My new bike

mikejkay

Collected yesterday. Not new but s/h and two years old, absolutely spotless. However, it was advertised as an Ellios bike.

My initial research suggested that it is an 2011 Aspes Elios. Bikesz show a virtually identical bike with a front light, which I think is an option, and a slightly different saddle, http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/aspes_elios_2011.php . New price given as 1750 euros, about £1450 at the current rate of exchange. I think that Aspes is an Italian Company.

Further research had dug up a chinese bike which also looks identical and has pretty much the same specification. This is the ZQTD-216 made by WUXI ANGELL AUTOCYCLE CO., LTD. My bike has ABAT and ANGELL printed on the frame. I have been unable to find a current price for this bike but the documentation indicates that it was marketed by Whoosh and is therefore unlikely to have been £1500'ish.

Specification as follows:

Model ZQTD-216 (W/EN)

Frame 26" Alloy frame

Front fork Rst alloy suspension

Head sets VP, Alloy thread ball

Handlebar & stem zoom, alloy adjustable

Hand grip Velo,soft pvc

Brake sets F/R tektro v-brake

Saddle Velo city lady type, alloy suspension seatpost

Pedals Alloy, W/Reflectors,9/16"

Cranke sets Lasco, alloy 170mm Cranks

BB set All sealed bearing,VP

Gear set Shimano ty 7 speed

F/R Hubs F/Hub, R/Motor

Spokes Stainless,SLE 14G/13G

Rim 26" Alloy double wall

Tires 26×1.75, Kenda

Motor type 250W36V Brushless alloy

Display 3 Mode W/On Off

Controller Speed sensor 36V brushless

Power system Two funtion, Throttle and Pedal assistant 1:1 PAS

Distance range (flat road) 55-65km

Weight 24.8KGS

Packing size(mm) 1380×270×870

Loading capacity 82pcs/20GP 200pcs/40HQ

Battery capacity 36V10Ah(lithium battery)

I went for a run this afternoon and it performed very well. However, and this will have JudgeMental laughing his socks off, it didn't like the (very steep) hill up to my house. I managed to pedal most of the way but I had to stop and push where the hill was particularly steep. One thing that nobody has mentiond though is that when I say I pushed I actually walked alongside the bike and twisted the throttle slightly. The bike actually pulled me along!

Battery indicator started on maximum (4) and dropped to 3 after about 3 miles. I stopped to go into a shop and the battery seemed to recover and indicated 4. Even after the hill climb it now reads 4 again. Presumably there is no means of checking the state of charge or would sticking multimeter probes into the battery socket give a meaningful reading. The battery plug socket has 2 + slots, 1 - and one with a 0.

The major concern that I had buying s/h was the likely problem of finding a replacement battery. I didn't want to have to go down the road of cobbling together a battery from individual cells. As the bike is not particularly old and Whoosh appear to sell new batteries I shouldn't have this problem.

Guest JudgeMental

not a very good judge of character Mike..why would I laugh, its your money..but an e bike that does not climb hills well a bit of a waste of time to be honest!

call these people they will tell you if its one of theirs and if they can supply a battery. you will probably need one.....

http://www.wooshbikes.co.uk/?batteries

Please everyone try before you buy and include a few hills 8-)

Very restrained Judge. But, it's horses for courses. This bike was bought for island hopping in the OUter Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland Isles. It will take the weight off my back even if I have to get off to climb a steep hill, although I don't anticipate any hills as steep as the one I climbed today in Paignton. Todays ride was to establish the bikes capabilities.

I did consider a Giant LaFree which has the motor located on the pedal shaft but it was considerably older and I was unable to find out whether I could have replaced the battery except by having one purpose built.

Do you have any comment about the two sources? Is it possible that the "italian"Aspes Elios is in fact the chinese ZQTD-216? Also, any comments about the overall specification? The only thing that I can see missing is disc brakes.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2014-04-17 10:19 PM

I think I've found it:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/white-elios/

£575.

Looks like you have Mel and I had already put link up......the bike which is standard Chinese

tat, says in advertising all up weight 95 kg, it will not do what Mike wants, will hardly carry him let alone equipment. at least you now have a dealer who can supply parts.

For everyone: I can't stress how important it is to try a bike before you buy! You cannot compare spec on paper and decide which is better there are simply to many variables, unless you know your electronics and if you did you would not be buying these type of bikes. It's all about the relationship between Battery, BMS, quality of cells in the battery, and what type of controller fitted, how that controller set up, quality of motor etc..etc....and it's power draw from battery to motor.........Similar looking bikes can be entirely different to ride, with very different ranges, if they have a demanding controller. But if cheap crap cells, and controller not delivering enough amps to motor, get to a hill and your walking up it.....

established firms deliver decent bikes, it really is as simple as that, they have a reputation to protect, and build on, and are in it for the long haul....plus like everything else you get what you pay for.

