con's of it,

Is it worth it or is it £20.00 down the drain ??

Thanks

It does refer to a flier, it's just that we are all used to email nowadays that we forget about snail mail, Makro were wanting people to visit their stores in order to buy other stuff too.

Firstly.. Thanks Gocro for stepping in and enlightening others for me, I have been away from computer for a few days so was unable to respond.

As for comment from Keithl " Whats makro" why cant he google it and find he has a massive big Makro store in Birmingham. Enough said

Barney123 - 2014-04-24 8:34 AM

Firstly.. Thanks Gocro for stepping in and enlightening others for me, I have been away from computer for a few days so was unable to respond.

As for comment from Keithl " Whats makro" why cant he google it and find he has a massive big Makro store in Birmingham. Enough said

Sorry, it was asked a bit 'tongue in cheek'.

I do know what Makro is but, no doubt like many others on here, have no access to a card or means to get a card so it was a bit of a pointless post to me. And my 'local' store is also on the wrong side of Birmingham to me so I have no intention of traipsing miles and miles to try and save a couple of quid. Sorry to the OP if I upset his good intentions with the thread.

Keith.

• 3 weeks later...

I also bought one the same as David .Ordered on a Thursday it came next day first class post, unfortunately I wasn't in so had to wait for Monday to collect.

It's brilliant, just need one for the back of the van now lol

Bigal, The Chinese manufacturers often use a generic casing that they purchase from a plastics moulding company. They then design and fit their own electronics. So if 2 cameras look similar there is no way of guaranteeing they have the same specification. The manufacturers are also notorious for not quoting important specifications like the type of lens used and the light sensitivity.

All these cameras have a lens which give a wide angle of view, typically 140 degrees. This is precisely what is required to observe vehicles approaching fromside road etc. The 140 degree angle of view is the main restricting factor in the ability to read number plates at a long distance. Again not something to worry about. If you hit a vehicle the camera to object distance will be very small.

The camera you linked to is a dual lens camera, so with both cameras recording each will have a resolution of 640x 480. One camera recording the resolution is 1280 x 480. We have found these results to perfectly adequate for general driving purposes. If you are planning to record a wonderful drive through the mountains and then play it back on a massive TV then you need a camera with 1080P resolution.

Night-time results from these cameras depends on a number of factors. Remember your windscreen is tinted so this will reduce the ambient light level reaching the camera. If the camera is mounted a little way back from the windscreen there is a danger it will be "distracted"by light from the dashboard dials and switches

Most cameras will produce excellent results in street light areas but on country roads they will need the assistance of the vehicle headlights. Even then the camera will only capture the illuminated area. Again not something to get hung up about. The recording will be good enough to show the relative position of vehicle in an incident.

Some footage of the DVR6046HD camera. Of course Youtube does not show the full resolution.

AliB - 2014-05-15 11:36 AM

Bigal, The Chinese manufacturers often use a generic casing that they purchase from a plastics moulding company. They then design and fit their own electronics. So if 2 cameras look similar there is no way of guaranteeing they have the same specification. The manufacturers are also notorious for not quoting important specifications like the type of lens used and the light sensitivity.

All these cameras have a lens which give a wide angle of view, typically 140 degrees. This is precisely what is required to observe vehicles approaching fromside road etc. The 140 degree angle of view is the main restricting factor in the ability to read number plates at a long distance. Again not something to worry about. If you hit a vehicle the camera to object distance will be very small.

The camera you linked to is a dual lens camera, so with both cameras recording each will have a resolution of 640x 480. One camera recording the resolution is 1280 x 480. We have found these results to perfectly adequate for general driving purposes. If you are planning to record a wonderful drive through the mountains and then play it back on a massive TV then you need a camera with 1080P resolution.

Night-time results from these cameras depends on a number of factors. Remember your windscreen is tinted so this will reduce the ambient light level reaching the camera. If the camera is mounted a little way back from the windscreen there is a danger it will be "distracted"by light from the dashboard dials and switches

Most cameras will produce excellent results in street light areas but on country roads they will need the assistance of the vehicle headlights. Even then the camera will only capture the illuminated area. Again not something to get hung up about. The recording will be good enough to show the relative position of vehicle in an incident.

Some footage of the DVR6046HD camera. Of course Youtube does not show the full resolution.

Hi Alib

thanks for the reply, i already understood the limitations of these cameras, all i want is a "crash camera", as the amazon one is £9 cheaper and does want i will go for that, i just wondered if anybody was getting a clearer picture. As the 5* reviews on amazon say great for the money. thanks again.

It looks the same as the one i bought off amazon,i paid a fiver more for mine,if it is the same one its great for the price the night view is better than i expected and the gps works fine but it gives the speed in kilometers,easy to set up to how you want use it,we just use one camera with sound recording off

Cap, assuming you have the same Player client, when playing back on a PC you will see right at the top of the border a Km/h icon. Click it and it should change to Mph. There you go free technical support and you didn't even buy from us!

Ive been using this dash cam for about 18 months or more now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X3000-Board-Camera-Recorder-Logger/dp/B00AA8BP60

I use a 32gb micro sd card , its a good all rounder , watch the you tube video about it or look on amazon , i paid about £30 , now and again when something interesting happens or i need to keep something from it i download the section to my computer . I dont know anything about the one the OP is asking about but he might try looking at this one . ;-)

Archived