Driving differences between X244 and X250 chassis

stevec

Hi All,

We are currently looking for our first motorhome. Originally plumped for the Elddis Autoquest 115 but now being influenced of reports of water ingress especially around the wheel arches. Now thinking about older model but better quality like an Autosleeper. Can anyone give some views on differences in driving these two ages of base vehicle (pre and post 2007). I have driven one of each (but not one after the other). The older one seemed a bit like driving a bus with a wider flatter wheel. My wife has not driven either yet and it is important that she is comfortable with driving. Just wondering if we are being spoilt by the newer chassis and the older one will be perfectly ok to drive (but my wife has shorter arms than I have).

Guest JudgeMental

had a pre x250 coachbuilt for a month on hire (paid for by insurance company) and we went down to Spain in it, got a good dispassionate idea as to what it was like as i didn't own it! Found it noisy and agricultural to be honest, did not like it at all.

Your dilemma will be with early X250's, will it have had all the issues addressed and fixes for the clutch judder that affected vans up to nearly 2010? What about trying a Ford or other make....just go and drive a few, but bring the wife as well, if she is going to drive, mine would never drive a CB happy to drive a panel van though.....

I've owned both - as I'm sure most on this forum have.

I'm afraid driving differences go beyond just the cab though.

Both mine have been on sub 6mt, low profile coachbuilts.

With the X244 there were more power variables to choose from - which will have an impact on the driving characteristics, as will the chassis set-up.

My X244 observations were, a 'long' fifth gear, no problem on a light van like mine, but it has been commented on many times with those driving heavier vans. Having only experienced the 2.8 variant, I couldn't comment on the smaller options - but I would not have considered any other power-plant except maybe the 2.3 offered on the later models. I thought it drove well, but not a patch on my newer X250 2.3, especially with the extra gear and cruise control.

Cab comfort and spec is greatly improved, and overall a more refined drive - as you would expect being a newer incarnation, another pleasing aspect for me is the Fiat camper chassis.

What you don't seem to be factoring in is the chassis set-up - either old or new, which will greatly impact on the overall driving experience. there is a significant difference between driving a bulky coach-built constructed on a bog standard chassis cab, compared to that of a low profile on an Alko or Fiat camper chassis, regardless of which derivative you choose.

It's not rocket science - most later versions of any vehicle will out-perform the previous model - I can't think of many exceptions to that case, but there are some! However this is a camper we're talking about, something that's going to do a few thousand miles each year [unless its a daily driver] and far less critical.

I seem to remember on another post you talked of a budget of around 25K?

Well I'm sure you can find a newer X250 around that figure [privately] if you work hard enough at it - last year I managed to get the van I really wanted at just under 3 years old, with air con, cruise, passenger airbag, solar panel, strike-back alarm and lots of other extras - for around that figure, so it can be done..... but remember some early [pre '09] models may suffer from reverse gear issues.

What is far more important is choosing the right van for you, regardless of cab option.

But do take on-board the power and chassis options [and bodywork] as part of the impact on driving experience.

You need to do as much homework as you can, before parting with all that money Steve.

Spend as much time looking around and under any potential purchase, as you would in it. Make sure you get the right layout [maybe hire one] before diving in. Everyone has there own requirements, I learnt early on never to buy a van without a decent external locker for example!

Don't let it faze you though, it's all part of the buying experience!

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2014-04-17 9:34 AM

I agree with Eddie, have a look at Ford or Renault base, IMO both offer better ergonomics than x244

should have said, the following year we bought our first CB it was a Ford based one....and only bought our first X250 in 2011 when the "judder" fiasco seemed to be well and truly over.

So if we need to go quality to avoid bodywork problems and non-Sevil based chassis to avoid chassis problems and more modern cab for good driving experience, it looks like an Autosleeper Eton.

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/auto-sleepers/eton/2007-autosleeper-eton-diesel-bridlington-mfpa-8ac196a041a057cf0141db2f9f2063c9/makemodel/make/auto-sleepers/model/eton

Just need to find one to drive.

Guest JudgeMental
if thats the layout you want..it looks like it has no external lockers, so how practical in use I wonder (^)

Yes it is the layout we want in a small van (must be under 6m). The Peugeot based ones do have an external locker (Nuevo). But thats on a Sevil chassis. Seems to be a compromise. We haven't been motorhomers before but have been caravanners several years ago. But that was in a small caravan that appeared to be made of cardboard! As ex-tenters we were just glad to have a solid roof over our heads.