And if it can't get you up those hills what exactly is the point.

Mike,

How much did you pay for this Chinese 'ANGELL' bike?

It sounds as though you where sold it on a misconception that it was something that it quite obviously is not!

Unless you you picked it up for next to nothing it sounds like you need to contact the seller and ask for your money back as you have been sold a pup :'(

I think JM has summed it all up very succinctly!

Keith.

That's the one........almost! Mine does not have a front light and does have a "fatter" saddle although this latter could be a replacement. Also, mine has the labels on the frame.

I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't find this myself, I did quite a bit of searching. Shows the shortcomings of search engines. "white-elios doesn't come up when searching for "elios".

Anyway, many thanks Mel.

P.S. I've just noticed the weight limit. No wonder it struggled on my Paignton hill!

£290, which I think is not bad for a pristine bike that is two years old and which does 95% of what I need it foe and probably 100% in the islands. I should emphasise that going up a very steep hill it only baulked at two particularly steep spots and people seem to be ignoring the comment I made that at these points the bike pullde me along while I was walking alongside. I am sure that it will do the same with a heavy camera bag on the back so it will fulfil my requirements at a fraction ( 1/5 by my estimation) of the cost of a vorsprung durch technik machine.

Guest JudgeMental
mikejkay - 2014-04-18 11:57 AM

people seem to be ignoring the comment I made that at these points the bike pullde me along while I was walking alongside.

now thats the bit where I laughed..you really dont have a clue do you. with you its all about the money. and not the unbridled pleasure a decent e bike can bring.

Well Judge, I don't know about being clueless. I have been riding bikes since I was 10 years old, all around the world. I have ridden motorbikes, driven cars, driven off road 4WD vehicles, driven vans, driven mini buses, driven site vehicles and now I drive a 3.5 ton mh.

I am coming up to 70 and have dicky knees and heart failure. I think that I am the one who knows best what my requirements are. This bike was not bought for "unbridled pleasure" but to enable me to utilise my mh and to travel to places where my mh cannot reach while carrying some weighty camera gear. I suspect that my camera alone cost more than your electric bike so to say that it's all about the money is not correct.

The reason that I did not go for a £1500 to £2000 german bike is that it would not have been cost effective. The bike is a tool and, as such, I bought one that would do what I wanted it to do. Having bought this particular bike and having tried it out I am of the opinion that it will do exactly what I want it to do.

I can understand your passion for ebikes. I suspect that it is similar to mine with cameras. You want, and are prepared to pay for, the best despite the law of diminishing returns applying to both ebikes and cameras but that is no reason to sneer at others who don't feel the same way that you do. I certainly don't sneer at other camera owners (except Nikon owners that is).

Guest JudgeMental
where was I trying to persuade you to buy a german bike!lol I knew full well how tight you were but to buy this laughable to be honest. There is a shop right under your nose in your town that sell freego e bikes. you could at least of tried some there to get an "idea" of what to expect. At 2 years old that battery will probably need replacing....... I suggest you charge and run till flat and see what range you get before heading off to the hebrides 8-)

Guest JudgeMental

e zimmerfames? no not an area of expertise or at least not yet anyway :D

Mike please put the bike through its paces before you go..

As a very ancient pedal person I'm fascinated by the E bike. No doubt they are just right for those in need of them but I cannot believe the system is for long term use other than for a few jaunts at certain times of the year. (and why not of course).

I never hear of road reports by manufacturers giving distances covered and battery endurance measurements. Such as 'Across the Alps on an E bike'

When the small wheeled Moulton was produced there were distance records and achievements by known cyclists to advertise the product.

Yet all I read here are individual statements that 'a' is better than 'b' because ........

PS I'm getting quite good at studying Zimmer frames ! There's 3 models in our household and each one needs its parking place!

My new ebike pedals more easily without power asistance than my old "normal" bike. The old bike is a bit battered and decrepit, just like me. You should try an ebike, I intend to use mine on a fairly regular basis, notwithstanding the hills.

Will85 - 2014-04-18 7:16 PM

As a very ancient pedal person I'm fascinated by the E bike. No doubt they are just right for those in need of them but I cannot believe the system is for long term use other than for a few jaunts at certain times of the year. (and why not of course).

I never hear of road reports by manufacturers giving distances covered and battery endurance measurements. Such as 'Across the Alps on an E bike'

When the small wheeled Moulton was produced there were distance records and achievements by known cyclists to advertise the product.

Yet all I read here are individual statements that 'a' is better than 'b' because ........

PS I'm getting quite good at studying Zimmer frames ! There's 3 models in our household and each one needs its parking place!

Don't knock them Will until you've tried them! :-D

We like cycling on holiday but last year we couldn't do much because hubby's knee and hip were just too painful for him to put the pressure on to turn the pedals, consequently they just had a 'nice' holiday stuffed under the bed most of the time - we enjoy the odd jaunt on holiday and see a lot more on bike than if we are just walking so not being able to use our existing ones was a shame. Unfortunately in addition to hubby's problems, some days walking tires me extremely quickly and therefore limits how far I can realistically potter, so having the e-bikes means we won't be so dependent on getting parking spots near to where we want to go (to cut down the distance) as we can instead quickly hop on the e-bikes to get there and then have a potter round on foot for as long/little as I can manage, safe in the knowledge that I can just hop on the bike to get back to the van if I overdo it or if hubby's knee gives out again as it did last year when we went for a walk round. :-(

We'll also be using them at home too so they won't just be for holidays - hubby really wants to get his out and go for a ride but the weather's a bit changeable here at the moment so don't want to end up getting drenched! :D We'll be taking them to the Peterborough show and having a ride-round there on them as we like to mooch round the 'camping' areas to see friends and also if there are any 'private bargains' up for sale! (lol) We'll still take the bus into Peterborough itself though as we usually come back loaded up to the ears with stuff! *-)

mikejkay - 2014-04-19 11:29 AM

My new ebike pedals more easily without power asistance than my old "normal" bike. The old bike is a bit battered and decrepit, just like me. You should try an ebike, I intend to use mine on a fairly regular basis, notwithstanding the hills.

Same here Mike, I found our new folding ones much easier to ride in 'no-power' mode than our existing folding ones ... in fact at first I thought the motor had kicked in and was amazed at just how quiet it was ... until I realised it wasn't on at all!!!! :D

Got to agree with JudgeMental here , an E Bike that can't " eat " hills is truly next to useless , we bought ours as a towed car substitute so needed big range , the ability to " eat " hills , reliability , had to look good ( shallow I know ) and had great conventional bike spec !

You may need to reconsider your retail choice ! :-D

O dear. At risk of starting a war I would say that you, and others, don't seem to be reading the posts.

I don't want a bike that will eat hills. Nor do I want a bike that has a big range. To me, with health problems, my bike is more like a crutch. Yes, a "better" and more expensive bike will do all that mine can, and probably more, but mine fits my requirements. It is stylish, to my eyes, it is well made and it works well. I can't make a proper judgement on range but after a 5 mile trip, with a steep hill at the end, the battery indicator shows full charge. May be wrong, I'll find out in due course.

The main criticism that I have heard is about the hill climbing capability and, yes, the bike was unable to haul 110kg + up a steep hill that to get up parts of which in my mh I have to drop down to first gear. However, both you and others have ignored the fact that even if I have to get off I can still carry things on /in the pannier and the bike will happily pull me along. I am not sure that any standard ebike could haul 110kg + up this particular hill. Ebikes are, after all, electrically assisted bikes not electric motorbikes.

Only time will tell. I may, after this summers tour, feel morally obliged to write a grovelling apology!

Guest JudgeMental
mikejkay - 2014-04-18 1:22 PM

I'll make sure to let you know how I get on in Scotland. Any advice on electric zimmerframes?

Here you go ...more comfortable as well, no stopping some and good luck to them! on BBC news this morning :-D

http://disabledramblers.co.uk

mikejkay - 2014-04-18 12:29 PM

Well Judge, I don't know about being clueless. I have been riding bikes since I was 10 years old, all around the world. I have ridden motorbikes, driven cars, driven off road 4WD vehicles, driven vans, driven mini buses, driven site vehicles and now I drive a 3.5 ton mh.

I am coming up to 70 and have dicky knees and heart failure. I think that I am the one who knows best what my requirements are. This bike was not bought for "unbridled pleasure" but to enable me to utilise my mh and to travel to places where my mh cannot reach while carrying some weighty camera gear. I suspect that my camera alone cost more than your electric bike so to say that it's all about the money is not correct.

The reason that I did not go for a £1500 to £2000 german bike is that it would not have been cost effective. The bike is a tool and, as such, I bought one that would do what I wanted it to do. Having bought this particular bike and having tried it out I am of the opinion that it will do exactly what I want it to do.

I can understand your passion for ebikes. I suspect that it is similar to mine with cameras. You want, and are prepared to pay for, the best despite the law of diminishing returns applying to both ebikes and cameras but that is no reason to sneer at others who don't feel the same way that you do. I certainly don't sneer at other camera owners (except Nikon owners that is).

Hope you enjoy ya bike Mike , if your happy with it then great never mind if it's not an all dancing / singing F1 German ebike , happy ebiking

Archived