We shall have a good look around the Peterborough show next weekend. But must admit to being just a little confused at the moment. Still lots more homework to do I feel. It also doesn't help that we only have a couple of dealers within 100 miles of us so difficult to get a feel for each individual model.

Of course if we had limitless funds.....

Out of interest does anyone on the forum own a 2007 Autosleeper Eton?

With such a small van X250 judder is very unlikely, also bear in mind out of the hundreds of thousands of X250's made the judder only effected a very small number.

The X250 is a far better drive than the Transit, better seating position & adjustable steering column. The deeper windscreen and wider cab will give a small van a much airier feeling.

Don't wright off an X250 until you have had good look to compare.

Guest JudgeMental
+ some serious road testing including reversing up hills (without clutch judder). But I agree with Lenny the Fiat a nicer chassis if you can find a good one...

Thanks for all the replies. We've just come back from looking at another Elddis 115 (saw one last week as well). Ally rot in most of the skirts and some showing at the base of the sidewalls. Last weeks was not as bad. Both 7 years old. Looking at the source of the problem it would seem that most would go the same way. Not a very long life for a (then) £26000 vehicle. IF I was not of such a generous nature I'd call it built in obsolescence. Needless to say any Elddis has disappeared off our list. But we had to go through that exercise just to convince ourselves.

I'm not going to discount the X250 chassis. I enjoyed the drive of the ones I've tried. I found some judder but that disappeared if I raised the revs slightly. Didn't try uphill though. But the X250 Autosleeper is just outside our budget limit. Older ones are within it. Is there some middle ground which has good build quality but doesn't have Rolls Royce fittings? But comfortable driving of the MH is almost as important as layout so It's crucial to get it right. You only pay out for it once but have to drive it every time you take it out.

globebuster - 2014-04-17 11:24 PM

Well try putting in an offer ;-)

NO WAY!!!

You have made entirely the right decision to walk away.

You do not know the full extent of the damp/corrosion/rot so do not even consider going there. Leave it for someone who has bottomless pockets to pick up.

Have you looked at any AutoTrails? They where quite decently built a few years ago and if you can find one on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis then you will have the added advantage of rear wheel drive.

Keith.

Sorry, my misunderstanding :$ In my defence it was early in the morning.

But yes totally agree if you (Steve that is) like the look of the AutoSleeper and it is over budget then why not try an offer. At the end of the day what is the worst that can happen, they say no and you walk away.

Keith.

I think I made the same mistake! My wife corrected me on that. I did consider what sort of offer I'd make on the Elddis in the small hours of this morning. But I want to buy a MH to use not to fix up. I have a 1968 classic car to do that with!

The trouble with considering MHs just outside our budget (so probably £27k and over) is that most are several hours away and chancing viewing those with the hope of an outside offer being excepted is a bit risky and potentially a waste of a day. But I'm sure one is bound to turn up at one of our local dealers eventually. We shall be at Peterborough next Saturday and have a good look round at the second hand ones on offer. Maybe walk round the camping areas and see if any have for sale signs on!!

I'll give the Autotrails a look in. Off to drive the Autocruise Starfire (2003) this morning to see how the wife likes it. I think they have a X250 version of the Starfire there as well so we can compare the feel.

Well Steve, given all the bad vibes I give most UK coach-builts - I'm glad your wife put you right!

As I've said before - you have to do the leg-work to get what you want at the right price.

Just pick up the phone first before travelling - get a 'feel' for who you might be dealing with, and more importantly ask all the salient questions before you jump in the car.

So bearing in mind I live on the Devon/Cornwall border -

My previous van was purchased for the Nottingham area for 15k and was as described, I sold it 8 months later for 18k and the buyer still got a good deal.

My current van was purchased from Brighton, although two days before I travelled to Dover to look at one, so a bit of a bummer to have driven back home in the intervening period!

I paid 25k for a sub 3 year old van, that are still selling on the forecourts for £30k

Time and travelling/collection expenses - are somewhat academic to get what you really want at the right price, there's also the comfort that your 'due diligence' gives some reassurance that you've picked the best of the bunch - but then I always buy privately.

If you don't go the extra you don't get the benefit, just look how many on here go overseas to get the best deal !!!

Thanks for that. I didn't realise that loads bought abroad.

We both work and have busy weekends so getting to view the right van at the right time (i.e before someone else grabs it...if it's a good van to you it will be to someone else too) can be a little difficult. Asking all the right questions first ......we're gradually finding out what the questions are!

Archived